cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are testing a reduced set of item specifics in the listing flow

We’ve heard from our sellers that item specifics is one of the most complex parts of our listing experience. 

As a part of simplifying the listing flow, we are testing a reduced set of item specifics, optimized for the selling and buying experience. As a result, in select categories, some sellers may see fewer item specifics to fill out when creating a new listing on web or mobile. We’re actively monitoring performance and taking seller feedback into consideration.    

We’re constantly evaluating how to make listing on eBay easier and will keep you informed about any site-wide listing changes. Feel free to leave feedback in a comment below or via our survey during the listing process.  

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

Update as of 10/16/23:

Thank you to all sellers who shared their feedback. We have listened to your concerns and ended the test. We will continue to work on improving item specifics and keep the community informed of any site-wide changes.

The full list of item specifics will automatically reflect on your account for future listings. If you wish to add more item specifics to your previously published listings, the full list of item specifics is available when you revise your listing.

Message 1 of 216
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: We are testing a reduced set of item specifics in the listing flow

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We have listened to your concerns and ended the test. We will continue to work on improving item specifics and keep the community informed of any site-wide changes.

The full list of item specifics will automatically reflect on your account for future listings. If you wish to add more item specifics to your previously published listings, the full list of item specifics is available when you revise your listing.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 164 of 216
latest reply
215 REPLIES 215

Can't say how strongly I disagree with this! As demonstrated here (link) and in a dozen other discussions this is creating problems for sellers and increasing their time and effort to list twofold.

Why can eBay not hide the extra item specifics behind the "see more" link instead of removing them from the listing form entirely?

Did nobody stop and really think about the impact or a better option?

Man, this really makes me angry. eBay has gone about this in a terrible way.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 216
latest reply

How about just let the title speak for the item and let search results be by eBay? Sellers know how to get the most out of titles and buyers know what they are looking for.

Oh, wait, if things were that simple eBay wouldn't need to hire so many people to make, adjust and repair the convoluted mess that exists.

Message 3 of 216
latest reply

I've noticed this in my categories. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but it does result in faster listing time. I have all the specifics in any case.

Message 4 of 216
latest reply

Any chance you can reveal which are the "select categories?"

Message 5 of 216
latest reply

selling_team@ebay 

Which categories will be tested? Can you expand? I know there are many flaws in the jewelry category.  Look forward to some improvements.  Thanks for your post & the heads up. 

Message 6 of 216
latest reply

@sumsum70 wrote:

How about just let the title speak for the item and let search results be unmolested by eBay? Sellers know how to get the most out of titles and buyers know what they are looking for.

Oh, wait, if things were that simple eBay wouldn't need to hire so many people to make, adjust and repair the convoluted mess that exists.

@sumsum70:

I totally agree. eBay has a tendency to micromanage listings to the point of confusion. Common sense should have been used years ago to avoid the confusion and unnecessary waste of time associated with a long list of Item Specifics, many of which have little or nothing to do with the important basics of the item itself that buyers search for.

Ebay is not alone in this. Amazon also has their own ridiculous and unnecessary specifics when starting a new listing. What does "batteries needed" have to do with items that don't use them? I stopped selling on Amazon earlier this year.

At least eBay is starting to wise up to the overkill that has only bogged down sellers and wasted a lot of sellers' time and energy - not to mention screwed-up search results for buyers.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 7 of 216
latest reply

Could you explain why this is happening? when i list a new item in the antique map category it only gives me the option of filling out 6 item specifics. when i list that item it goes right into the list of "items needing item specifics" when i edit the listing all the other missing specifics then show up. There have been quite a few threads on this recently but ebay doesnt seem to be addressing it. if you are in fact getting rid of certain specifics then why do the listings keep going into the  fill in the "recommended item specifics" alert. 

Message 8 of 216
latest reply

IMO reducing the item specifics is a bad thing.

So long as the number which is mandatory is minimized and adequate for the category, let the sellers choose which specifics are relevant to their product.

There may be exceptions to this rule for mass market consumables but the collectible products need flexibility, and occasional sellers need reminders.

Message 9 of 216
latest reply

Great! I knew there is something going on as the sales started plunging down. How long the testing will continue?

Message 10 of 216
latest reply

I hope they eliminate the notification on my seller hub the 1070 item specifics listed as a task I should complete.  

Message 11 of 216
latest reply

How about just let the title speak for the item and let search results be by UNTAMPERED eBay? Sellers know how to get the most out of titles and buyers know what they are looking for.

Message 12 of 216
latest reply

I'm tired of these minute detail item specifics... it feels like when I get done updating listings, I just have to update all over again in a month or so... they always seem to change.

When I look for an item, I feel sellers don't always accurately fill them out.  GENERAL item specifics are good

Message 13 of 216
latest reply

Just to clarify for the double post - the original reply was not meant to say "let the search results be by eBay". Someone felt the need to change it, but that change is the opposite of what I wanted to say.  The last thing anyone needs is the search results to be "by eBay". If that were the case, buyers would only see irrelevant high-priced sponsored items and "eBay Refurbished" all over page 1. 

Let the search results be organic.

Message 14 of 216
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

IMO reducing the item specifics is a bad thing.

There are several categories where IS can be reduced. I am not against reducing IS if what's taken away truly isn't needed. There are several IS that don't make sense and/or aren't needed. But ...

- Removing IS that are important and relevant?

- Making the change without letting sellers know what's going on - not even a pinned post on this forum until dozens of sellers started complaining?

- Making a change that creates extra work?

- Not considering hiding instead of removing IS, forcing sellers to revise listings to add the info instead of giving sellers the option of expanding the section upfront and adding what they need, leaving the rest?

- Messing with templates, too?

- Not offering sellers the option to add IS upfront, then later sticking the listing in "missing recommended IS" for those same missing specifics?

It seems like people that don't list and sell regularly are deciding these changes. They either aren't considering the impact outside of their initial goal, or they have no way to know what that impact is because they're not actively using the tools they're changing.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 216
latest reply