cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

as a seller what do you do when the item is delivered but the buyer says it was not

Tracking shows the item was delivered. Buyer says it wasn't.

It's been 24 hours.

I provided advice on what they need to do.

If you've shipped on time & to the correct address & the item's delivered but the buyer says

they never received it what's ebay's policy?

You can imagine with the 22 bazagabillion packages shipping annually someone's going to

to scam to get their money back.

I do not feel this is the case.

But if a buyer says they did not receive a delivered item what is a seller's recourse?

Yeah I could refund but I'm not at fault & we know it takes NOTHING to get smacked 

by ebay .

If they escalate it does ebay just settle out of pocket or out of my pocket?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

as a seller what do you do when the item is delivered but the buyer says it was not

You can enter the tracking number in the case and if it shows delivered eBay should rule in your favor.  
Did you happen to use eBay standard envelope to ship or another service?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@buytodayshipnextday  for the details you gave, a seller would not be responsible to refund the buyer.

if the buyer opens an item not rec'd case, just upload the tracking number. once eBay sees the 'delivered' scan, the case will close in your favor.

the buyer needs to deal with the shipping company to make sure they actually delivered the pkg to them.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

What should you do? right now nothing 

If the buy wants they can file with eBay but you can prove delivery so that is that.

Not saying the buyer after that will not file with their financial institution but another topic.

I know you want to make it right but how many items a year can you afford to give away?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Contact your local mail carrier. They scanned it when they delivered it, they'll know where it is.
If you can't contact them, go to you local post office with the tracking number. They'll get to the bottom of it.
IF all else fails, contact your local police dept and report a theft.  Somebody might be stealing your packages.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

eBay's policy is if tracking shows the item being delivered, then it is considered delivered. IMO, eBay recognizes things like this are out of the seller's control.

I would suggest getting tracking info from the carrier's website and let the buyer know they need to contact the carrier and find out where the package is. You can only do digital legwork from your end, the buyer needs to do the physical legwork. 
The burden of proof is on the buyer, I wouldn't refund any amount until the buyer opens a case and if feel inclined to do so.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

good luck if it's USPS. I have been the buyer who received my package, from USPS, 3 days after it was marked as delivered. I have also had a neighbor find my package, in his yard, after it fell out/ flew out of the post office vehicle. Package was marked delivered.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

eBay is a safer marketplace for sellers compared to Walmart or Sears. If tracking shows delivered to the right address, then eBay does not penalize the seller. eBay also guarantees the buyer that his money is safe. In such cases, eBay eats the loss. On Walmart, the seller is required to provide signed proof of delivery. On most items, that is a considerable additional cost of $8 to $10 so most sellers avoid that. Crooks also know that so they keep ordering and then claiming 'Lost After Delivery'. Small merchants cannot afford such losses. That's why we stopped selling items over $100 on Walmart because Walmart is a scammers paradise. 

In most cases, eBay is the safest marketplace for Sellers.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

"For USPS packages, a final option is to call your recipient's local Post Office and ask for the GPS location scan information. When you present the tracking number, USPS will be able to tell you the GPS location where they scanned and delivered the package down to a 6-foot radius... "

Why does the tracking status show “Delivered” when it hasn’t been? | Pirate Ship Support

Message 9 of 9
latest reply