cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is eBay take the site of scammers over legitimate People

I find it ironic eBay refuses to investigate or even do any type of due diligence when it's brought to their attention that someone is scamming. This is the third time that I have brought it to their attention they have overlooked it denied any type of due process and refused an appeal, to just side with the buyer. By sending a great deal of Information I showed them that this buyer attempted to buy an item I was selling cancel the sale two days later stating changed his mind but had hoped I had already sent the item. They made a big old fuss about me not getting back to them even though I sent them an email right out of the box. However the address they were using to send it item was not their address in fact it was an address of a property that was sold By the buyer months before they neither had no equitable claim no ownership in that address. The address was being rerouted to their actual address which would thereby claim they never received The item. Ebay was not concerned nor looked at any of the hyperlinks I sent them to include the buyer had three different Profiles that showed three different people bought the item. On top of that I pointed it out to ebay they didn't pay no mind to it and the bigger kick is a week prior another person with a different profile Contacted me, Claiming the Item I was selling was fake I simply told the person I would pull the serial numbers have it sent to the company verified and it would cost him $7500 and I would gladly bring it to their house so they could pay for it and be accountable for making such absurd accusations this buyer What's the same person because they told me well you told me you'd bring it to my house I never said nothing like that to them I said it to the other person I showed this to eBay they didn't care they charged me their fees returned the money held my bank account hostage credit card hostage and refused to even look at this matter it's become a shame because when eBay first started I was on it back in 2003 -2004 And it was a good place to buy and sell items now it's no longer that I don't know who's the bigger crook the scammers or eBay let him get away with it and charging the sellers I think my time has come to an end here As this is the third time in a row it has happened. With so many policies and so many rules and so many stops blocks for charging and collecting eBay shares hell don't follow their own rules. But this time maybe they will as somebody has to be accountable if they allow people to lie and they sanction the other party in favor of money, they call that fraud, embezzlement, Deceptive practices To name a few. I highly doubt eBay will post this as they did with the last ones but who knows maybe it'll slide through,...if we allow people to continue to do this then we're really no better than they are but if we stand up to them Perhaps the next person won't have to.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: What is eBay take the site of scammers over legitimate People

@gnracin72 wrote:

I get their point don’t sell what you can’t afford to lose, but I’m not really interested in losing. So I think it’s time I opt out of eBay , but your comment was, “Well said touché!” Appreciate your time.

@gnracin72

Thank you and thank you for taking the time to post your problem - A problem that is truly "the elephant in the room" - Like I said in my original post, I dont list here anymore - I still have listings up, but they are the leftovers of leftovers - I keep the account open in the hopes ebay will make some changes to show more respect to the plight of sellers here dealing with exorbitant fees and fraud problems - I am somewhat lucky as I can afford to halt online sales and the average value of my stock is always(for the most part) on the rise, so I'm really not under any time constraints - I pity those who have all their eggs in the online sales gig, specifically medium sized business sellers...

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

Agree with OP. And the number of sellers white knighting for eBay here is sickening. When it finally happens to you, your tune will quickly change. I'm only sorry I won't be around to say, "I told you so."

It's not a matter of "White Knighting for eBay."

The fact is eBay is a venue, not a retailer, not a card processor, not a merchant account provider, not law enforcement, not a legal mediator of commerce just off the top of my head.  The OP could just as well display his/her facts to his local police as attempting to perpetuate a fraud is against the law.  Just as with law enforcement those police will be asking for concrete evidence towards an arrest that a District Attorney can act and prosecute upon.  There is no supposition of, "I think the perpetrator was attempting defraud by using their old home address."  Mail forwarding is nothing new in this nation for example.

If the OP is completely certain of attempted fraud one goes to the police, that's their job and I can assure you when said authorities login to eBay's backend for authorities usage they will examine the issue.  If they deem eBay need act they'll inform eBay to act.  They can take issue with statement of "Send me $7500 and..." as that in its own right sounds rather extortive.

People need understand what "Venue" means. Facebook Marketplace is a venue, anyone who's tried buy there in any significance has people asking to send them money via Venmo and others amongst literal hordes of other scams.  Does anyone see Facebook removing people's social media accounts?  Uh uh.  Breaches of law are matters for law enforcement who THEN inform the venue to act accordingly.  If someone attempts to steal you're prized Lionel Train Engine at the flea market whether they were or were not do you expect the proprietors of said flea market to ban the customer?  Hold him/her in chains?  No, it's a matter for police, that's the way things work and police work on facts not suppositions.

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

... If you had your own B&M store, you wouldn't need to say things like EVERYBODY here does (even the apologists)  like, "Don't sell anything you can't afford to lose"  ...

Actually, a lot of retailers, family-owned and big chain, are closing because they can no longer afford the losses to theft and robbery. 

The others are putting much of their inventory under lock-and-key, which is incredibly inconvenient for staff and for honest buyers, as a Home Depot spokesman details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5bmz-Hc0g&ab_channel=ABCNews

I know.  A bit off topic.  But sad times.

-

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

A lot of large retailers are closing,   mostly in minority areas.     They made promises to communities about shopping availability,  job and wage growth in exchange for tax cuts.

These stores did not make a profit and as the tax breaks are phasing out,   many are loosing money.    Shoplifting is just the excuse they give to shut down poor performing stores.

Many down town shopping areas in major cities are closing doors as they can't get back to precovid numbers.     There are fewer and fewer people coming into the city to do some shopping.    Luxury brands,   like Tiffaney are finding out that the younger generations are just not into designer goods.

Most of the shoplifting numbers that retailers use to justify closing down stores include on line theft.    According to Amazon,  on line theft will overtake BM shoplifting this year.    After all,   you don't have to leave home to do it.

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

It IS truly regrettable that being scammed has to be part of your business model, just like shoplifters are part of the equation when a B&M store prices it's wares.  

I appreciate what you've written here, because it is truly regrettable the fraud/thievery problem - Though it is completely unlike B&M stores where you can institute different things to thwart shoplifters: Tags, Store Detectives, Cameras, etc. Just the threat of physically being arrested keeps thievery down - A store could likely halt nearly all shoplifting(especially for high dollar items: cased, guarded, etc) if they added the infrastructure and manpower needed to do so, though it would also likely not be cost effective to stop it all, so a certain amount is acceptable as a cost of doing business.

This is completely unlike ebay where a person who "comes to your store" can virtually steal anything they want with impunity and then turn around and go to the next ebay store and do the same thing without worry -  By my experience with fraud here, even widely reported scammers can continue on their merry way because  buyers are coveted - I've seen many  posts from people with similar experience also...

If you had your own B&M store, you wouldn't need to say things like EVERYBODY here does(even the apologists) like, "Don't sell anything you can't afford to lose"  - Heck, if you think about it in a whimsical way, no one in the world would have a cell phone if they could only buy them on ebay, because no one would be willing to sell them due to the fraud risk - Good thing there are B&M's huh?

Brick and mortar have assets on hand to prevent stealing, they do due to stealing and they still get stolen from.  Walmart has everything you mentioned in place and reports they loose 3 billion dollars a year due to theft.  That's no small number in comparison to my bank account.

NAD's nothing new, ever had a merchant account?  I have and I could tell you of events that'd curl you're sox and no matter what the consumer statement to their card company it INSTANTLY cost me $75 bucks.  That's $25 to our provider, $25 to the aggregate processor and $25 to our bank.  Every response to the consumer claim, $25 more.  So for an item charged for $1 cost $100 basically right off the bat.

I'm not defending eBay but simply stating facts.  eBay is NOT the authorities.  I recall being passed stolen credit cards for four days in a row with hundreds of dollars of goods purchased.  Cards processed fine, no problem... Became suspect to a perpetual fraud and contacted Visa, Mastercard, merchant provider, aggregate processor, bank and not a single one of them CARE LESS.

"Anticipate stolen cards passed?  Call the cops and reverse the charges before hit with charge backs costing $75-$100 for each transaction before a word is even said or written."

Thats reality.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@erzengelb wrote:

Agree with OP. And the number of sellers white knighting for eBay here is sickening. When it finally happens to you, your tune will quickly change. I'm only sorry I won't be around to say, "I told you so."

People need understand what "Venue" means. Facebook Marketplace is a venue, anyone who's tried buy there in any significance has people asking to send them money via Venmo and others amongst literal hordes of other scams.  Does anyone see Facebook removing people's social media accounts?  Uh uh.  Breaches of law are matters for law enforcement who THEN inform the venue to act accordingly.  If someone attempts to steal you're prized Lionel Train Engine at the flea market whether they were or were not do you expect the proprietors of said flea market to ban the customer?  Hold him/her in chains?  No, it's a matter for police, that's the way things work and police work on facts not suppositions.

Thanks for posting, though I am fairly sure most people are aware ebay is a venue and they operate within those parameters  - In my opinion, where the site can mitigate fraud is by being more selective with regard to who they allow to create accounts and how well they back up the protections they state they do have - Surely, with all the technology including tracking, data acquisition, AI, etc, etc, there is something that can be done to stop a great deal of online fraud, or make simple inferences on a case where a 0 feedback buyer scams a 10 year, perfect reputation seller for a $2000 item.  I have dealt with fraudsters who seem to operate without worry here, even though I know they have been reported numerous times, yet there they are, doing what they do months or maybe even years later - maybe even until they tire of it and move on to something else...

I see people posting that Chargebacks are nearly an unwinnable situation here...When I was dealing with PayPal, I had three attempted chargebacks and Paypal settled each one without me needing to lift a finger or lose a dime - If you need the money processor involved to win a case, why arent these cases deferred to Ayden to handle?

Anyway...

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Walmart lost 3 Billion to Theft,  not shoplifting    Employee theft still outpaces shoplifting.

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

... If you had your own B&M store, you wouldn't need to say things like EVERYBODY here does (even the apologists)  like, "Don't sell anything you can't afford to lose"  ...

Actually, a lot of retailers, family-owned and big chain, are closing because they can no longer afford the losses to theft and robbery. 

The others are putting much of their inventory under lock-and-key, which is incredibly inconvenient for staff and for honest buyers, as a Home Depot spokesman details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5bmz-Hc0g&ab_channel=ABCNews

I know.  A bit off topic.  But sad times.

-

Oh yes it's sad, nothing new.  I was part owner in a game store where it was a constant issue.  Video games gone, Pokemon' cards even cases gone, Magic the Gathering cards/cases gone and mind you... These are TOYS!  Right!?

I know the answer!  Implement Sharia Law!  Oh but my oh my does that come with a literal plethora of morality matters and then some LOL.  I suppose it wouldn't go over too well when like 75% of the adults in the land are in some barbed wire barracks someplace...  Jokingly of course, we wouldn't want anyone take said statement seriously as these days, welp... Never know.

Changing card holders rights be one place to start and putting sellers to the mat who actually do perpetuate fraud be another.  Yet of course such things sound sensible until it's the seller who get's had by the place that sold them a hooey automobile repair costing them another $2500 to get right versus consumer rights.

Stuff's been going on since human beginnings when Ogg took a shine to Ugg's lady yet Ugg's lady refused to leave with Ogg until he stole the 600 thread count Egyptian bed sheets.

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

I had someone shoplift 5 packages of rotary cutter blades.    My customers are not young.       

Part of the cost of doing business.

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

@gnracin72 

You are a new seller peddling high scam merchandise.  Not a great recipe. Scam magnet.

Even with my 23-year-old account, TRS with Free Returns and scammers avoid my account, I would be leary of listing that watch. That would be just begging for it. A stupid scammer might try. 

I sell quite a bit and average almost $200 per sale but the items I sell are not what the scammers are after so I rarely ever have one that tries.

One of the many reasons why long time experienced sellers don't see what you see happening.

I find eBay sales easy to navigate. When I have an issue, the eBay cheerleaders here assist in walking me thru it. It really ain't that hard but a seller does have to know the rules and how to navigate the pitfalls here and any other online venue that processes payments. 

Posting ID
Message 25 of 42
latest reply

So I just replied to you and outlined everything that happened I also put where it shows on the second they went in and made the claim it was closed everything was done by the 2nd of June before I even got a chance to say anything I also put in the email that I had sent them with invoice along with the results where it says the buyer Requested a return and made a claim it showed ebay closed the claim because buyer "changed my mind" and wanted to refund along with the statement that I could not appeal it I cannot cancel it I cannot challenge it and they favored on the side of the buyer however ebay took that Reply and called it spam and pulled it before it even got posted because it outlined everything that happened  and showed everything that I did exactly what happened and what didn't happen but unfortunately they're not going to let me post..... that imagine that.. The true nature of the story is the reason I didn't get back to them sooner is because I was burying my mother on that Saturday so leading up to that point I was preparing all the arrangements the only reason I was selling this watch and other jewelry coin collection and my motorcycles which I've sold was to gather more money so my mother would go to a private paid nursing facility where she would be taking care of unfortunately I ran a lot of time so the watch and the other items I guess they just didn't mean that to me no more that's why I sold it for $280 when it a $2300 watch Because there was no value to me anymore because my mother was gone, and I couldn't do anything but to come in on Sunday and get hit with the whirlwind from eBay and this guy I think it just made me realize I'm probably in the wrong Avatar because Scamming people or stealing from people or being dishonest in any way it's just not for me. I still make a deal with farmers handshake I still believe in it just not on ebay but I appreciate all the people who commented whether good or bad their opinions all mattered and I thank you for that.

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

@whatmorefabric wrote:

Walmart lost 3 Billion to Theft,  not shoplifting    Employee theft still outpaces shoplifting.

Perhaps employee theft is high, so is consumer theft.  I read just last week President of the NRF speaking towards retail apparently organized theft, up in 100 billion range.  No, that's not employee's.

As I said in prior post I was part owner in a game store that folded in or about 2008, there was no employee theft, not a single item.  Pretty much everyday no matter how hard we try prevent it theft happen.  We even went to the extent of posting a sign, "Nobody under the age of 18 w/o a parent" only to have police arrive telling us we can't do that.  For people who trade in games or systems, yep, receive stolen stuff, cops take the haul we not recover a red cent.  When we tried implement requiring a legal ID on file, nope, against the law, we're not a pawn shop.

Ok thing's to understand...  On one side of the equation there are sellers who get taken say here on eBay, scammed.  There are also buyers same thing, Internet consumer fraud reports to the FTC in 2022 were about 8.8 Billion dollars, FBI says 10 Billion... Likely that number is WAY LOW as more go unreported than reported.  Now that's not just hard goods, its "The Internet Consumer Fraud."  In the UK, 60 million people, about 3 million complaints and again, likely 2-3 times that actually occur.

There is no simple solution to either portions, thats reality, thats truth and the numbers are going up.

I can tell you the governments answer as not factored into that annual report is the costing of governmental and local resources.  We'd a pawn shop here where I live recently hit whereby the owner was gifting addicts money for drugs whilst they stole from retail such as Home Depot.  I'm sure those consumers who got great deals on said stuff right here on eBay happy as flowers on a summer day.  That's a reality.

Governments, authorities, manufacturer's, retailers and then some solution is to regulate eCommerce moving third party venues gone.  They already attempted a moon shot called The Shop Safe Act which had it come to be sought even to fine venues where trademarked terms were found, "Onsies" is Trademarked Term as is Nike, Ford, Mattel and countless other names, words and phrases.  Lawfirms deemed it the end of third party ecommerce, game over short of Amazon who'd be the BIG winner.  Why?  They are THE Internet retailer and already have countless arrangements with said entities and warehousing, checking and delivery abilities.  One puppet, problem gets mitigated in big fashion, global solution, case closed.

Reality is that legislation was a moon shot and as with all moon shot legislation the target is never the moon but somewhere's above the horizon.  Expect it.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

"others are putting much of their inventory under lock-and-key"

"Actually", this is something I mentioned in the post you replied to, but you took a line out of context to make a point that does not effectually counter the MAIN point of my post(why do people do this so often here? - I dont see this much on other interest communities)

The MAIN point of my post was that with B&Ms, AT LEAST you have the opportunity to implement what you will to combat fraud(expense aside) - At least you can take whatever steps you deem necessary -  On this site? In my opinion, you are at the mercy of an unsympathetic corporate entity that does little to show they are aware of the problem, when I believe they can do so much more - They have even axed most protections they at one time had, leaving their sellers out to dry on so many situations. This is why I protest the MBG by not listing...

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

I would have to agree with you but I put up a lot of things jewelry, us coins, And all three of my beloved motorcycles because I needed the money for a private pay nursing facility for my mom however she didn't make  and passed away, then when i see the messages and replay this guy was beating on my head with eBay For not replying promptly even though I sent him an invoice in the congratulations email upon winning but I was burying my mother, As Friday was the wake and  Saturday Burial that's why I didn't get right back to him until Sunday but by then they had already had their game plan and did what they did but the reason I sold the watch for 280 and not the 2300 it was worth is because it had no value to me anymore see it lose my mom all the stuff in the world wouldn't  bring it back I ran outta time.....

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

It IS truly regrettable that being scammed has to be part of your business model, just like shoplifters are part of the equation when a B&M store prices it's wares.  

I'm not defending eBay but simply stating facts.  eBay is NOT the authorities.  I recall being passed stolen credit cards for four days in a row with hundreds of dollars of goods purchased.  Cards processed fine, no problem... Became suspect to a perpetual fraud and contacted Visa, Mastercard, merchant provider, aggregate processor, bank and not a single one of them CARE LESS.

"Anticipate stolen cards passed?  Call the cops and reverse the charges before hit with charge backs costing $75-$100 for each transaction before a word is even said or written."

Thats reality.

I was part owner of a comic book store for 10 years - I can count the stolen credit card situations we had on one hand...

Message 30 of 42
latest reply