cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, have things changed!

Hi. I started selling on eBay in 2005. For some reason, I got the bug again and started a store in February of this year. Yeah, 18 years is a long time and technology runs at a rapid pace, blah blah. But let me tell you, I have NEVER experienced what I have in the past two months.

I've had an item that was shipped to Canada (correct address on label) sent to an entirely different province.

I've had more than one buyer NOT pay for items. I remember when (back in MY day) as soon as you won the auction, you paid automatically. I've had to cancel and relist quite a few items. I've also had a buyer send me an email telling me what he got was "covered in hair" and that he won't leave a bad review because he "only" paid $14 for the item. That one really ticked me off. I wash everything on the sanitize setting of my washer and dry it the same way. I use a lint roller before I package any clothing. Nobody else has said this. Like, **bleep**? I asked him to send me a photo and I'd be happy to partially refund him if it's that bad (or bad at all) and he said "no thanks". So, buyers can now threaten bad feedback?! 

How long has it been like this??!!!

/endrant/

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Times certainly have changed.  It's often very frustrating to deal with difficult buyers but for what it's worth, you are not alone.

Take heart in knowing there are still many fine, decent people on eBay.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

That's nice, thank you. And wow, 49K?! You've probably seen it all!

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

How long has it been like this??!!!

-------------------------------------------------

hmmm, for ever?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Maybe it was baby brain, but I really don't remember it being this difficult. 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@coloradospaul   My first full year of selling started in 2009. And yes, it was TOTALLY different back then.

Things went downhill starting about 7 years ago, slowly at first, and then quickly since about 4 years ago.

Many reasons, more online selling platforms, 'how to be the best scammer ever' tutorials LOL, blah blah blah

But, I am still here and rolling with the changes, trying to keep up.

Welcome back and may the force be with you!

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

IMO opinion it went off the rails when they took away the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers and all the visibility whatsoever about buyers.... I truly believe that sellers should be able to see how many unpaid item strikes a buyer has and also their return rate. This would stop 75% of the scammers IMO....

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

if a buyer threatens with feedback and actually leaves it just message eBay on Facebook or go to help and have them call you they will remove it if buyer mentions feedback at all. 

I also do a lot of auctions and once and while get non payers, it is what it is. Typically if they have a lot of feedback they will pay, I typically dont say anything till 5 days. 

eBay has always been like this i recall long ago when i sold with my wife early 2000s it was mainly auctions and back then got a lot more non payers. so I think eBay's gotten better on that part. you can also set it so that if they buy it now or offers that they have to pay instantly. you can toggle on and off on the block buyers page, and block anyone that's giving you crap. 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

For me anyway i seem to go months without any bothers and then they come in packs. Typically during pre christmas people have second thoughts and want to return stuff and this time of year i feel to. its always busy for me tax season selling tools. dont let the Karen's and Tom's get to you, block them out mentally and I've grown to not let it bother me. I do often post odd situations and write out the outcome, so if that happens to someone there is a place to see what i went through.  

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

there is not reason for a seller to leave negatives, some may deserve but its causes more issues than it helps like retaliation feedback from bad sellers to good buyers that complain about actual bad sellers. its been gone since 08! 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@coloradospaul  there are a couple things you can do to help yourself. Set up to have eBay automatically cancel and relist your items for non-payment.

Any "buyers" who dont pay add them to you blocked buyer list.

If I get a message from a buyer like you received, my response is "oh my! Im so sorry! Please file a return request and once I receive the item back I will refund you"

It helps to not take it personal.

If the buyer threatens negative FB - report the buyer... OH and add to the favorites list!

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I seem to recall people NOT paying for auctions 'automatically' a lot longer ago than 15 years.  😞 Also shouty annoying buyers and sellers leaving retaliatory bad FB back in the day when sellers could leave negs.

Only thing was cheaper shipping prices and better sales back then - that was nice, and auctions were fun, now they're just eh.  But eBay isn't the only show in town now.  It's like we had a nice big pool to swim around in, then everybody jumped in, then somebody pee'd in it, and here we are.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Thanks, everyone, for replying and "listening" to my rant. I appreciate your input and suggestions and will keep chugging along (with a few tweaks!)

Amy

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

"there is not a reason for a seller to leave negatives . . ." 

Perhaps you meant to say buyers, since sellers are not ever allowed to leave negative FB.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

As time goes on, more and more customers believe they are entitled.  
15 years ago, you had some customers that had learned this.
Now, you have many customers that never knew any different.

Who's to blame?  Wally World, Amazon, all Big Retail.   In the quest to gain the upper hand, Big Retail has offered the customer more and more and more, just to get an advantage over the competition.  
You don't like it, return it within 30 days, no problem.
30 days?  Lets make it 90.
How about a year?
Heck, we can ship it to you if you want.
We won't charge you for shipping. We can do that for free.
Free one day shipping.
We'll shop for you and bring it to the curb.
We'll bring it to your house.
(((Put it in the fridge for you is coming soon))).

Message 15 of 26
latest reply