cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Selling is not what it used to be

I’ve been on eBay since 1999.  I used to buy/sell a ton, but slowed down because I found it wasn’t worth the hassle.  I decided to get rid of some things recently and created a couple of auctions, one of which ensures I am done selling forever on eBay. 

Listed a “grab bag” of used watches I had.  These are all $300-$500 watches that I have that were in used condition.  I took a group picture and one individual picture and accurately described them.  Starting bid was $100 and someone bid them up to $305.  I also donated 10% to charity.  

Disclaimer: my eBay understanding dates back about a decade, so I’ve missed a few of these “enhancements” that are all completely unfavorable to the seller. 

First issue: non-payment and no communication after sale after repeated attempts.  Filed non-paying bidder report, which used to give you the option to immediately move on and re-list.  Even after a week, I couldn’t find where I was supposed to click “re-list”.  I had to wait for this deadbeat to scrape funds together.  The only communication I received was an unapologetic note, basically telling me I’d get the funds when he clears up some financial issues.  I responded, “okay, thanks” and continued to look for the “move on and sell to someone else” button, to no avail. 

After I sold the watches, they spent a week in transit.  About 5 days later, I got a refund request stating that the watches were “not as described” and nowhere near “ready to wear”.  I never said that.  They all had dead batteries and needed to be cleaned up.  Looking at this guy’s feedback, he’s a flipper who buys lots and sells off the pieces.  That’s fine, but I know he overpaid for my lot knowing that and he quickly learned that too.   I told him the auction description was accurate,  and the watches were all pictured.  My inexperience selling comes into play here because I didn’t see a “say hell no” to a return button, so I offered a $1 partial refund with my explanation to basically deny the request.  I didn’t see another way to close the request that didn’t involve honoring a refund.  I had also offered free shipping on the item (MISTAKE) and didn’t want to be out shipping both ways to a guy I knew just had buyer’s remorse because he is broke.  

He responded with a profanity-laced note accusing me of all sorts of things, again, demanding the refund.  What part of “as-is, no returns” is unclear?  I went to explore the refund options and hit “continue” to see what my options were now that the $1 partial refund was rejected.  DO NOT HIT “CONTINUE”.  Apparently in eBay’s world, “continue” means “submit”.  Not surprised, given how quickly eBay appears to want to appease buyers.  I inadvertently offered this guy a full refund.  Super.  I now have to pay for another return label.

Because I don’t keep money in my PayPal account, my account went negative $300 over a holiday.  Mr. “took 8 days to pay” becomes the fastest return shipper in the world while PayPal crawls to withdraw money from my checking.  eBay sends me multiple reminders to submit the refund.  I click “submit” and get an error message.  One morning I wake up to an email that says the buyer has asked eBay to step in and they will research and get back to me (3:10 AM).  At 3:42 AM, my checking account is debited and the refund is processed.  They move quickly for buyers, but made me wait this non-paying bidder out?

I also wanted to dispute the validity of his return, as it was his way of backing out of the auction.  I disputed that he returned the items for an invalid reason.  The response?  “Thanks for reporting it.  Please refund his money.”

Meanwhile, so much time has passed that the charitable withdrawal also hits.  I can live with that, but they moved awfully fast on that too.

I inevitably receive negative feedback.  I’m not placating a guy who attacked me for abiding by the terms of my auction.   I cannot leave the buyer much-deserved negative feedback.  Also, this one negative feedback drops me from 1000+ 100% positive rating over 20 years to 91% because apparently now feedback only dates back a year?   No wonder everyone’s feedback is so high.  

I can’t sell anything with a 91% rating and I’m not asking this jerk to remove his feedback after he attacked me (which I had to report as a “threat” since there was no other drop down in this idiotic UI to report a buyer.”

Sorry for the long story, but this is more of a cautionary tale for infrequent eBayers.  

