cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay BASEBALL for 2022 America VS 1099K OFFICIAL RULES

RULES > BASE HITS / 1st 2nd 3rd PRODUCT HITS  / HOME RUNS and THE GRAND SLAM ITEM. AND the NASTY STRIKE OUTS 

very simple like eBay use to be. have a few items in your home like a simple PEZ DESPENSER  or old SUGAR BOWL SIMPLE.  And it provided a simple LIFE LINE for so many in a not so simple world with ups and downs for most anyone to get by and so many lives changed.

Today the game has changed for me. And I look at it like baseball. They use to let anybody play But now it's changing to the big game players ONLY. 

THE RULES STILL APPLY  BUT WILL THE RULES APPLY EQUAL ? 

The BASE HIT > list a item and it's stuck on first base YOU DID NOT MAKE ANYTHING = sold it at a lost

2nd BASE ITEM > you made a buck YOU MADE A BUCK SHIPPED AT A LOST = STILL A LOST 

3rd BASE ITEM > You made a couple of bucks > But eBay GETS IT 

HOME PLATE RUN > you score WOW YOU made a little profit 

HOME RUN > WOW YOU DOUBLED YOUR MONEY LESS FEES 

THE GRAND SLAM. > YOU MAKE A PROFIT PLUS A FEW EXTRA BUCKS AS WELL > Just like a grand slam it's rare for MOM AND POPS But it can and does happen. BUT MORE RARE TODAY

Those NASTY STRIKE OUTS Today there are so many items you wished you never listed. TOO MANY AND IT  WILL COST YOU THE GAME 

I was once told OH you eBay. " I through that was only for desperate people " The life line IN FACT I WAS PUTTING FOOD ON THE TABLE at that time. And again with this economy A lot is going to food and Medicine . But less of it due to high inflation. Seems life is a circle!

Getting back to eBay Base Ball A NEW TEAM has entered the game 1099K to take what's left on the table

And the game has gotten much harder today with too many players.  The big teams will be taking over.

this new 1099K team makes their OWN RULES like THATS ALL PROFIT? What a JOKE they can even ruin a country ? NO NAMES and eBay does a good job of keeping me out of trouble! So no details or my post will disappear

Lets say you sold around 15000. for 2022  Now back in the 90's if a Business earned 15000 for the year 

THATS BANKRUTH But according to the system it does say it takes up to 2 to 7 years to get that number higher or business profitable.  WITH PROPER BACKING. 

Anyway at 15000 in sales you should get your proper losses. you may of sold 15000 but no way in hell DID YOU EARN 15000

When all is said and done you may of broke 1000.00 So lets say you only had one GRANDSLAM a COUPLE OF HOME RUNS. A FEW BASE HITS and a LOT OF STRIKE OUTS!  It took you a lot to earn 15000 and if you picked up items years ago remove MSR with added inflation cost and you only get half of what you paid for it. That is selling at a lost.. Like me I give a lot away. Keep in mind SOME MONEY IS BETTER THEN NO MONEY IN HARD TIMES!

So I tried it for 2022 and if 1099K wants to put us on the HAMSTER WHEEL and charge TAX on that TAX for 2023 to be taxed again and so on... And the poor item has been TAXED SO MUCH TILL THER IS NOTHING ON THE TABLE FOR ANYBODY!    FOR ME After 25 years of eBaying  I may have to pull the plug.  I just can't go Backwards at this age.  and I do fell sorry for the KIDS TODAY I Don't expect 2023 to be a good year. 

I have a meeting with my Tax person JAN 4  I may or may not be eBaying after that

Thank you eBay for the life line of 25 years it was a good ride when I needed it most. 

How did you do for 2022 ? If you have the money to pay the new TAX in the Bank from eBay your doing good. If not your going to go BACKWARDS It's a HAMPSTER WHEEL trap DIGGING A DEEPER HOLE

And for those of you who do have buckets of money from eBay. YOUR BLESSED  

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

For me nothing has changed since I have always paid my taxes and was never over the original 1099 reporting threshold. The new reporting threshold changed nothing for me. What has caused more of an impact over the last couple of years is the rising costs and the need to adjust my pricing to sustain an acceptable rate of return. 

Factoring in the FVF's on things like sales tax and increasing shipping costs and adjusting my prices based on those changes is a constant exercise. Where I use free shipping, which is seldom these days, constant adjustments to pricing to account for increased shipping costs and finding the best shipping alternative is also time consuming. It is becoming a challenge to remain in the competitive market range with some items especially larger heavier items. 

So yes it is a game of sorts with multiple teams in the playing field but I still play the game although not on the scale that I used to. 

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

If you are selling things around the house, anything above 1c is Profit since it was just 'sitting' in a cupboard or closet. Therefore, anything you sell and make something on, is a Grand Slam!

If you are selling things that you are buying to make a buck, just like a 'SKILLED' Baseball Player- they get paid no matter what the days outcome is. 

The 'wannabe' player may not EVER get paid- because they didn't prepare properly or simply don't have the 'talent' for that game. 

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I always said eBaying is not for everybody. in the early days I saw a lot of tears at the post office window. And some folks just don't know how to pack things. A lot of folks was thinking eBaying was EASY MONEY! It's a lot of work.

EVERYTHING HAS A VALUE.  In the U.S. we also have a department of FAIR TRADE. Sort of a oversite of products and services. There are also regulations for MFSR.  Everything has a value Someone has already paid for that service or product at wholesale or MFSR Also regulated by US MINUMIN WAGE STANDARDS. 

The only way to determine fair market value is by using MFSR and depreciation. There is no BLUEBOOK for stuff. However value can be determined by something like a auction or what folks are willing to pay.  NO SELL NO VALUE. AUCTIONS can determine a VALUE. If that's the case that can become the new market value.. But WAIT. If that is the new market value?    At what point and level becomes profit and loss? 

You can also get into time stamps and inflation cost.. 

There is no end to figuring this. If you paid 500 for a item and sold it for 250. Your selling it at a loss of 250 with fees & labor. It you want to add inflation for todays replacement value at 750. 

Some folks have millions yet only earn a DOLLAR a YEAR PLAYING THIS GAME > JUST SAYING

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

We all pay taxes on PROFITS To me there is surviving and the cost of living first 

I don't see how killing the kitchen table business will help anybody. Many BUSINESS started on the kitchen table or in the garage like Apple or the Beatles. They did whatever they needed to  to survive first before they became a legal TAX PAYING business. 

Today they want to MICRO MANAGE EVERYTHING and limit trade That never works.  

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

It is sad when someone just gives up out of frustration over easily managed issues.  It is something much worse when that person tried to spread his negativity to discourage others’ success.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

I AGREE WITH THAT. Who knew that such a simple program would grow into what it is today and become so complicated and have such a economic impact on people. 

And I do wish the solution stayed as SIMPLE and POSITIVE as it once was. 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

" And I do wish the solution stayed as SIMPLE and POSITIVE as it once was"

With 1.5 billion listings, and over thirty million sellers worldwide, those days are gone. Everything in life changes. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Thinking about this, at what point do we stop saying nothing as they squeeze the population with crazy laws that restrict the right of freedom and prosperity for all. 

when it's negative .and unbalanced and we say nothing.  Well you don't have to look far to see what's coming.

Just think when they can trace DNA and figure a way to past a law holding future FAMILY MEMBERS responsible for TAXES that your great grandfather did not pay in the 1800's  our your kids for trading BASEBALL CARDS in SCHOOL. At what point do we draw the line and say nothing.  At what point are we making money and at what point are we making ends meet.  

They have the numbers on what it takes to live on in he USA.  BUT DUE TO SEVERE MISMANGEMENT and I can't give you those details here They are going after everything and anything they can think of >> TO MAKE ENDS MEET! I GUESS WE CAN SAY THEY ARE NOW NEW eBayers TOO.  WOW.. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

So true everything changes. I bet the inside operations of eBay is a total madhouse today!

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

We all pay taxes on PROFITS To me there is surviving and the cost of living first 

I don't see how killing the kitchen table business will help anybody. Many BUSINESS started on the kitchen table or in the garage like Apple or the Beatles. They did whatever they needed to  to survive first before they became a legal TAX PAYING business. 

