cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you sell a usd 5000 object?

Read about problems around claims and not getting payed ...

That makes me (honest seller) a little hesitant.

Would you dare to sell a usd/eur 5000 object?

And if so. Under what conditions would you do that?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Compose more of an ad on eBay.  Cash only on pickup or some kind of funds that can't be withdrawn back.  Use eBay's OCR system for pickup.  I advertise things for pickup that are too large to ship, but if it's rare and highly desirable then I want cash. 

I wouldn't sell anything you can't afford to lose without some kind of insurances and reassurances.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

What is usd/eur 5000? Is that five thousand dollars? And I see you are in the Netherlands, so is that 5000 of whatever the currency is used in your country? It might help for you to return and offer better details.

But, speaking personally, no, I would not sell a five thousand dollar item on eBay.  

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

I will second that emotion !!

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@woutinc 

Hello from the US.  To answer your question... here's my reply:

NO...not now, not ever.  It's scam city out there and the scammers are everywhere in all walks of life looking to rob you.  Never sell anything you can't afford to lose. JMO.  Don't do it.

Happy Selling!

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Whether I would feel safe selling a $5k or Euro5k item would depend on what that item is, and who is likely to buy it.

There are many items I would not sell on Ebay at far lower prices because they are easily sold to fences, and attract low ethics buyers.

There are others that I will sell because they are not easily resold, easily identified by law enforcement if they are sold on other online marketplaces, and usually sold to people who want to own and keep them.

There are buyers in all countries who you do not want to sell to, and if you do not know the buyers for the item, and are a novice at selling online, and a low volume seller you want to sell eyeball to eyeball for cash.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Thank you for your quick reaction.

Why i said usd/eur 5000.

You may choose if you want to read usd or eur(o) before the 5000.

The difference between both currencies is that small that it keeps the question relevant.

But where to sell such item then? That payment sh. you read about all sites.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Not a chance.  The odds of you being scammed are incredibly high with a high dollar item.  I've been selling since 2008, have a couple thousand feedback, so I am experienced here and there isn't a snowball's chance that I would sell a $5K item here now.  

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

But where to sell such item then?

@woutinc 

You haven't told us what the item is.  For example... a wristwatch might be best consigned with a jeweler, while a china buffet might be best advertised locally for Pick Up only. 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@woutinc wrote:

Thank you for your quick reaction.

Why i said usd/eur 5000.

You may choose if you want to read usd or eur(o) before the 5000.

The difference between both currencies is that small that it keeps the question relevant.

What the item is is also relevant. Some items attract mostly scammers (such as smartphones, laptops and gaming systems) while others may be (relatively) safe (e.g. artworks or niche items). It would help if you can tell us what it is you hope to sell. For example, large or heavy items should be Local Pickup Only, and preferably for cash.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

Sell for cash only.  Or something that cannot be reversed, stopped, or refunded back.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

I'm no starter in online selling.

A re-starter i am on ebay. A lot changed since 10-15 years ago.

I'm taking about a rare original object. Hardly ever for sale and only to find in museums or in information about this object and Unesco description.

But where to sell such item then? That payment sh. you read about all sites.

Informed at real auctions, but for them objects below 10K aren't interesting they said.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Not here. Nope.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

I'm taking about a rare original object. Hardly ever for sale and only to find in museums or in information about this object and Unesco description.

@woutinc 

Since your undisclosed item is THIS rare and is original... why do you want to sell it? And have you tried to a museum, then?

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Compose more of an ad on eBay.  Cash only on pickup or some kind of funds that can't be withdrawn back.  Use eBay's OCR system for pickup.  I advertise things for pickup that are too large to ship, but if it's rare and highly desirable then I want cash. 

I wouldn't sell anything you can't afford to lose without some kind of insurances and reassurances.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

I have no use for it, and i am no museum.

Yeah. Museums are eager for it. Museums DO want it. Kept asking for it 🙂

... as donation :~}

And museums never give worth prices.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply