cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What percentage of ebay users in US are on mobile vs website?

Anyone know? Trying to understand why the ebay app functionality is such a low priority for ebay. The constant back & forth between app & website is awful and very behind the times. Navigating your site as seller & buyer on a mobile device with no mouse is cumbersome and frankly awful. For example (and this is just ONE): As a buyer, if I want to buy multiple items from a seller, I have to leave the app, go to the website, to request a combined total or pay all of the shipping and hope the seller refunds the overage. As a seller, we can’t send invoices to buyers with multiple items unless we leave the app and go to the website. We can’t rearrange photos in the website from our app, another example. Back & forth, back & forth, back & forth. All I can figure is that only a few of us are on mobile or it would be a higher priority? But according to general user data across the internet, mobile is huge! 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@krys888   If you use PayPal's date range programmable CSV formatted database (that opens in a spreadsheet program) you can sort the one column for the transaction type and all mobile purchases are grouped together as are purchase from non-mobile devices ...

The % numbers that eBay publishes are good information from a general standpoint but I think its also good to know what the breakdown is for the categories one sells in.  They may be higher or lower then the "national" average.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

55/45 Computers. Mobile users are creeping up, maybe that is part of the lack of sales, as items that are not typically bought at a store/az are harder to research/see pics etc. on a phone? 

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Wow. 45% is almost half. I wonder if it would be higher if the app had full functionality or at least more of the basics. I would think ebay would want to encourage multiple item sales! Not being able to request a total is downright odd!

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

This is referring to the app only, it makes no mention of shopping via mobile browser.

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/ebay-statistics

"eBay statistics show that more than three out of every ten (34.9 percent) US mobile users use the eBay app with approximately 66 million monthly app users (Statista, 2019).

This makes the eBay app the third-most popular mobile shopping app among shoppers in the US, behind ecommerce giant Amazon’s and Walmart’s mobile apps, which are used by 80 percent and 43.8 percent of US mobile users respectively.

The eBay app also offers the highest reach among all Android retail apps worldwide. It’s estimated 6.27 percent of all Android users can be reached with the eBay app – much higher than that of Amazon (0.97 percent) and Walmart (1.78 percent)."

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Wow again! Now I’m even more puzzled by their lack of priority on the app functionality! Especially the functions directly related to sales! Wow! I think the investors got the money that should’ve gone to app development — then they could’ve had more money LOL!

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I only purchase on the app if I have a bucks promo that gives me a bigger bucks payoff using the app. Even then I'll shop on my computer then go to the app to checkout. Generally speaking- the app is useless for selling and clunky for buying.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Yet 33 to 45% of online are using the apps. Some of us don’t have computers, only tablets or phones. Very interesting!

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

The app is hot garbage IMO. I am shocked people even use it let alone sellers. I am also amazed there are some people who don't even own a computer though. In the end I have to accept that these apps aren't designed for "power users".
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@krys888 wrote:

Some of us don’t have computers, only tablets or phones.

You can still access the mobile web view using a browser without having to rely on the app.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@krys888 wrote:

Wow again! Now I’m even more puzzled by their lack of priority on the app functionality! Especially the functions directly related to sales! Wow! I think the investors got the money that should’ve gone to app development — then they could’ve had more money LOL!

You have to read between the lines ...........

.... it makes no mention of shopping via mobile browser ...

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I use google analytics on the UK ebay site, over the last 90 days;

75.7% Desktop

14.7% Tablet

9.6% Mobile.

Hope that helps 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I am also amazed there are some people who don't even own a computer though.

Same here. I've only used my phone to print a label once. I do all my buying and selling on a PC exclusively.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Yes. Website is cumbersome to navigate without a mouse. Sigh. But, I seem to keep saying that lol. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Too heavy for my purse. Phone & ipad much easier on the shoulders. And that would be way too much sitting for me lol.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I keep wandering, what do you need a mouse for?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply