cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you block this buyer? (There are no wrong answers)

On Dec 15 I sold a clothing item that was $150 when new but was pre-owned.  Before listing it, I'd carefully cleaned it, measured it, photograhed it etc etc and  wrapped it in tissue, bagged it, and put a little post-it note on the bag saying (brandname) top.

I accepted a $20 offer on it. mailed it and it was delivered on Dec 18.  No messages from the buyer, no feedback. I thought all was well.

Yesterday, doing a January 1 reoganization of my inventory what did I find but the  item!

I wrote the buyer and told her that I'd found the item, promised to ship it out right away, apologized, and asked her what she'd received instead.

Today she wrote back to say that she received a different item by the same designer and liked it a lot and would keep it and that I need not to bother to send the one she originally bought, thanks very much.

The item I sent her was new with tags and retailed for $188. I'd forgotten I had it and it was packaged the exact same way, post-it note included.

Although obviously I made an error - I believe the buyer should have alerted me that she did not receive the item she bought.  Instead, she apparently figured she got a windfall and never said anything.

Alhough sending the wrong item was my mistake, my view is that she took advantage of that mistake and said nothing, and then answered my query by announcing that she was keeping the more valuable item and  not to bother sending the correct one. 

The tone of her message suggested ( I admit that this is one of those sender/receiver kind of situations) that she was doing me a big favor by letting me keep the item that I originally sold her. 

I thanked her for her message, told her that I hoped she would enjoy her new garment, and confirmed that I would not be sending the garment she actually bought. (I don't quarrel with customers but....)

Then I BBLd her.

What would you have done?

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Would you block this buyer? (There are no wrong answers)

I don't feel it was right for the buyer to keep the item,

& say nothing until you contacted them.

If I had been the buyer I would have messaged you right away,

but that's me, I like a clear conscience !

You were taken advantage of for sure.

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

I hate when people use posting IDs for questions like this.

Are we talking about similar item, brand/lable, style, size, color, etc?  I buy for the item, not the brand or value.  If I buy a blue widget and get a red widget, I won't care if the red widget originally cost more or is nicer.  I'd be in touch with the seller to find out what happened.  I'm not sure why anybody would not.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 17 of 57
latest reply

From what I have been reading, buyers can keep whatever the seller ships them, even if it isn't the right item and the seller asks for it back. It's a morality issue... I'd send something back if I was shipped a more expensive item.  Three times at the local Lowes hardware store,I have ordered something for store pickup and they have grabbed the wrong (more expensive) model from the shelf. I pointed out the error and waited till they got the right item.

Just be glad it wasn't a expensive mistake.... like the $3200 mistake BH Photo Video did for a while in early december. https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/bhphoto-shipping-two-a7riii-instead-one-customers/

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

Morals probably went out the window and lots of A7R iii Cameras ended up on eBay in December!

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

I would be a bit perturbed not to have been contacted by the buyer.  I would readily accept that I messed up and make sure the buyer was okay with the way it turned out, but they should have let you know.

As a seller I know I would contact you so that you could take down the listing for the item you sent me in error and avoid the out of stock problem.  I assume most wouldn't be aware of this problem for the seller, though.

Message 20 of 57
latest reply

Personally, I would say that the buyer isn't all that honorable a person.  Perhaps not dishonest, but definitely not honorable and there isn't too much different - if anything - that you could or can do about the transaction.

Blocking the buyer is a personal choice and if it works for you, fine.  We all have our own opinions about honor, honesty and morality.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 21 of 57
latest reply

I wouldn't block the buyer.  You made the mistake, why does the buyer have to suffer just because they didn't give you the grief of disputes and extra postage.  And with the ability to have variant and multiple merchandise in single listings, the buyer might think that they made the mistake, but didn't want to complain.

I would also not waste money wrapping garments in tissue.  I bag my better garments in ziplocks with the label showing so i can see what I am pulling out to ship.  Everything else is boxed together so I can pull as needed. 

(*Bleep*)
Message 22 of 57
latest reply

Nah, I wouldn't have blocked her, but here's why & my story...

Had a similar situation, had 2 lots of white & green long sleeve tee shirts, different brands.  Buyer #2 purchased, and I realized I didn't have the 'right' lot.  Very kind buyer #2 was willing to accept the other brand lot instead, and was satisfied with her purchase.  I never did look up buyer #1, who I sent the 'wrong' items to, as I didn't want to open a can of worms.  I figured if they were okay with it, so was I.  

For me, both items were of similar value so that didn't matter, but I was thankful that I ended up with 2 excellent buyers, no complaints, and no defect.  So no reason for me to block anyone.

With your situation, at least you became aware of the situation, before someone purchased the one you sent out and ended up with an OOS defect.  After you messaged her, she was honest with you, and not intending on making you go through the extra shipping expenses involved. 

The only other factor would be the price difference ultimately.  If you lost out on a sale due to the price difference with one being NWT & the other not.  And even if that is the case, the unfortunate thing is that the mistake is still yours, not the buyers.  Sorry Smiley Sad

Message 23 of 57
latest reply

Since we can never know every little thing - like what went through someone else's mind; let's give her the benefit of the doubt.

There is the possibility she laid low thinking "YAY me!"
But it also could be she thought "seller ran out of the ____  top and sent this one hoping I like it, probably real worried I hate it... oh, well".

Or one of a dozen things, who really knows.

The only thing we know FOR SURE is you made the first error in sending wrong item. I'd just let it go and not block her. (she may have warm feelings for you and come back).

You gave a lovely answer.
I shipped a new with tags dress once, sold for around $100.00 and the thrift store tag was still inside for  $9.00 or some stupid price... it came right back in the mail.
I still get mad thinking of it - but at myself.

awesome-altered-apparel, check out my listings!
Message 24 of 57
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

What would you have done?

I would have lauged at my mistake --- thanked the "eBay Gods I did not get a strike --- and made sure I never was too lazy to CLEARLY mark my merchandise again ...

Message 25 of 57
latest reply

Nah, users have to do more than that to earn a spot on my BBL.

Message 26 of 57
latest reply

I would block.  She had a chance to let you know she received the wrong item, but didn't do it.  When contacted,  I think I would have asked her point blank to send it back for the replacement.  Then there would be no confusion over who was doing who a favor.  

Message 27 of 57
latest reply

If the customer comitted some injustice to you, I have not yet identified it.

Message 28 of 57
latest reply

I would block.  I would not be comfortable dealing with that buyer again and worried the buyer would be dissapointed that future transactions didn't result in a similar enhancement of their item.  

Message 29 of 57
latest reply

That buyer is what is known as a "Capitalist".

Some view them as evil despots.  It all depends on your views regarding man's obligation to fellow man and to the state.

Your options (as the buyer) would have been:

Send a message to the seller letting the comrade know of the mistake.

Do nothing and enjoy your purchase (IF you enjoyed it).

Leave the seller nasty feedback IF you did not like the purchase.

Do nothing and sell the item for a substantial marrking up (Marx-Engels),

then report how badly violated you were by the seller.

Return the item and politely ask for refund.

Message 30 of 57
latest reply