1. The 100% eBay guarantee will absolutely guarantee that the seller gets screwed. 
2.  I’m not sure if I would have been forced to refund the initial shipping fee had I not picked “free” to be nice, but I ate $10 outbound and $10 on the return. 
3.  Charity gets their money, which isn’t the end of the world, but that’s $30 for a 10% auction.  
4.  Zero recourse for the bidder who pulled this.  I cannot leave him negative feedback.  
5.  I’m out $50 and I’m stuck with watches that I’m going to now sell on another platform...or keep.  

I’m sure there are long-time sellers who will disagree because they deal in volume and are also well aware of the ever-changing policies at eBay.  eBay knows that sellers will always come and agree to these unfavorable terms.  eBay is no longer a place for the casual seller.  It’s now a platform heavily biased in favor of the buyer and I will never sell on this site again.

I can’t leave negative feedback for a guy who calls me an “effing a-hole” and a myriad of other names for denying a return?  Okay.  Eff you, eBay. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Oh I never plan on selling here again.  Why even have a “no returns” option if there is a giant blue button on every auction to initiate a return?

Just tried closing my account.  In addition to being stuck here because I have a recent auction, I apparently also owe fees on an auction they forced the return on.  “Sorry to see you go, let’s chat” leads to a virtual assistant.  

Best of luck to all of you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Ebay selling is not what it used to be? And you are only NOW drawing that conclusion?  I must say, that no doubt, you have been enjoying a privileged 21 year tenure. 😊

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I guess your buyer didn't understand the "As-Is" part Because it was never mentioned in the listing. You mentioned that the are "Pre-Owned", " Very Good Watches", and " Need Batteries". This might lead someone to believe that they are "Ready to wear" once the batteries are replaced. EBay's Money Back Guarantee always trumps s seller's Return Policy.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you. As you have learned, you can't really fight a case in which the buyer claims "not as described". Best is just to accept the return and refund.

Just so you know, in a return for not as described case, you (the seller) pays shipping both ways, no matter how the listing is set up.

Also, offering $1 is kind of an insult. You might have saved this sale if you offered a bigger partial refund.

You will still be able to sell on ebay even though this dropped your feedback to 91% if you have items people want. Anyone that looks will see that you are a low volume seller, and just 1 negative will lower your score like that.

Keep trying if that is what you want to do, and be sure to accurately described your items in the listings.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I need to modify my prior post. You probably won't be able to sell on eBay anymore because of the return feedback you gave the buyer. If you had handled it professionally, you could have saved your reputation, but calling a buyer a liar does not endear yourself to other buyers, no matter how this buyer treated you.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Oh I never plan on selling here again.  Why even have a “no returns” option if there is a giant blue button on every auction to initiate a return?

Just tried closing my account.  In addition to being stuck here because I have a recent auction, I apparently also owe fees on an auction they forced the return on.  “Sorry to see you go, let’s chat” leads to a virtual assistant.  

Best of luck to all of you.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

On my last 27 auction listings that I have had on ebay, not one item sold. Ive never had trouble selling on auction style listings. Something is not right.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have been a seller on ebay over 20yrs and cannot handle all new **bleep**, i want to know what other site any of you all are finding that work well,i dont plan on a return seller here. thanks all

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I sold and item recently for $20. Item was pictured and described in detail. Sold "As Is". Buyer never contacted me saying their was a problem, instead he filed for a return refund and Ebay accepted it and charged me for the refund- never contacted me. WTH? 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

All on line sites have pitfalls for sellers. You need to know the rules and how to follow them. It's called a cost of doing business. If you can't afford that, you probably need to look into places like Craigslist and flea markets.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@computech-one wrote:

I sold and item recently for $20. Item was pictured and described in detail. Sold "As Is". Buyer never contacted me saying their was a problem, instead he filed for a return refund and Ebay accepted it and charged me for the refund- never contacted me. WTH? 

Are you referring to this listing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284303544971

If so, you listed it as "Used" which means "Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections."

Burying "as is" in the description is insufficient and in eBay's eyes it's meaningless if it conflicts with what is in the Condition field.

eBay did the right thing, you did the wrong thing. Likely unintended but your listing was misleading, if you had listed it with the Condition "As Is - For Parts Only" you probably would have won the return claim.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply