cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is Buyer's Zip code on a Best Offer?

I usually ship free, so knowing the buyer's Zip Code with a Best Offer is important in deciding whether to accept the offer.  In the past the buyer's Zip Code was included with the offer, now it's not and I don't see anyway easy to find it.  Any suggestions short of having to message each buyer for it?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Unless I'm mistaken, the zip appears on the pop-up when you click accept/counter/reject/etc so you can see it before you confirm. Is that no longer the case?

I'm sure you're aware buyer can change address before they pay unless it's an auto-pay offer.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I didn't see it when replying, but would have to look again to be sure.  In the past it was with the offer details and was even in the offer email ebay sent.

Yes, buyer changing the delivery Zip happens, but not often.  Another issue is not knowing whether the offer is an auto-pay offer.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Sometimes the offers we get do not show a zip code. We have never figured out why some don`t ? Yes it's important to know when considering an offer !!  

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Yup. I'd like this too. Sometimes I try to see if they are listing any items for sale and the location of that item, but that is far from perfect.  One of the reasons I stopped using Free Shipping. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I just had an offer this morning, and yes this time the Zip Code was on the response page, but no where else like it use to be.  We'll see if is on the next offer too, as I don't remember it always being there.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Another issue is not knowing whether the offer is an auto-pay offer.

@rfmtm 

eBay has been informing sellers of this.  The recent seller update indicated that ALL buyer IDs will now be forced into the program, so as long as you keep your block/preferences set to yes, the buyer generated offers will be paid immediately. (May not apply to international buyers) You can check yours here: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Understand, however, that the auto-pay requirement ALSO discourages buyers that DO pay in a timely manner.  The payment options for such buyers are quite limited, and there will be no option to combine items for one shipping cost. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Shouldn't the postage already be figured in for the furthest the package might travel with free shipping and that cost added to item price? Knowing that cost and cost of item you could figure out what your profit after fees would be without having to know the buyers zip code. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Simplify your life. When you are ready to list if you need to estimate shipping go to the USPS site and estimate the furthest point in the US from you. Set that as your fixed shipping price. Then if it is less you make a few cents.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

I just had an offer this morning, and yes this time the Zip Code was on the response page, but no where else like it use to be.  We'll see if is on the next offer too, as I don't remember it always being there.

Thanks. Keep us posted. GF does best offers sometimes and said that's where she always sees the zip. They removed it from emails a while ago.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

No, because offers vary widely and shipping cost can as well.  For example, if shipping varies by $10., that makes what I can accept as an offer also vary by $10.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

eBay has been informing sellers of this.  The recent seller update indicated that ALL buyer IDs will now be forced into the program

Will, but not fully there yet. Things like counter offers sent by buyers and seller initiated offers are not sitewide.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-fall/business

All buyers are now required to add a payment method when making offers on Best Offer listings. After you accept the offer, we’ll automatically charge the buyer’s chosen payment method so they won’t have to return to eBay to complete their purchase.

These changes are automatically applied to buyer offers, so you don’t need to update or make changes to your Best Offer listings. We also plan to launch similar changes for Seller Initiated Offers, buyer counter offers, and auctions to even further improve the experience for sellers.

We’re also implementing stricter policies–including account suspension–for users who repeatedly win auctions or make a Best Offer on items but fail to complete the purchase.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Including and padding the shipping to cover to Zone 8 can discourage some buyers from purchasing. Not so much on lightweights, but more so on the heavyweights.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Then use calculated shipping. That way it is easier to keep track of shipping costs at tax time and you will not have to worry about needing the zip code and also could put your items higher in the lowest price search. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Calculated shipping doesn't quite solve the problem either with the new pay in advance feature, and for many items I sell (on another ID), free gets much better sell through.

Ebay needs to give us a way to selectively apply the pay in advance option only to those items unlikely to be combined, and/or a way to combined shipping regardless of when best offer is used.   One easy way would be the pay in advance would not be immediate, but depend on the days a seller sets for purchase of other items before payment is due.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply