cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer sends item back even after return denied

Hello,

A buyer started a return, which I declined.  My ad said no returns.

The seller then claims that the brand new cell phone did not work. 

After much back and forth, and the buyer telling me that I tricked him and sold a defective product, I told the buyer to send it back.

The item arrived and I checked, the phone works as far as I can tell.  It was brand new.

How do I refund without the possibility of a double refund, if the buyer does a chargeback?

I am a brand new seller.  The buyer is a long time buyer.  Dunno if I am being scammed.

Frustrated seller

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: buyer sends item back even after return denied

Exactly - and it is only going to get worse as the economy suffers from all the job losses. 

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

It depends on what you are selling. You are lucky with 1.5% returns. The retail average on returns varies by the product type but generally are at least 10% and upwards of 70%. There was a story last year showing the return rates at Amazon and other large retailers. If any average eBay seller had to endure those rates of return, you'd be out of business in 30 days

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

Exactly

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

Wow. Just did a few searches, and see that return rates are huge.  I can’t imagine dealing with Amazon-like rates.  We really do have amazing buyers on eBay.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

@casperovski wrote:

... Dunno if I am being scammed....

You are not.   Scammers do not return an item at all, or they return it damaged, or they return something different.  

Since phones are among the "high scam" transactions, you are lucky that you had an honest buyer.

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

If then, the form should not permit 14 day returns. Again. I have sold at other places before and my products are free of defects etc.. So far the one thing I have sold has not come back to me, nor has eBay refunded. I know very well what my responsibilities are, since I have sold elsewhere for over 40 years. This is my first foray into eBay since everything changed. However, I do have the legal right to challenge any actions eBay does as long as I have my account, and the contract is void in a court of law. Otherwise, I will remove my products and close my account if they don't want to play.

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

Yep. I don't know why return rates aren't higher here. Really doesn't make any sense because industry averages, even at brick and mortar stores are many, many times higher than here. If sellers on eBay had to build in the industry average return rates, there would be almost no sellers on this platform. 

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

Since I originally declined the return, I don't have the option to refund in ebay.  If I refund via paypal, will it show in ebay that I refunded the buyer?

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

@casperovski wrote:

Hello,

A buyer started a return, which I declined.  My ad said no returns.

The seller then claims that the brand new cell phone did not work. 

After much back and forth, and the buyer telling me that I tricked him and sold a defective product, I told the buyer to send it back.

The item arrived and I checked, the phone works as far as I can tell.  It was brand new.

How do I refund without the possibility of a double refund, if the buyer does a chargeback?

I am a brand new seller.  The buyer is a long time buyer.  Dunno if I am being scammed.

Frustrated seller

This make no sense. If you were able to deny the refund why did you take it back?

I don't think you are explaining the chain of events correctly.

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

@themo_4718 wrote:

If not, then the buyer is not entitled to a refund even if it was sent back.

I have a standard 14 day refund policy, as long as the buyer notifies me before sending it back. After that, it's their problem.

Big, big, surprises are in store for you if you get a return.

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

Apologies, as soon as I received the return request, I declined it, as I thought I had the option based on my ad.  As I have learned, I cannt refuse a return.  The seller wrote accussing me of selling a defective phone.  After back and forth communication and me trying to troubleshoot the issues, I agreed to the buyers return. 

That is why I initially declined the return.  Now that I have the phone back and tested that it does work, everything I have read says I need to do the refund.

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

OMG....what surprises?!!??!?!? 

NVM...i see you were replying to themo's post

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

Did the buyer just send a messy saying it was defective after you declined the return?   Or was there some kind of case opened ?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 28 of 45
latest reply

With a no returns policy you are permitted to decline a return request depending on the reason they give.  If their reason is changed mind or remorse---then you can say no.   If they file a not as described return, then your no returns policy doesn't apply.  You can't deny those. 

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

@casperovski wrote:

OMG....what surprises?!!??!?!? 

NVM...

Well, it sure isn't going to be cupcakes on their birthday.

Message 30 of 45
latest reply