cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Have my Sales dropped 14% all of the sudden since start of the year?

I have talked to several Reps and they claim they have been getting this type of call from alot of sellers. I have been with EBAY 8 years. I have been a consistent seller. All of the sudden sales have dropped off 14%. I have been told they have seen this and their maybe several glitches that should be worked out in the next couple of months. I have just started to update my ad rate fee from 6% to 8% to get my great items more visibility. Am I missing something? I have been very steady for years. Now this? any help is appreciated. I am all ears.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Why Have my Sales dropped 14% all of the sudden since start of the year?

@bryo_3145 wrote:

Don't forget to vote!

Stay the course or drive off the cliff. Choose wisely. 😉

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 31 of 43
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@chariot_badges   PLEASE unless you are a trained economist with your fingers on the pulse of the world at a moments notice,  knock this doom and gloom off. This topic is not permitted on these forums. It is a better place when personal opinions stay off this page.

I have two Bachelors degrees from a California State University.  Business Admin and Managerial Economics.

I am a Licensed Appraiser for Tax Purposes by the State of California.

I have testified before Assessment Appeals Boards and Superior Court and am recognized as an expert in personal property valuation.

I have worked for County Assessors and the California State Board of Equalization, and most recently as a consultant to some pretty large corporations.  Very large in fact, names you'd recognize. 

I think I have a pretty good grounding in Macro and Micro Economics.  Both formal education, and personal education. 

ALL appraisal is an opinion.  Line up three economists and they'll point in six directions, and be able to support each of their position(s).  

In addition to all that, I am old.  I been an adult on this planet for well over a half century.  I have seen things.  I have seen all this before.  

I studied European history in Europe in the mid 60's - back when there were still lot of people around that lived in Europe during WW2.

Wanna hear something scary?   Doom and gloom?  

We are in the SAME spot right now, as Germany was in 1930.  Know what happened in Germany during those years, and for twenty years after?   Same spot.

I KNOW this forum is for Ebay and Ebay business.  But how can ANY business person ignore the environment they are doing business in?  Should they?  Do you think that Ebay upper management don't have conversations about economics?  and politics?  

It's ok for THEM to consider it, but they don't want US talking about it?

It's is political.  And, it is entirely appropriate in this forum.

The mods may take this post out (probably will) because it is uncomfortable to the fragile amongst us.

It is an important factor that we will ignore at our own peril.  

I hope I am wrong, I really do ... 

I truly hope that someone comes back here in a year and rubs my nose in how wrong I was.  

I'll gladly eat crow.  

Economics have definitely underwent major changes since likely you're degrees, thats not a knock, just a reality.  Global economics were spaghetti before the Internet and digital tech now it's like the entire pasta factory.

eBay will wax and wane and 14% is well within the range of that or small biz retail for that matter.

As to the politics absolutely, you bet they play a big part in consumer spending and pretty much always have since The Roman Empire at the very least.  Yes we are in dangerous waters, perhaps the most dangerous in human history in fact.  One might say we are closer to global conflict than any point since WW II and closer to civil conflict since our Civil War.  The stacks up real nasty like and I agree completely towards the echoes of time to the 1930's domestically in as far as the civil aspect.  Pre-War Germany had other issues as well, economics, bindings by the Treaty of Versailles etc.

But not going to get most American's to forward think which appears to be traditional pre-war at least here.  The history is judge, jury and executioner and then after the fact finding the true causations, blame and perpetrators usually soon to be forgotten as the citizens begin to the rinse session in order to eventually repeat.

So many odd things in America almost bi-polar to its history also taking place.  Most of the westernized world is begging for immigration as America's model has always been, mass immigration results in mass innovation, yes strife, but a booming nation and boom times.  Now here we sit where those W. European, Canada etc. have tended to be about not wanting immigration.  Thats crazy!

We've 10 million open jobs, a military in mass need of new recruits that are not lifestyle soft, births rates are down and I just read other day if those 10 Million jobs were filled cut 2.5 Trillion off national debt in four years due to economic boom and generate as much as 2 trillion in new wealth over 15-20 years.  Nope.  Can't do that.

Your right, the "scape goats" are being setup yet oddly the change in immigration under LBJ which wanted W. Europeans immigrate here resulted in Latino's immigrating here as the W. Europeans were to jazzed by the racial issues in the day.  Those Latino's very much so filled our military and then some.  But getting rid of the "Scape Goats" will not solve the fundamental problem here.  That is to say, all those illegal immigrants be gone do not solve the national problem(s) so new scapegoats be needed and that is going to be "Social Services" oriented.

Failing democracies tend go way of Fascisms and with that to thrive need a common internal enemy yet what the supporters of such things NEVER seem realize is they become the victims.  This is due to the fact supporters have expectations and those pose the greatest to depose power that they helped install.  Thus they are first to be minimized as the "Internal Enemy" concepts fail.  Hitler youth turning in their parents, relatives, friends who speak even privately about potential wrongs.   In order to have all sheep the wolves that put the big wolves in power need to go.

I help moderate a very large political forum, I was recently asked step back into that fray.  I would say at this point in time, both sides the fence, six in ten American's are so wrapped up in their little life's bubble that they are completely daft.  I mean like 100% daft to the real world or even real nation around them.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

"I know what to do with my money better than the government."

Cool.  We look forward to you paying to fix the potholes out front of our place.

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Cool.  We look forward to you paying to fix the potholes out front of our place.

Or put out that house fire.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 34 of 43
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@hartungcards wrote:

Or put out that house fire.

Personally I'm betting on the health care industry deeming "Instrumental" a mental health disorder.  Meanwhile my underwear is under lock and key still at Walmart.  Whole worlds goin' to pot.

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

Just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to maximize my efforts to sell my items.

I like some of the items that you are selling.....if it peaked my interest on an initial look, there should be demand.  Therefore, check and research a few of your items that might have strong demand and place them up for auction to see if the draw will interest potential buyers to see what else is for sale too.  Test it out.  Yes, it can be a risk, but  Risk = Reward.

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

I sell only auction format and my sales dropped off a cliff for the most part.  No way to promote them so they appear in a google search as they used to years ago and the unfortunate thing is they are auction,  no reserve and inventory I have never had before.  when they sell they are gone.  You don't have a chance to get them back and try it again.  Page views are even under 10 for most items in 7 days.  If I took out about 5 or 6 regular buyers,  my sales would be in the underworld,  not just off the cliff.

Skilled sponsored immigration of people that met health requirements built the country,  not just a mass of unknown people flooding the invisibly "secure" border.

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

Do what other retailers do when sales are difficult.  Review your merchandise mix and make sure your prices are competitive,  lower  prices and promote. And you may need to turn that merchandise with a lower or no profit margin to  increase cash flow  The retail world is a tough place these days 

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

Your not alone if that's any comfort, Tons of reasons,Not one solid specific answer!, I would not increase your ad rates,Why waste more money?, If they told you glitches & that it could take months,then we are all in Trouble!

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

My sales are down 95% just this past month... something is not right. 

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@dtelles11 

don’t worry about a short period…it is going to fluctuate. ❤️❤️

Yup.  Yer right.

I remember my dad telling me when I was but a mere lad, "You don't like the way things are going now?  Don't worry:  It'll change.  Oh, you DO like the way things are going now?  Worry:  It'll change."

When going thru Hell ... don't stop.

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

My sales dropped by 80-90% over 2 years ago & it never improved so I eliminated all of my listings & just add a handful to see what happens.  Might try listing untried items here & there just to stay 'active.'  Best of luck  to you.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

How can you make sales when you don't get seen. simple. It all started way back about 2013- with the new computer-  nick named cant-see-me. never recovered. 

Message 43 of 43
latest reply