cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What plans have you made to shut down eBay in case something happens to you?

Not a spring chick anymore and have to plan in case I am not around anymore.

DIL has my passwords and knows how eBay operates.

What else needs to be done?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: What plans have you made to shut down eBay in case something happens to you?

If you set up a will with the information your lawyer will handle it or be sure it is handled properly.  

The following advice is not specifically for the original poster.  If you are an adult of any age with any assets the least you could do is write out a basic will and a simple listing of assets and who you want them to go to.

If you own real assets and have investments you need a will and perhaps a trust.  Account information with access info should be available to the person you designate to handle your affairs.  When you die accounts can get lost if you don't specifically include them in your bequest instructions.  Even if you are married and have your spouse listed as a beneficiary years can pass before you get contacted about an account.  These things don't happen automatically, trust me.  

A simple one page hand written explanation of almost anything can be included with your final instructions.  Or you can be a jerk and leave everything up to chance when you die unexpectedly.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Re: What plans have you made to shut down eBay in case something happens to you?

Thank you for this post. It motivates me to get some plans put into place.  

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

Intellectual property?

If you mean papers and books on your specialty, including of course your own writings, might I suggest donating to your university archives? You may help someone's doctoral thesis one day.

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

Holy Moly people..

I'm glad you all have plans in case of the worst.. I pray you all have long, healthy lives! 

In my case, If I'm dead, I'm probably not going to worry too much about eBay.. LOL

However; if there's a way, I promise to come back and HAUNT all the scammers that have ripped y'all off!

AAzombie.gif

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

@jayjaspersgarage 

Could I add a small side note to the will suggestion?

This might be only here in Canada, but I have a special trust in my will for my great-grandnephew whose autism makes it unlikely that he will ever be able to be self-supporting or live independently.

The trust is in his grandmother (my niece)'s name. The reason for this is that if he were to receive a bequest, his (probable ) disability pension would be reduced. With another handling it, he can get additions to his pension without being poorer for the bequest.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Intellectual property?

Meaning I've produced a ton of coding projects and general essays (usually posted to blog but undrafted/unpublished stuff too) on a hobbyist level.  Enough for several books worth on both counts.  Ideally I'd love to dispose of it all myself (sell or post to github or whatever) before the question of being room temperature happens, but probably won't be the case. 

So the question is all of it going to a place which would honor my wishes on what to do with it as opposed to it just going into the ether.  Ultimately it all just dying and never being read is probably the worst thing.  But I do realize that it all has some kind of monetary value (even if it's just whatever comes by having the work out there and *cited* to me properly), and the issue is getting it realized at some point.

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Lot of good suggestions. Definitely have some one designated to access your account on eBay and do what's needed to be done.

I would also suggest:

Adding somebody else ( you trust obviously 🙂 ) to your bank account who can take care of any eBay related financial matters that may pop up. This would doubly true if you have an account you use just for eBay and you have sole access. It can take a long time to gain account access if you don't already have permission.

Always have a good inventory list with what you paid for items. No one in my family has any idea of what stuff is really worth and what I paid.  If they have to unfortunately do any estate valuing for tax or other purposes this would be important information. It would also be critical if they are looking to or need to sell the items. 

Someone--a spouse, child, trusted friend--should have or be given information for your key accounts associated with eBay like your email.

eBay should really have information on this if they don't already.

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

That's great you have someone to finish out your ebay account

Alternately, your DIL can transfer your listings on her own account

I hope your husband has recovered from his hip injury 😩

I wish you all the BEST for your life

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

Being single in one person household with family and friends, non are close by or versed in this computer stuff or selling on eBay, so would be much in the same boat.

Years ago when I was working in the mail room at the Oregon Medical Association; my boss asked about a job I had not finished on a Friday; what if I died over the weekend? I looked at him straight in the eye and said, that would be the least of my worries I would be dead!

If something did happen to me without warning, there would be no one to close up or let people know what was going on so my account would take some hits.

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

@pikabo-icu 

But what if something a little less "final" happens?  Car accident, slip and fall break something out of commission for a week or two, etc.

Next to your Wonder Woman cape and that laser/phaser you keep at the ready, maybe have a way to put your items into Time Away and handle any orders, just in case?    😎

Didn't think I would need it either, except 4 day in-patient with about 3 hours warning, will change your mind.  Never mind when you get out of the hospital, the LAST thing I wanted to think about besides sleep was e-Bay!  lol

AND, if there is a way to haunt from the beyond, I want paid for it.  And snacks.  If you did it for one, word would get around and everybody would want it.  lol

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 25 of 42
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@pikabo-icu 

But what if something a little less "final" happens?  Car accident, slip and fall break something out of commission for a week or two, etc.

Next to your Wonder Woman cape and that laser/phaser you keep at the ready, maybe have a way to put your items into Time Away and handle any orders, just in case?    😎

Didn't think I would need it either, except 4 day in-patient with about 3 hours warning, will change your mind.  Never mind when you get out of the hospital, the LAST thing I wanted to think about besides sleep was e-Bay!  lol

AND, if there is a way to haunt from the beyond, I want paid for it.  And snacks.  If you did it for one, word would get around and everybody would want it.  lol

I do have all my passwords in a book and I would likely tell my grown son, that lives on the property what to do. At the point I can't sell at all anymore, I have told them to sell off my designer stuff for whatever they can get.

If they take losses at that point, it probably wont matter.. 

ROFL 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

Hope you are well today.

As far as the topic: 

My DD bought me a book titled: I'm Dead Now What. Important Information About My Belongings, Business Affairs, and Wishes

In it is all and every thing that you might need to get your final wishes tended. Personal, Medical, Key Contact information. Important Documents, Insurance information and where to find them. Financial and Business information.

Then you can list: Personal property, pets and whatnot. 

There is a section: What to Pay, Close, and Cancel. Another section for emails/social media.

And one for MY WISHES.

If you have no one to ask to take care of business, (lawyer was suggested) your local funeral director is a very good resource. And you don't have to be on your "deathbed" to use Hospice.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

Hope you are well today.

As far as the topic: 

My DD bought me a book titled: I'm Dead Now What. Important Information About My Belongings, Business Affairs, and Wishes

In it is all and every thing that you might need to get your final wishes tended. Personal, Medical, Key Contact information. Important Documents, Insurance information and where to find them. Financial and Business information.

Then you can list: Personal property, pets and whatnot. 

There is a section: What to Pay, Close, and Cancel. Another section for emails/social media.

And one for MY WISHES.

If you have no one to ask to take care of business, (lawyer was suggested) your local funeral director is a very good resource. And you don't have to be on your "deathbed" to use Hospice.

Ohhh aside from the morbid aspect of this  (I hate thinking about death) this is a very good idea.. 

~Pika~

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

To see how this is  done, go to your "my eBay". Just below your username is a link for "account". On the right side of that page is a list headed "account preferences". At the bottom is "close my account". At the bottom of that page is a link for "contact us about closing the account of a deceased member".

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

@patd3283 wrote:

Not a spring chick anymore and have to plan in case I am not around anymore.

DIL has my passwords and knows how eBay operates.

What else needs to be done?

The shop owner at the brick and mortar store has my passwords and contact info for both my roommate and significant other. They can return anything I have of theirs that's remaining in my house. (Stuff comes home to be processed before it's returned to the inventory shelf, so at any given time I could have a few hundred dollars in merchandise laying about).

He can also put my store on vacation mode should something happen and I'm laid up, but temporarily. When I travel (which used to be one significant trip a year), he was checking my account for open cases and issues that needed a response, although I would usually stop selling 2 weeks before leaving so it was only the odd straggling shipment I had to worry about. I had someone go bonkers on me while I was in Africa over a $5 DVD and I don't need the aggravation.

C.

Message 30 of 42
latest reply