cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when a buyer is about to do a scam return on you?

A buyer from South Carolina bought my lot of empty printer ink tanks this week.  Within less than an hour of the package's delivery confirmation, he filed on eBay for a refund. The reason? They "arrived damaged" and "they were used." He posted this photo to both eBay and me:

Ink tanks shown by scammer.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: What to do when a buyer is about to do a scam return on you?

I do not see that listing in your solds section so it is hard to tell whether the listing was set up properly. Did you list it in the for repair and parts only section? Did you put in the title they were empty?

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Doubt it's a scam.  Looks to me like a buyer that didn't read (or understand) the listing.  
What you do is:  Accept the return, and refund when returned.  
After that, if the return is not what you shipped?  You then start a case yourself in hopes that eBay will refund you.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@coolections 

Could this be the listing? >> Lot of 15 Genuine Canon 280/281 XL Empty Ink Cartridges VIRGIN/Never Refilled | eBay

If so, it's not listed as 'Parts', but it lists 'Empty' about half a dozen times. Hmmm... 🤔

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

No. The picture the OP supplied is completely different then that listing. I rechecked. OK, maybe it is just scattered cartridges made it look different. You are correct, not the right category. Saying used is not the same as saying trash.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Because that's the photo the buyer sent him?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I agree this is doubtful a scam.  Likely they bought from a picture alone, zero reading comprehension... we've all had those buyers.

Do the return, and refund when it's returned.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

Doubt it's a scam.  Looks to me like a buyer that didn't read (or understand) the listing.  
After that, if the return is not what you shipped?  You then start a case yourself in hopes that eBay will refund you.

@redlinear 

That would work in a perfect world, but if the seller issues a refund/protects Metrics, the seller can't appeal the refund that he/she issued. But, @billythekid16 could report the buyer, though.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

To everyone here: I am so sorry. I accidentally pressed Post and thus my original message was incomplete. This is the rest of my story:

The red flag in the photo is the 281XXL ink tank...I never sent him that.  And the fact that the packing slip is in pristine unfolded condition, and flipped over so as to not see if it has my mailing address on it.  I folded the packing slip before mailing it, so it should have had four folding creases. Another red flag.

His responses to me were evasive. I tried to get an explanation from him, but they were short - "send shipping label" and "used, not new."  I am expecting to get back a whole different set of ink tanks, if he does make the effort to mail it back to me.  But is there anything else I can do, aside from accepting this as a loss?

Sidenote: I can't think of what motive this guy has.  Empty ink tanks for those who want to refill them to save money on printer ink seems (to me) an unlikely target for scammers.  Unless he found some way to get more money from eBay through the refund, it just seems odd.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@coolections 

Could this be the listing? >> Lot of 15 Genuine Canon 280/281 XL Empty Ink Cartridges VIRGIN/Never Refilled | eBay

If so, it's not listed as 'Parts', but it lists 'Empty' about half a dozen times. Hmmm... 🤔

Yes. That's the listing. I never had a previous problem listing it as such.  Had previous success with it until this week.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

@redlinear 

That would work in a perfect world, but if the seller issues a refund/protects Metrics, the seller can't appeal the refund that he/she issued. But, @billythekid16 could report the buyer, though.

Can to. That's how it's done.  
I've had two fairly expensive "not my items" returned to me.  I did as required.  Refunded as soon as the returns arrived.  Immediately opened a case, explained what happened, and both times eBay paid me for the items (refunded the scammer also...but, paid me also).
   You have to refund (or else eBay will do it for you).
I don't suggest pursuing it further, UNLESS it's a substantial amount though.  I don't assume eBay to be that generous very often.  So, save it for something that counts.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@billythekid16 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@coolections 

Yes. That's the listing. I never had a previous problem listing it as such.  Had previous success with it until this week.

@billythekid16 

Well, I'm one who protects my Metrics, so I'd approve the Return and refund upon the cartridges' return to me.

Then... I suppose I'd call it a lesson learned (dang it!) and not list them in that category again. Hang in there...

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Buyer may be upset with a different seller and just thinking it's you.  
If you can't get through to the buyer though, you simply have no other option than to accept the return and refund when a packages arrives.....or refund now and let them keep the cartridges.
If you don't...eBay will do it for you. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Found the OP sold a lot of 15 empty cartridges on April 18 2023.

I am a bit confused about the term VIRGIN in their headline description.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

Found the OP sold a lot of 15 empty cartridges on April 18 2023.

I am a bit confused about the term VIRGIN in their headline description.

Virgin cartridges are empty inkjet and toner cartridges that have NEVER been refilled.  That's a term people who refill these tanks understand.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply