cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search results sure are frustrating

I have an engine listed on eBay.  Getting ready to list another and thought I'd just use my existing and "sell similar".
So a ran a basic search.   Model, Size, Engine.    
Filter to Used. Filter High to Low.
   Not there.
Filter Nearest 1st.
  Not there.
Tried again... Make, Model, Size, Engine (exactly how it's typed in my title)
Nada

So, I have to go to my store and search my store in order to find it.  There it is! 

Not easy to sell something that can't be found unless you already know it's there.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Search has been messed up for me too.  I tried doing some research on the app and the search results I was getting vs. what I was searching for were miles apart.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I bet I average 50 searches a day when listing items.   Price research mostly.
   It's mind boggling how many items that I KNOW are there, and should be showing up using the filters....That are just not able to be found Unless you know they are there.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's mind boggling how many items that I KNOW are there, and should be showing up using the filters....That are just not able to be found Unless you know they are there.

How do you counter that as a seller?   How do you get your product in front of someone when half of it isn't even being displayed?

What I do is ... list more.   If I have three used widgets with a value of about $10 each I list all three of them, separately. 

I list one widget in the "Tools, widgets" category for $9.90

I list one widget in the "Tools, misc., metal working" category for $9.70

I list one widget in the "Antique tools and widgets" category for $10.90

If someone is looking for a widget, they now have three times the chances of seeing mine over seeing the three you listed as a multiple under "Tools, widgets."

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Is it the Dodge Ram Engine Block?

I see it. I tried various searches, and it turns up for me in each search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Dodge%20Ram%20ENGINE%20BLOCK&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&...

That listing appears to have 14 watchers, so others seem to be finding it, too.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The main intent of eBay's crappy search engine isn't to "help" you locate items. Not anymore.
It's intent is to parade a never-ending garbage stream of promoted listings that you hopefully will click on and maybe buy.
And if you're lucky enough, there might be a few related items you searched for.
Don't bet on it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Search functionality was a hot topic 20 years ago, but now it's been left behind.
What's all the rage now is AI, regardless of whether it's practical or not. Everyone is chasing AI, hoping to get a foot in the door to deceive more opportunities.
Perhaps even becoming a CEO of a big corporation and living a lavish life.

This is similar to what happened with network security a decade ago.
After all these years, is network security any better? Not at all, in fact, it's even worse.
But now, nobody cares because you can't deceive more opportunities with network security anymore.

eBay's search functionality is destined to be ignored, letting it decay.
Do you think eBay's bigwigs care about buyers and sellers? Wrong! Think again!
What they truly care about is how long they can stay in their luxurious positions and where the next opportunity lies.
Their subordinates share the same mindset.
Have you ever worked in a large corporation? If you have, you know what I'm talking about.

-

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

Is it the Dodge Ram Engine Block?

I see it. I tried various searches, and it turns up for me in each search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Dodge%20Ram%20ENGINE%20BLOCK&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&...

That listing appears to have 14 watchers, so others seem to be finding it, too.

Finally!  I'm glad it's showing up again.  (had that issue with two Dodge engine blocks awhile back).
BUT, unfortunately, that's not the engine in question this time.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@chariot_badges wrote:

How do you counter that as a seller?   How do you get your product in front of someone when half of it isn't even being displayed?

What I do is ... list more.   If I have three used widgets with a value of about $10 each I list all three of them, separately. 

I list one widget in the "Tools, widgets" category for $9.90

I list one widget in the "Tools, misc., metal working" category for $9.70

I list one widget in the "Antique tools and widgets" category for $10.90

If someone is looking for a widget, they now have three times the chances of seeing mine over seeing the three you listed as a multiple under "Tools, widgets."

I've tried exactly that (by accident).  I listed 5 basically "like" engine blocks.  
I listed 4 of them under the "engine block" category.   
One accidentally ended up in the "complete engine" category.
  A few weeks later I was checking something, and was not able to find that One. 

I've also listed engine pushrods in quantities of 1,2,3,4,6,12  (lots of people just need one or a few).
This trying to stack up my listings and burry others listings.
What ends up happening there?  Only one or two of my listings is returned in a search.

The closest thing to "sure" has been on Engine Blocks.  I listed a couple at a stupid high price, then promoted those two at 20%.    
They seemed to be the 1st on the page at every search.  
I was just doing that to guide shoppers to my other listings...however, amazingly, they both sold.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply