cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fraud $4000

We as a seller were just victims of a fraud on eBay on a transaction of $4000. We sold an item to a buyer, after a few days he filled a claim on eBay that the device doesn't turns on. We suggested to call the manufacture for warranty purposes, he denied. We were obligated in this case to accept the return and pay postage. Upon arrival there were only 3 boxes of copy paper. We immediately called eBay, they suggested not to escalate the case because we will immediately will loss it, they asked that somebody at the high value department calls me back. I talked to an agent and he said he will send a request to check this buyer and if they find he was abusing their servers, etc. In the meantime the buyer escalated the case and was closed in his favor. I called again eBay and asked to talk to the same department, Dave called us and asked my name, then the call was disconnected, he didn't call back and there is no way to reach them directly. After a half an hour we got an email from him starting "I am reaching out to you as a follow up to our phone conversation" and that he read the details and that the decision was made and final.

I have made a further research since eBay didn't make it and sent an email to the high value department with new evidences. This buyer was arrested a few times in the past by the police for theft of goods. We also sent to eBay a copy of their USPS label confirming he shipped 16.8 lbs, almost 7 lbs less than the original weight of this device. We didn't receive any reply just a new email they they decision was final.

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

eBay fraud $4000

@Anonymous can you please help this seller out??? 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Thanks. Just to add. This buyer is still a member and when he purchased from us he was a new one and eBay didn't do anything to assist us.
Message 3 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glehns wrote:

We as a seller were just victims of a fraud on eBay on a transaction of $4000. We sold an item to a buyer, after a few days he filled a claim on eBay that the device doesn't turns on. We suggested to call the manufacture for warranty purposes, he denied. We were obligated in this case to accept the return and pay postage. Upon arrival there were only 3 boxes of copy paper. We immediately called eBay, they suggested not to escalate the case because we will immediately will loss it, they asked that somebody at the high value department calls me back. I talked to an agent and he said he will send a request to check this buyer and if they find he was abusing their servers, etc. In the meantime the buyer escalated the case and was closed in his favor. I called again eBay and asked to talk to the same department, Dave called us and asked my name, then the call was disconnected, he didn't call back and there is no way to reach them directly. After a half an hour we got an email from him starting "I am reaching out to you as a follow up to our phone conversation" and that he read the details and that the decision was made and final.

I have made a further research since eBay didn't make it and sent an email to the high value department with new evidences. This buyer was arrested a few times in the past by the police for theft of goods. We also sent to eBay a copy of their USPS label confirming he shipped 16.8 lbs, almost 7 lbs less than the original weight of this device. We didn't receive any reply just a new email they they decision was final.

I would love to have this reviewed to ensure everything was handled appropriately. I can't imagine the stress this may have put you through and will be sure to have this looked over as soon as I get some details. Can you email askcommunity@eBay.com from the address on file with details? Looking forward to working with you!

Message 4 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Hi, I'm sending the details immediately to you. Thank you.
Message 5 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Best of Luck Dotphins on getting a resolution to this!!! I hope one way or another your able to get a solution that doesn't leave you out in the cold either it be through Ebay or filing mail fraud charges against them. 

Message 6 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

What did you learn from this experience, OP?

If eBay reimburses you, it's only for to avoid negative publicity. What happened to you is ABSOLUTELY a risk of doing mail-order business. When faulty returns happen, you bear the full brunt, which you can write off on your taxes if you made enough profit to do that...or raise your prices on all items as you go along in anticipation of losses.

This is not eBay's cost, and that's as simple as it gets.

The cost of a faulty return is still very cheap in comparison with running a real business.

Sellers' business expenses are not eBay's loss or eBay's problem.

Don't confuse those facts with anyone saying it's ok to rip people off, which is just an opinion based on a person's belief in and investment in conforming to social norms.

Learn ^^^^^^^ and only list when you can afford to LOSE.

PS  All this drama on the boards is meaningless.  The buyer can lose the case on eBay and immediately file another one with PayPal, which you will lose...or a chargeback, which you would also lose.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Wow... what a useful post...
Message 8 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

No kidding Gary...I sure wish we still had the ignore feature.
Message 9 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Re: eBay fraud $4000[ New ]
in reply to
@baggs-2017 wrote:

Yes, I believe someone should ask in chat today if Signature Confirmation is required on a return for an ebay money-back guarantee case.  Their policy states that it is.  Let's get them to answer that.  Interesting to see if it's okay for this rule to be broken.  Will set a great precedent if it's okay.  If it's okay for one to break it, it will become okay for all, agreed?  Surely they will abide by their own written policy?

When will a return require my signature to confirm delivery?

A seller's signature confirmation is only required when the price of the item is over $750 and the buyer purchased the item using PayPal. In these situations, when you or your buyer uses an eBay return shipping label, it will automatically include signature confirmation on items over $750. If you are uploading your own return shipping label, be sure to include signature confirmation for items over $750.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/faq/returns.html#m22_tb_a3__9

Copied this from the locked seller board thread.  OP, do you have a signature on the delivery confirmation?  Was one required when you received this delivery?

Message 10 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

From what I have read on the other post, I don't think it was given when label was provided through ebay return label. Which was part of the discussion. 

Message 11 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

So again, ebay not abiding by its own policies.  According to ebay, if the item did not require a signature, and its value was over $750, it was not returned according to their policies.  And if it was an ebay label, it "should have been automatically included".  If it was not, it would seem that this case is not valid as the buyer did not comply with the money-back guarantee requirements, verified by written policy.  That would put the onus on ebay to recover a signature from their signature confirmation.

Message 12 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

Sellers expenses an risk of doing business online or mail order is yes on the seller and their business, however Ebay is suppose to have guidelines, regulations, policies in place to prevent such abuse of these types of things an items. While yes for the most part Ebay is a buyers place an in alot of cases the customer is right an that is typical business fashion, however being taken advantage of, having items stolen, fraud happening, abuse of buyers options on returns, feedback, etc......Should NOT be allowed to continue as it does, an the sellers on Ebay taking the hit typically. There are risk with any business and I agree not to bite off more than you can afford to lose, but when doing as Ebay's policy an rules require, we all hope when one is being taken advantage of in such case Ebay will rightfully investigate the circumstances an all details involved.

Message 13 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

I 100% completely agree with you, from what I read in the other post, it was a ebay return label used, which I think is part of the sellers frustration when contacting Ebay and getting the response that they did. When trying to sort the situation out. 

Message 14 of 164
latest reply

eBay fraud $4000

I would request a copy of my "online viewable proof of delivery, with signature confirmation" that is a REQUIREMENT of any return, ebay or buyer/seller purchased, that is over $750.  

Message 15 of 164
latest reply