cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you sell a usd 5000 object?

Read about problems around claims and not getting payed ...

That makes me (honest seller) a little hesitant.

Would you dare to sell a usd/eur 5000 object?

And if so. Under what conditions would you do that?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Would you sell a usd 5000 object?

@krazzykats 

That's a good one! Thanks!!!

Pick up cash. That give oppertunities!

Then they can communicate direct payment and shipping afterwards. 😉

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@woutinc wrote:

I have no use for it, and i am no museum.

Yeah. Museums are eager for it. Museums DO want it. Kept asking for it 🙂

... as donation :~}

And museums never give worth prices.

@woutinc 

Ah. I have an item or two like that and have avoided museums for the 'donation' reason. For now, my OOAKs are displayed.

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

Offering local pickup | eBay

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

I wouldn't sell anything over $30 to $40 here, no way I would sell a $5000 item here.

Have a great day
Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Better suited for a real auction house maybe.

5000 whatever on eBay? Just as well cut out the middle man and go straight to shooting yourself in the foot.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

I would have no problem selling a watch for 5000 and shipping it to the authenticator. I have two pieces listed for more that that now.

I dont see what the big deal is.  my friends who also sell watches  will ship it out of the country but I am not going to do that.

it all depends on your aversion to risk.I woud never insure a watch under 500 since there is little risk in shipping a $500  watch

@woutinc 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 21 of 43
latest reply

You are a new seller.

so.

No.

However, depending on the category, I would consider selling items that expensive, because I sell in a "handshake" category where there few problems with scamming, and a long-standing (centuries!) system of authentication.

I am also very aware of shipping* standards.

I would never consider anything that appeals to the "criminal demographic" (males between 15-35, usually unmarried).

And there are some categories so rife with fraud (designer purses, horse tack, gemstones, antique dolls) that it is not worthwhile even trying.

I would also consider using Local Pickup and demanding cash payment, but that makes using the international coverage of eBay rather pointless.

*We once had a $15,000 item misdirected from Moscow, Idaho to Moscow, Russia, and returned safely, after a nerve wracking delay when tracking was invisible, because of the service and the packaging used. (Not an eBay sale.)

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

A long time ago I would consider selling a used item in that price range, and I did occasionally sell items over a 1000 dollars here back then, but no way would I do that today. Nowadays, any time I get something to sell that's worth anything over $500 it goes straight to my favorite brick and mortar auction house that offers in-house bidding and also online bidding. Not only do I always feel I get as much in my pocket there as I would here, but there is no stress or time involved with photos, descriptions, INADs, returns, or anything. Drop it off at the auction house and they do the rest, and there are no returns to worry about.

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

@1tuna 

I'm not that scared. But with such amounts i am cautious.

@reallynicestamps 

I'm not new. As long on eBay as you are. And sales as profession.

And scam isn't new either 😉

eBay became new with all changes.

@bennotbill 

Can't find an auction house. Sothebies and Christie's said to me their no interested for the low amount.

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

No, because anyone can "reverse payment" AFTER they receive your item.   EBAY will NOT protect you if  you get scammed.

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@adkhighker 

I am not experienced with real auction houses.

Need to find one which wants. Big ones didn't want. Small ones have a local market. I need ww market.

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

Seems odd that you suggest that I be the one to select the currency in question.

However, if you mean something that has a value of five thousand US dollars ($5000.00) then, no, eBay is not where I would sell it.  

And why are you wanting to sell an item worth 5K? 

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@woutinc 

I would not be comfortable listing an item for $5000.

I have a few valuable items (around that amount) that I had always hoped to sell someday on Ebay.  But that was some years ago when I felt that way.   The scammers are so bad now.  Yes there were always scammers, but there are more now and more sophisticated ones.  I wouldn't want to lose those items to a scammer.  

I sold some vintage Louis Vuitton handbags a few years ago, for around $250 each & that worried me, until it all cleared.  But I'm definitely not cut out to sell a $5000 item on Ebay.   I know it can be problematic to figure out what to do with some of these valuable things.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

@woutinc wrote:

I have no use for it, and i am no museum.

Yeah. Museums are eager for it. Museums DO want it. Kept asking for it 🙂

... as donation :~}

And museums never give worth prices.

I would check with those museums and ask if they might have some wealthy benefactors that might be willing to buy it and donate it to them.

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Seems odd that you suggest that I be the one to select the currency in question.

Ain't that odd. The reader can choose the currency he knows.

5K in euros or usds is almost the same amount, both high significant for my question.

Thought this would make it confertable for those answering.

🙂

@soh.maryl wrote:
And why are you wanting to sell an item worth 5K? 

For the 5K !? 🙂

Message 30 of 43
latest reply