cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What plans have you made to shut down eBay in case something happens to you?

Not a spring chick anymore and have to plan in case I am not around anymore.

DIL has my passwords and knows how eBay operates.

What else needs to be done?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: What plans have you made to shut down eBay in case something happens to you?

@pikabo-icu 

...love what you said...lol...

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

Re: What plans have you made to shut down eBay in case something happens to you?

@bbravo65 wrote:

@pikabo-icu 

...love what you said...lol...

000flowers.gifaaa kisses.gif

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

Gosh, some great suggestions and made me think of other things that need to be handled.  DH is on all bank accounts but has never banked via the computer.  Will have to go over that with him and write down detailed instructions on how to do it.

Except for 2 or 3 items that go to specific people, family can do whatever they want with 'remains.'

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

"I recently had a similar situation.  The last weekend in April, I tore the cornea in my right eye.  It was very painful and my vision was shot to he77.  Using voice activated messaging, I was able to message the buyers of the items that sold that day.  All but one were very patient with me and I let them know right off there would be a delay in shipping, or I could refund them right away.  It made me realize that I do need a backup plan for eBay!"

OMG...I feel for you.  I had the same thing happen to me about 30 years ago...SO PAINFUL!!!  I had to sit in the dark with sunglasses on and blankets over the windows.  It was hades.  I never want to feel that pain again.

To answer the 'what to do' question, we are older and really have no idea.  My son doesn't care in the slightest that we have a huge collection of really cool stuff.

But in another scenario, we were caught up in the 2007 (I think) humongest storm in the Pacific Northwest and the power was out for nine days.  We were finally able to access the 'Net in a UPS store across the bay, and all our buyers were very understanding since they had seen it on the news.  Bless them.

What I've been wrestling with as I get older is who do I leave all this gorgeous stuff to.....someone who appreciates beautiful and valuable things, or relatives who don't give a darn.  The son does give a darn but really for video games and such.  I love him but....

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

That is great advice...thank you so much.  I just need to get it done.  We have a very sizable estate and I don't want it tied up in court.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

"So the question is all of it going to a place which would honor my wishes on what to do with it as opposed to it just going into the ether.  Ultimately it all just dying and never being read is probably the worst thing.  But I do realize that it all has some kind of monetary value (even if it's just whatever comes by having the work out there and *cited* to me properly), and the issue is getting it realized at some point."

I feel your conundrum...I used to write fiction and had a few things published.  But I have dozens of short stories and a couple of novel ideas on paper that are just stored.  I switched to music (after suffering from writer's block) and have now dozens of songs and a CD that my hubs and I did.  He has songs also, as have I, written before meeting and then ones we wrote together.

My point is...like the poster I am answering is will they be vanished when we go, or saved?  I think about that and all the creativity that we (as humans) miss when someone passes and their creations are lost.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

This is a very good topic, my wives family owns a funeral home and of course they do pre-arrangements. But never did I think I need to make sure someone knows what to do with my ebay if I pass. This will be a conversation I have today!

Thank you so much for your post. 

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

"

I looked at him straight in the eye and said, that would be the least of my worries I would be dead!

If something did happen to me without warning, there would be no one to close up or let people know what was going on so my account would take some hits."

Funny how some people will say things like "if you die I will kick your **bleep**".  lol  Won't really matter much by then will it?

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

For those thinking of a non life-threatening hospitalization lasting perhaps more than two days or something requiring a long home recovery without the ability to use a computer a simple note with your ebay password and instructions on how to put your account in the lovely "time away" mode might suffice for a short while.  

If you have a durable power of attorney for health care set up in advance and designate someone to handle your finances until you are back that would include ebay.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Having a will

and having a binder for computer related information.

*  I keep a binder with all my accounts, passwords, "information given".

The first page, has in alphabetical order, the websites that I have accounts with.

*  The next section is the webite, ID, password and other information
and this is into sections for 

Advertising : (Pinterest, Weebly ..),

Domains :

E-Mail accounts : (Yahoo, Gmail and what they are used for)

Money : Bank, Paypal .. .. .

References : 

Selling Sites :  eBid, ....

Shipping :  Pirateship, USPS

ZZZZ :  Some suppliers

Back section has all the accounts that I had and are closed. 
Marked in red the date closed and anything else.

I do have a big notation on my domains that one of my domains is worth over $10,000 and it's noted in my will to keep it registered until it's sold.  I won't sell it yet.

Depending on the section that the account is in, I described how to close the account. Things that don't have much is a simple close down.  Others, I would change out things so that my information isn't true and then 6 months later delete the account.

2 people know that I have this book. Always have a hard copy on hand.
I don't use my computer to do accounting on.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@glasser suggested I weigh in on this conversation to provide an eBay perspective on this topic. 

There are two main scenarios at play: long term hospitalization/incapacitation and when an account owner passes on, some insight into both follows:

Long term hospitalization/incapacitation:

First and foremost, please take care of yourself! Once you're in a place where you have time to think about eBay stuff, focus on communication with any buyers. Cancel transactions if they request, etc.

Using the 'Time Away' feature to block purchases and remove listings from view is a great suggestion from others I've seen on the thread while you focus on recovery.

It's important to note that CS cannot take these actions on your behalf - they cannot put items in 'Time Away' nor can they send messages to any potential buyers. Having someone you trust who can access your account is a great peace of mind.

Death of an account Owner:

The death of an account owner is a situation that CS is trained to address. Leave instructions for your loved ones to contact eBay Customer Support once they're ready.  Our teammates will take the report and work to verify the passing. Once verified, the account will be closed, unless the surviving spouse requests it to be transferred to their name. An account's ownership will not be transferred in any other circumstance. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Thanks tyler@ebay good to know eBay has support in these cases!

Message 42 of 42
latest reply