cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose Logo Is This?

Alright, before I start writing this piece up, can anyone tell me what logo this is on top of this old pepper grinder? (I'm assuming it is old)...

Whats-My-Line.jpg

Also, what is the metal on it?  It somewhat reminds me of the Sterling silver on copper like a couple other pieces I have up elsewhere, but I can't find any markings to verify if that is the case, or if it is something else.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Whose Logo Is This?

Gorham silverplate

Might be bronze underneath

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Whose Logo Is This?

Logo or monogram (First/Last/Middle Initials)?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

Agree with monogram, personalized. I've seen lots of pocket watches, lighters, cigarette cases etc. with scripting like that. But... a pepper mill is weird. I always think of these things as special gifts and even heirlooms.

Doesn't look like a logo to me. But cooler than the average pepper mill!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

I think you have George W. Bush's pepper mill...

I can't tell for sure from the sketchy picture, but it looks like silver plate that the plating has worn through on...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

That is a monogram of a previous owner (initials). The pepper grinder does appear to be old and if it were sterling silver or silver plated it would be hallmarked somewhere on the metal.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

Can you separate the metal part from the wood without destroying it to see if there are any markings on the bottom?

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

It's a monogram.... &

Base metal or pewter  (there isn't any tarnish in recessed design areas.... even when polished sterling would usually have some tarnish around screws and in recessed designs such as monogrammed letters... also usually if something is sterling the mark will be obvious/visible)

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

@ted_200wrote:

I think you have George W. Bush's pepper mill...

hahahaha .... I was thinking the same thing. 🙂

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

'JHB' monogram on an old pocketwatch I have, WW2 era. It was a thrift store find. There's got to be a story behind it. I wish it still worked, I'd use it!

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

well look at that.  One item from George W. and one from George H.  who woulda thunk it.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

gopetersen
Rockstar

It does look like GWB monogram, although I suppose it could be GNB with a not-so-good N.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

@annadrylwrote:

'JHB' monogram on an old pocketwatch I have, WW2 era. It was a thrift store find. There's got to be a story behind it. I wish it still worked, I'd use it!

Were you by chance across the state here in Baker City recently, and found that at our Salvation Army here?  That looks like the same monogram that is on both of the pepper mills I found (the one above going to Etsy, and an identical one to be listed here.)

And as a little update, here is what is on the lower metal band...

FG-Co-Mark.JPG

Looks like some sort of anchor logo (but surely this isn't Anchor Hocking, right?), G. MFG Co, 0635.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

I found the watch locally but sometimes estates get spread to relatives all over. I worked in a huge thrift store and have seen other engravings of this style. Pretty hard to decifer some! All of it is pretty old and I'm sure your grinders are, maybe even antique. Did they have vintage pepper? I've seen a ton of that!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

Here is a better shot of the logo on the bottom band...

Anchor-Logo.jpg

I'm surprised it actually came out properly this time.  Definitely looks like an anchor on top, and perhaps either a clam shell or a crown on the bottom.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Whose Logo Is This?

Gorham silverplate

Might be bronze underneath

Message 15 of 22
latest reply