cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer sends item back even after return denied

Hello,

A buyer started a return, which I declined.  My ad said no returns.

The seller then claims that the brand new cell phone did not work. 

After much back and forth, and the buyer telling me that I tricked him and sold a defective product, I told the buyer to send it back.

The item arrived and I checked, the phone works as far as I can tell.  It was brand new.

How do I refund without the possibility of a double refund, if the buyer does a chargeback?

I am a brand new seller.  The buyer is a long time buyer.  Dunno if I am being scammed.

Frustrated seller

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: buyer sends item back even after return denied

I've never sold on Amazon and bought very few things there (and most of those experiences just added to my reasons for despising them), so here's how ignorant I am about them: Do they even allow sales of used items other than books, like what about antiques, clothes, etc.?  Do they require sellers to use stock photos/stock descriptions?  I ask because it seems like all the listings I've seen there looked like "professional" ads, or more specifically, as if everything there is sold BY Amazon, which was part of how my ignorance has gotten me in trouble there, thinking I was buying from just one company with a straightforward customer satisfaction policy. 
Anyway, all this as a preamble to say, now that you mention it, it is downright SHOCKING that Ebay has such lower returns, because think about all the insufficient descriptions and hilariously bad photos (seriously, I don't get how some people can even feel satisfied posting photos where you can't even really see the item because it looks like they put vaseline on the lens or where riding a horse while shooting, lol!). 
Then think of all the newer sellers listing items without understanding the policies, all the confusing and ever-changing ones that can cause problems, not just the return policies (which I sort-of agree with the person who asked why they even offer options such as 14-day that can be easily overridden, I mean I know the minutiae differences that make each option possibly useful, and they're trying to balance the satisfaction of two opposite kinds of customers, buyers and sellers, but with so many options it just confuses people).  
What I'm (poorly, ha) trying to say is, Ebay kind of feels like an old uncle who is a sweetheart at his core, but plagued by multiple personality disorder and Alzheimer's, so it's really a wonder he doesn't get arrested on a regular basis!!  

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

I received a return request. i declined it straight away. The buyer then reached out asking why I declined the return and saying I sold a defective phone. Which was a lie. 

Does anyone know in this situation, if I complete the refund via paypal, if ebay will see the refund?

I want to avoid doing the refund and the buyer going to ebay for another refund.

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

Since ebay does not show that the return arrived, wondering if I should notify ebay that the item has been returned.... so that after I make the refund via paypal, it is associated with the returned item?

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

OP: I am sorry people keep answering the question you DIDN'T ask, although it was information you needed to know about what "no returns" actually means, it's a shame subsequent repliers aren't reading to see if someone already addressed that. 
As for the question you have regarding this unique sale situation, as a fairly experienced seller I will honestly tell you I don't know the answer that will absolutely prevent the double refund you are concerned about.  I will say I generally believe that mistrust is over-inflated very often by both buyers and sellers, that although everybody has a horror story, or a few, scams don't actually happen nearly as often as people worry about.  Some people simply aren't aware of ways they COULD scam if they wanted to, some probably are aware but fear consequences, and some (hopefully most) have enough baseline ethics to not even consider it.  

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

Actually the more I think about it, your description of events doesn't make sense.  You listed as 'no returns' which you now know can be overridden if the buyer claims it doesn't work (this is what's called Item Not As Described, or INAD).  So that is the only kind of return they could officially start, since your 'no returns' policy would stop them from choosing a reason like "Changed my mind" or whatever.  But to my knowledge, and maybe someone will correct me, the seller cannot decline an INAD return, it is automatically accepted by Ebay.  So again, either I'm wrong about that, or you've left out information that could actually be important to answer your questoin about preventing a double-refund.  Namely, when you say he 'started a return' WAS it an official return request through the Ebay process, or did he just email a return request privately to you?  --This is extremely important to know when considering if a potential scam is afoot.  

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

A buyer can start a return for a seller with a no return policy and the seller can decline it.  Which is what it sounds like happened.  It doesn't sound like any other case was opened since the seller can't refund through eBay.   If you refund through the original PayPal transaction the buyer can't get a double refund.    If there is no case you can refund minus the original shipping.  The buyer can try to file a case with paypal for the remainder but the most that would happen is the buyer gets the rest of the refund. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 36 of 45
latest reply

Yes, this is what happened. 

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

So, you did receive a notice FROM EBAY that the seller wanted to return, not a private email?  
I think your situation is complicated enough that you do need to contact Ebay.  They are wonderful and you don't have to wait on hold, just request a call from them.  Go to help/contact > the website will try to divert you away from phone help by repeatedly asking what you need help with, to get you on an answer page, but rather than answer each of those questions, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see if there's a box that says Still need help?  Request a phone call. 

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Correct.  Then the buyer msg me via ebay with accusations of selling a defective phone.  I now know the phone works or the buyer didn't know how cell phones work.

I finally agreed to accept the return.

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

I think your situation is complicated enough that you do need to contact Ebay.  They are wonderful and you don't have to wait on hold, just request a call from them.  Go to help/contact > the website will try to divert you away from phone help by repeatedly asking what you need help with, to get you on an answer page, but rather than answer each of those questions, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see if there's a box that says Still need help?  Request a phone call. 

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

A buyer can start a return for a seller with a no return policy and the seller can decline it. 

....yeah....not really.

You should do some reading on the MBG tonight.

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

A buyer can start a return for a seller with a no return policy and the seller can decline it. 

....yeah....not really.

They absolutely can deny it if the buyer lists a remorse reason.  That doesn't mean the buyer won't then come up with some way to then file a MBG return after being denied, but a remorse return can be denied, so maybe you need to do some reading. 

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

The seller in this case was able to decline a return because the buyer opened it for a remorse reason.  No need for me to read up on anything.  Well aware of how it works.  Then according to the op the buyer messaged claiming it was not as described but didn't open any case (probably tried to but kept getting an error about a return already opened).  Usually to open a not as described case after having a remorse return declined you have to get eBay to do it for you.  Anyhow since there was no case the seller can refund minus original shipping out of the original PayPal transaction.  The only thing the buyer could do is open a paypal case and get the rest of the money it wouldn't count against the seller on eBay since there wasn't a eBay case 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 43 of 45
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

....yeah....not really.

myangelandmyprincess knows her stuff and has been here a very long time.

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

IF I FEEL A RETURN IS UNJUSTIFIED BUT KNOW EBAY WILL MAKE ME TAKE IT.  I IMMEDIATELY BLOCK THAT BIDDER FROM EVER BIDDING ON MY ITEMS IN THE FUTURE. I'VE BEEN AT THIS SINCE 1997 AND IT ELIMINATES THE NIT-PICKERS, SCAM ARTISTS AND RIFF-RAFF, NOT TO MENTION REMORSEFUL BUYERS. THEY CAN ONLY DO IT ONCE!

Message 45 of 45
latest reply