cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your video wasn't posted. Here's why: Your video was not approved.

video removed.jpg

This was all the info that was provided to me on why a video was not approved.   How about eBay tells us why.  I am sure that there was a specific reason the video was flagged, and I would like to know so that I can change that and comply with the reason.

Instead I am directed to a list of reasons.

I remember this joke about someone who looked up the word "dummy" in the dictionary.  The definition for "dummy" listed "idiot".  He then looked up the word "idiot".  The definition stated: "You again?"

This is what this feels like, and this is rather par for the course in the "tech giant" environment (see Facebook).

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Your video wasn't posted. Here's why: Your video was not approved.

Just redo it. And submit the new one, who knows what fluke reason the likely overseas contractor or automated system decided to dislike. Chances are your new one will be just fine. I have hundreds of listings with videos and I never had a single one rejected. I would only worry about it if it became a pattern.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

A more detailed explanation for rejection has been requested numerous times by ebay sellers. So far, I believe the response has been along the lines of "we're looking into that" 

I agree with onefootflipper---if your video otherwise qualifies (not too long, correct format, no copyright violation, etc) I would resubmit it (perhaps first giving it a new file name)

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thanks onefootflipper.  I think I figured out that my content of showing off a VCR included copyrighted material.  I don't know why their system couldn't just let me know the reason the big computer took it down.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks my-cottage ... I figured out that I was showing off the functionality of a VCR and there was a tidbit of copyrighted material in there.  As I mentioned to someone else, it would be nice if the eBay computer could have mentioned that and then we would know where to go from there.  I am guessing this was the reason.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

• Exceeding maximum size – We recommend videos shorter than 1 minute for the best viewing experience. Videos over 150MB are not allowed
  • Poor quality – A video that is blurry, undefined or distorted is considered poor quality and not allowed
  • Illegal content – See the Illegal explicit content policy for more information
  • Offensive content – Promotion or glorified hatred, violence or discrimination aren't allowed. See the Offensive materials policy for more information
  • Nudity and sexual content – Videos may not include nudity or displays of sexually oriented content. See the Adult items policy for more information
  • Infringing content – Video, images or audio content that is used without permission from the respective rights owner is not allowed
  • Directing buyers off eBay – Videos, images or audio content including any contact information, web links, URLs or calls to action that ask viewers to take actions on other sites (for example, "Go to xyz.com to learn more") are not allowed. See Offering to buy or sell outside eBay for more information

It appears there are 7 main reasons.  You should be able to narrow it down from there.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@discofriend wrote:

Thanks my-cottage ... I figured out that I was showing off the functionality of a VCR and there was a tidbit of copyrighted material in there.  As I mentioned to someone else, it would be nice if the eBay computer could have mentioned that and then we would know where to go from there.  I am guessing this was the reason.

If they were really strict about that then the millions of videos in the record category of people playing the record would all be taken down.  Easy fix for VCR tests though is just find some home movie tape or something else incredibly obscure (training video, graduation, etc) that won't trip any automated content filters.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am surprised to hear you can post videos of records (LPs) playing and the copyrighted music.  You sure about this?  I wanted to do this to show the condition of vinyl records.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I spent 30mn with a eBay rep on the chat, asking him to give me a good reason as of why my video was not approved. I was showing an item in working condition. No copyrighted material shown, and followed all their guidelines about video quality and duration.

The rep was able to see the video uploaded on his end, confirmed it had nothing wrong on it, but still wasn't able to give me a reason as of why it was not approved, and just suggested to edit it again and re-upload. 

But it got flagged again. So, I got frustrated, and linked that video from my YouTube channel, through the listing description itself, and then of course that worked just fine.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ebay do deletes almost any video I post that has audio or sound in the video. I think they must have bots deleting the videos. Thinking the the videos violate copyrights. Once it was just background noise from a TV. Once I figured out how to remove the sound the video stayed up. But in this case I'm trying to sell a set of speakers and I want people to hear the speakers play in the video. The audio used for this particular listing was a clip from an audio book. An eBay remove the video. I have also used sound test from YouTube audio

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It has become common practice for online marketplaces to not provide detailed information on how sellers have violated policy as a means of making it more difficult to circumvent policy. Amazon has been a pioneer in this area and Ebay is catching up.

As IP lawyers continue to get richer, you can expect more similar unexplained actions.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply