cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay, How can I protect myself from freight forwarding buyers?

Once again, a freight forward buyer claims damage but can't return the item after using a U.S. ship-to address to have the item shipped overseas. These buyers are not even covered under eBay's money-back guarantee, but I am at the mercy of selling to them and then having them claim damage when there was no damage during picture taking or before shipping. If the item is purchased and I cancel the sale, the FF buyer can leave negative. If I ship the item and they claim damage, I can't help them even though I offer free 30-day returns. This problem ONLY exists with these freight forward buyers and eBay refuses to support top-rated sellers from the negative feedback abuse.  I even state in my listing that if you are an overseas buyer DO NOT PURCHASE unless you can return the item. eBay won't even support that statement and allows the abuse to continue

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@chasearooauctions wrote:

I have no problem with it reaching its U.S. destination, but from there, it forwards to Guatemala. On the way, it gets damaged, the buyer in Guatemala won't return it because he won't pay the price and my 30-day return won't help him because he lied and stated his shipping address is in Deleware. So, he leaves negative feedback and eBay won't remove it even though it is 100% out of my control.

So basically...

Freight forwarder sale:  You don't have to worry about returns but you might get a negative feedback.

Non-freight forwarder sale: You do have to worry about returns and you can still get a negative feedback. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations

View Best Answer in original post

Message 25 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Accept the return and provide a label. The label would be from the Forwarders address so it's up to the buyer to get the item back to the forwarder or pay for the return shipping from their actual location.

At least 9 times out of 10 that will be the last you will hear about it.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

You can't.

Do NOT cancel- more go good than bad; by far

By the way, taking pictures does nothing. 

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

With all due respect, what do you care what happens to your item once it reaches it's US destination?

And why can't a freight forward return an item? Sure they can.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I always take a photo(s) of package all wrapped up  and send it in an email...item is in the mail and it might take longer to get to them. I also use the words "freight forward" as I want them to know I know how it is being shipped. I also make it a point that I tell them I understand it is going from USA  to their country. You can usually see Buyer ID country.

Here's what has happened to me...item does not get scanned as "delivered" in Florida or Delaware...it becomes an open scan forever....lucky for me thus far all my "freight forward" buyers were honest.

A buyer can claim item not received if it is not scanned as "delivered" in Florida or Delaware or whatever state.

And I never leave feedback first for something going "freight forward". Buyer leaves it first.

I do google some addresses of some buyers to see if item is going freight forward and well as checking their feedback. Hope this helps in the future.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

If they can't return the item to the US, that's their problem.

Accept the return and provide a shipping label, then leave it up to the buyer.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Do you know if it is true that when a Return Label is issued through eBay the cost of the Label is not charged unless the label is actually used?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Do you know if it is true that when a Return Label is issued through eBay the cost of the Label is not charged unless the label is actually used?

No, you are not charged for it unless the label has been used.

Have a great day.
Message 8 of 37
latest reply

They are still covered by parts of the MBG, specifically the Not As Described.

You are still allowed to demand return before refund, even if you have a No Returns policy.

The part you have missed is that you send a Return Shipping Label for the address you shipped to, the forwarder.

It's up to the customer to get the unwanted purchase back to the forwarder and to persuade/pay them to use the label you have supplied.

A convo with tyler@ebay  a couple of years ago:

Now -- if the GSP is not involved, but the buyer uses a freight forwarder, does the seller provide Return Shipping from the forwarding address or from the buyer's address?

Oooh this is a good clarification question @femmefan1946! A seller is only required to provide return shipping from the buyer's input address at time of checkout - that goes for any return where a seller provides shipping ('free' returns, etc).
 https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/All-Items-Are-Free/m-p/31966203#M1772511
Message #20 from tyler

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

I have no problem with it reaching its U.S. destination, but from there, it forwards to Guatemala. On the way, it gets damaged, the buyer in Guatemala won't return it because he won't pay the price and my 30-day return won't help him because he lied and stated his shipping address is in Deleware. So, he leaves negative feedback and eBay won't remove it even though it is 100% out of my control.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

The problem is, that they don't open a return because the cost to return to the U.S. is too expensive.  The free return only covers from their ship to address (freight forward) back to me. eBay won't remove the negative feedback. Yet, if they were in the U.S. or used eBay international shipping, they are covered. It's a HUGE gap that eBay has no interest in solving. 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

The problem is, that they don't open a return because the cost to return to the U.S. is too expensive.  The free return only covers from their ship to address (freight forward) back to me. eBay won't remove the negative feedback. Yet, if they were in the U.S. or used eBay international shipping, they are covered. It's a HUGE gap that eBay has no interest in solving. 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

You're not getting the "delivered: scan because that's USPS. UPS and FEDEX will always show delivered. 

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Just keep the negative and the buyer's money if they won't send it back. The way eBay has feedback all mixed up now, that neg isn't even showing on page 1 unless you change the new default sort.

If it were me, I'd rather have the money and a negative than not the money and a broken item returned.

And buyers that use forwarders probably pay less and get their stuff faster than EIS.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

IMG_9937.JPGIMG_9942.JPG

So, are you saying USPS doesn't scan items but this item you mailed WAS "freight forward" was UPS or FedEx?

Message 15 of 37
latest reply