cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Have my Sales dropped 14% all of the sudden since start of the year?

I have talked to several Reps and they claim they have been getting this type of call from alot of sellers. I have been with EBAY 8 years. I have been a consistent seller. All of the sudden sales have dropped off 14%. I have been told they have seen this and their maybe several glitches that should be worked out in the next couple of months. I have just started to update my ad rate fee from 6% to 8% to get my great items more visibility. Am I missing something? I have been very steady for years. Now this? any help is appreciated. I am all ears.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Why Have my Sales dropped 14% all of the sudden since start of the year?

Mine is down a lot more...

Ebay Sales.JPG

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@dtelles11 ,

Why are my sales up 8.7% month over month?

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

people are spending money,

Until they blow all their tax return money.

Have a great day.
Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

people are spending money,

Until they blow all their tax return money.

They are spending money NOW - far as I know tax returns haven't been issued yet lol.

Spending habits are changing - I buy far less stuff than I used to, my money goes to experiences, not wasted on a lot of stuff I don't really need. And I'm only a little bit of a seismic shift in priorities since the pandemic.

ETA: I know, I know...doesn't fit into the corporate media narrative.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 19 of 43
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@chariot_badges   PLEASE unless you are a trained economist with your fingers on the pulse of the world at a moments notice,  knock this doom and gloom off. This topic is not permitted on these forums. It is a better place when personal opinions stay off this page.

I have two Bachelors degrees from a California State University.  Business Admin and Managerial Economics.

I am a Licensed Appraiser for Tax Purposes by the State of California.

I have testified before Assessment Appeals Boards and Superior Court and am recognized as an expert in personal property valuation.

I have worked for County Assessors and the California State Board of Equalization, and most recently as a consultant to some pretty large corporations.  Very large in fact, names you'd recognize. 

I think I have a pretty good grounding in Macro and Micro Economics.  Both formal education, and personal education. 

ALL appraisal is an opinion.  Line up three economists and they'll point in six directions, and be able to support each of their position(s).  

In addition to all that, I am old.  I been an adult on this planet for well over a half century.  I have seen things.  I have seen all this before.  

I studied European history in Europe in the mid 60's - back when there were still lot of people around that lived in Europe during WW2.

Wanna hear something scary?   Doom and gloom?  

We are in the SAME spot right now, as Germany was in 1930.  Know what happened in Germany during those years, and for twenty years after?   Same spot.

I KNOW this forum is for Ebay and Ebay business.  But how can ANY business person ignore the environment they are doing business in?  Should they?  Do you think that Ebay upper management don't have conversations about economics?  and politics?  

It's ok for THEM to consider it, but they don't want US talking about it?

It's is political.  And, it is entirely appropriate in this forum.

The mods may take this post out (probably will) because it is uncomfortable to the fragile amongst us.

It is an important factor that we will ignore at our own peril.  

I hope I am wrong, I really do ... 

I truly hope that someone comes back here in a year and rubs my nose in how wrong I was.  

I'll gladly eat crow.  

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

@kensgiftshop 

we never get a refund.  We pay.🙄

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@dtelles11 

don’t worry about a short period…it is going to fluctuate. ❤️❤️

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@kensgiftshop 

we never get a refund.  We pay.🙄

If I get a refund, it isn't much, maybe enough to buy a candy bar.

Have a great day.
Message 23 of 43
latest reply

imo, a 14% drop in eBay sales is not the least bit uncommon. I would raise an eyebrow if it was 64%.

Posting ID
Message 24 of 43
latest reply

@chariot_badges 

Well I am 79, have a bachelors degree in Political Science, and a Masters in Non School Counseling. I  was an officer in the Air Force and Chief of Admin Services during my career . . Did I mention I have been married 55 years. I refuse to be doom and gloom, and will continue   with a positive attitude that MOST PEOPLE are decent, and our country will endure . 

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

My property tax, car Ins, Homeowners Ins, Utility’s, etc, have gone up at least 14 % in the last year.  My pay went up only 3 %.  Less money to spend on other things, including ebay.

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@chariot_badges 

Well I am 79, have a bachelors degree in Political Science, and a Masters in Non School Counseling. I  was an officer in the Air Force and Chief of Admin Services during my career . . Did I mention I have been married 55 years. I refuse to be doom and gloom, and will continue   with a positive attitude that MOST PEOPLE are decent, and our country will endure . 

Oh hell, I'm just a kid.

Only 72.

I too have a positive attitude .. but realism is important to me.  

When the plane I'm in is power diving into the ground, I face the fact that a crash may be in my future ... and I brace. 

Especially if I've been in a crash before, and remember what led up to it.   You know what I'm talking about, you're old. 

I'm having a ball with the remainder of my life because ... it's too late for anyone to do anything to change the fact that I will have a ball for the remainder of my life. I can laugh at the IRS because they won't be have the time to to anything of any consequence to me.  

We're not putting murderers in jail.  They gonna lock me up for owing a few thousand bucks?  LoL.  Right. 

I'm the 'older well meaning gent with a bad memory.'  

"Come get me copper."

I know what to do with my money better than the government.

Gas for the boat, bait for the fishing and beer for the skipper and crew, my wife of 41 years.  

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@chariot_badges 

I too am realistic. We have a society of idiots. Ordered two subway sandwiches..say dressings on the side on the specific SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS..it takes them 3 times to get it right…then they still reused the ingredients and did not remake the sandwich. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

Don't forget to vote!

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

How were your sales in February/March 2023? 2022?  2019?

Skip 2021, since that was during the pandemic surge of online buying.  And 2020  one is tricky because the pandemic was setting in.

You may find that February/March are always slow for you.

Be careful of the 30 day total too. That's a rolling number and if 29 days ago you had a huge sale, then in two days your 30 day total will plummet.

If you were on the phone, the reps will agree with anything you say to get you off the phone and move on to fill their daily quota.

If you are using PL do you find the 6% rates work better than no PL? Or better than the minimum 2%? I'm experimenting with dropping PL to see if the "halo" also means that I get better exposure for the next 30 days while eBay can still collect the PL.

I've been selling retail for over 30 years, and for me January to March have always been strong. On the other hand, most retailers are busy in November/December, while my sales are consistently so low then that I have some years just closed down until Boxing Day.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply