cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fraud $4000

We as a seller were just victims of a fraud on eBay on a transaction of $4000. We sold an item to a buyer, after a few days he filled a claim on eBay that the device doesn't turns on. We suggested to call the manufacture for warranty purposes, he denied. We were obligated in this case to accept the return and pay postage. Upon arrival there were only 3 boxes of copy paper. We immediately called eBay, they suggested not to escalate the case because we will immediately will loss it, they asked that somebody at the high value department calls me back. I talked to an agent and he said he will send a request to check this buyer and if they find he was abusing their servers, etc. In the meantime the buyer escalated the case and was closed in his favor. I called again eBay and asked to talk to the same department, Dave called us and asked my name, then the call was disconnected, he didn't call back and there is no way to reach them directly. After a half an hour we got an email from him starting "I am reaching out to you as a follow up to our phone conversation" and that he read the details and that the decision was made and final.

I have made a further research since eBay didn't make it and sent an email to the high value department with new evidences. This buyer was arrested a few times in the past by the police for theft of goods. We also sent to eBay a copy of their USPS label confirming he shipped 16.8 lbs, almost 7 lbs less than the original weight of this device. We didn't receive any reply just a new email they they decision was final.

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: eBay fraud $4000

@siayan wrote:

I don't have any specific advice but just a thought.

Until this problem is addressed where it is supposed to be it will not be solved. 

In the United States, mail and wire fraud is any fraudulent scheme to intentionally deprive another of property or honest services via mail or wire communication. It has been a federal crime in the United States since 1872.

With the increased online selling the Post Office needs to step up here. They should set up a program where packages can be opened in from of an employee and contents noted. They should them investigate mail fraud and prosecute. A few publicized cases would cut this down. I don't think this would stop it but this is the law that is being broken, eBay is stuck in the middle.

ebay placed themslves in the middle, and they can pull themselves out of the middle at any time they choose.  

Message 121 of 164
latest reply

@glehns wrote:
Hi, where is this thread?

The link to the thread about the forced refund for the ripoff of a $28,300 Rolex (not $24,000) is here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Buyers-sends-back-empty-box-we-are-told-to-issue-refun...

I can't find the thread about the seller who got a box of junk auto parts sent back in return, although I remember it well because he posted a photo of what came back. Sitting on top of the pile in the box, apparently to add weight, was a rusty automotive front brake rotor. I've tried searching for that thread with various keywords without success; it may be too old to retrieve now.

Message 122 of 164
latest reply

@glehns wrote:
We are doing this, thank you for writing. Before we went into legal issues, we were trying to have this resolved with eBay as this is their fault. We provided the weight of the label we paid to eBay to the high value department and they refunded the buyer.

I am so confused. I did not read all 7 pages of this thread...are you saying

the buyer ripped you off --$4000 and ebay did nothing?

Message 123 of 164
latest reply

Exactly.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 124 of 164
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

@glehns wrote:
We are doing this, thank you for writing. Before we went into legal issues, we were trying to have this resolved with eBay as this is their fault. We provided the weight of the label we paid to eBay to the high value department and they refunded the buyer.

I am so confused. I did not read all 7 pages of this thread...are you saying

the buyer ripped you off --$4000 and ebay did nothing?

Ebay did plenty, according to OP, ebay gave the buyer a refund when they sent something back. IT didn't matter that what was sent wasn't the item they were supposed to return, just something.  

Message 125 of 164
latest reply

so the seller basically upheld their end of the bargain by shipping

ebay charged them plenty in fee's 

and did not help the seller when the buyer commits fraud???

schemes within schemes
the serpent is a good sign
someday you may swallow yourself
by accident
Message 126 of 164
latest reply

I donot agree with the only list what you can afford to lose. That is something I feel is not right. I am selling on here to just get by. I have been scamed before. I can not afford to lose nothing. So if I took that advice I would list nothing. I am on here for fair honest trade. Not to list things I can afford to lose. That is stupid in my opinion. I am sure most can not afford to lose all they have listed. 

Message 127 of 164
latest reply

Correct.

Ebay should put their own money up for SNAD disputes. IF IT was ebay money on the line they would look into the SNAD claims a lot more closely.

Message 128 of 164
latest reply

"I am selling on here to just get by. I have been scamed before. I can not afford to lose nothing. So if I took that advice I would list nothing. I am on here for fair honest trade. Not to list things I can afford to lose. That is stupid in my opinion"

----------

It may sound stupid, but it is the reality here.

Everyone who lists here takes a risk.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 129 of 164
latest reply

Thanks a lot!
Message 130 of 164
latest reply

Correct, even after providing them evidence he didn't ship the item.
Message 131 of 164
latest reply

contact police, FBI and any appropriate agency! BTW when such expensive items are dispatched it should be recorded. I heard many buyers open return case and send back cheap unreal items not the 1 which seller sent them. You need to tell your possible fraudulent buyer that you need evidence they sent you right thing

Message 132 of 164
latest reply

@glehns wrote:
Correct, even after providing them evidence he didn't ship the item.

I feel like something is missing.

a known thief with a criminal record for fraud steals $4000 from you....

they are zero feedback....you are a trusted longtime seller

and nothing gets done to help you?

@Trinton @ebay sails in here and says he is going to help then says he can't comment but the appropriate action was taken.....

and it really was no action? 

please telll me I am misreading this.

Message 133 of 164
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

please telll me I am misreading this.

Nope.  Ya' dun got it.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 134 of 164
latest reply

Well, you did miss the part where they sort of scolded OP in the chat last week when it was brought up there that they hadn't done anything.

And there was the comment today regarding similar incidents where they said they can't close buyer accounts over it.

Message 135 of 164
latest reply