Today they want to MICRO MANAGE EVERYTHING and limit trade That never works.  

I am quite sure Apple and the Beatles both paid taxes or took a tax write-off as soon as they started receiving income. Sellers have a choice as to whether they sell on this platform or not. If they have not built a cost model to factor in the costs, which are fully disclosed by eBay, prior to listing items then that is on them. Nobody is limiting trade or micro managing anything they are simply setting the parameters around using the forum just as there are parameters around most businesses that operate in the commercial market. 

Nothing remains constant for any given period of time and the pace of change is increasing. Think about the regulations the auto industry currently operates under compared to what it once was. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Thinking about this, at what point do we stop saying nothing as they squeeze the population with crazy laws that restrict the right of freedom and prosperity for all. 

when it's negative .and unbalanced and we say nothing.  Well you don't have to look far to see what's coming.

So who is to blame for the government officials that are in office? 

Just think when they can trace DNA and figure a way to past a law holding future FAMILY MEMBERS responsible for TAXES that your great grandfather did not pay in the 1800's 

That would be an Ex post facto law and require a change to the US Constitution. 

our your kids for trading BASEBALL CARDS in SCHOOL. At what point do we draw the line and say nothing.  At what point are we making money and at what point are we making ends meet.  

The US GDP in 2021 was 23 trillion dollars I would assume somebody is making some profit out of part of that. Businesses and corporations that do not show a profit or growth usually fail at some point. The list of those is long and in some cases distinguished. 

They have the numbers on what it takes to live on in he USA.  BUT DUE TO SEVERE MISMANGEMENT and I can't give you those details here They are going after everything and anything they can think of >> TO MAKE ENDS MEET! I GUESS WE CAN SAY THEY ARE NOW NEW eBayers TOO.  WOW.. 

From the eBay perspective they are a corporation/business and they exist for one reason and that is to maximize their value to their shareholders and NOTHING else.

From a governmental perspective I won't argue with you on that one. The budget deficit for 2021 was $2.8 trillion the second largest in history, 2020 was the largest. We currently have a government made up of tax and spend representation. Nothing the government does is free it will ALL ultimately be paid for by the taxpayer.

The American public has a habit of wanting the government to do something about something like global warming for example, but stands back and screams when they discover they have to pay for it. 

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

So true everything changes. I bet the inside operations of eBay is a total madhouse today!

Probably and understatement. When eBay first split with PayPal and started the transition to managed payments but eBay's own admission it was to increase revenue. What they didn't see coming down the tracks were things like the 2018 Supreme Court in Wayfair vs South Dakota that required ecommerce companies to collect state sales tax on interstate sales and the lowering of the 1099 reporting threshold requirement. Both surely made an impact to eBay's bottom line as they had to expend resources on complying with those requirements with minimal or negative returns to the bottom line. 

Had they remained with PayPal as the financial processor this burden would have fallen on PayPal whom I suspect is enjoying the separation at the moment. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

It is sad when someone just gives up out of frustration over easily managed issues.  It is something much worse when that person tried to spread his negativity to discourage others’ success.

Unfortunately most of the people who come to this board for help don't want to hear actual good advice or the truth if that in any way indicates that they were doing anything incorrectly. They want to bash ebay, the rest of the world and the successful sellers willing to spend their valuable time to give them good advice for free.

Lower 1099 limits are actually a great thing for anyone actually serious about selling on any level, as those are causing huge numbers of casual sellers to quit. That is less competition for you when you are looking for merchandise and less competition for you when it comes to selling it.  I had assumed there would be a huge number quitting Jan 2022, but judging from the fact that sellers seem to still be discovering this daily I think the real exodus will be in February 2023 after they all get their forms.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

A good reply And I wish Wish I could share something. But LESS SAID is BEST SAID on some of those topics.

GOOGLE > BIS & IMF  2022 problem < then get back to me about eBay BOOK KEEPING and that 600 dollar thingy. BUT DON'T TELL! It's a secret. Somebody is making a profit for sure.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply