cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AI For Description

Wow! I JUST USED EBAY’S NEW AI program to do a description for me and it was right on target. Just excellent!!!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Using AI For Description

Good for you. 

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

There are many sellers who can benefit from using the AI feature, some more than others.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

Good to hear.........what category were you listing in.....and what kind of product....if you want to share......

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

Can someone take  a minute and outline HOW to do an AI description?

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

@clown_car_driver 

For starters, I believe it is only available in the app (currently).

Do you use the app to list?

If so, do everything else first: title, photos, item specifics, etc. Then go to description. Simply click "New! List faster with AI"  The description window will open and I think you might have to click "Use AI Description"...this will compose the description....no typing required by you. 

My advice: you will then want to edit the description unless it is perfect the way it is. I have seen sellers who did not edit the descriptions and they contain errors etc. the seller is still responsible for the description, so you must make sure it is satisfactory.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

@clown_car_driver  here's a very short video showing it:

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

Personally, I think the AI descriptions are hilarious. 

I sell records and it will say some out-of-pocket stuff.

”Hear the majestic sounds of the world-renowned artist, ‘Cleveland Community Church Choir,’ a must own release for lovers of the gospel genre of music.” It’s just a bit too enthusiastic sometimes.

It can even get you in trouble lol. I’ve had the AI say that certain songs were on the record that were not actually on the record.

It’s somewhat helpful I guess? It always reads like a car salesman or a greeting card writer. 

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

It is certainly available on the website, I only use the website for listing. I tried a description and could not stop laughing. I'll stick to my descriptions and leave the AI for others.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

I tried it and I think I'll just stick to writing my own descriptions - there's a mechanical sameness to the AI descriptions. It would be a major help for the lazy who simply repeat the title in the description, though.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

I think they read like greeting cards. I can always pick out ai descriptions.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I tried it and I think I'll just stick to writing my own descriptions - there's a mechanical sameness to the AI descriptions. It would be a major help for the lazy who simply repeat the title in the description, though.

I think that's who it was meant for, honestly. The sellers who already write their own detailed descriptions will continue writing their own detailed descriptions. This is meant for the sellers who are too lazy to do anything beyond "Condition is used."

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

@az93 wrote:

I think they read like greeting cards. I can always pick out AI descriptions.

They do seem to have an abnormal fascination for the phrase "must-have" and its assorted variants.

AI descriptions are also given away by their generally perfect spelling and punctuation. You can see where the buyer has occasionally added their own wording: when the quality of the grammar suddenly deteriorates from A to C-. 🙄

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

Sold a book today about AI.

I wrote the description with NI.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Using AI For Description

I edited a listing in the Quick Lister yesterday and it offered an AI version of the description.

My test listing had a non-title and four lines of junk (placeholder text) , whereas the AI generated something more palatable from the item specifics. 

Below, I have condensed the listing form fields to show what the AI used to generate text. I had it regenerating three different descriptions to see what it would change.

The "up for sale" lead-in tells me that eBay has fed eBay listings into their ChatGPT vocabulary database, since that is not ChatGPT's normal fluff.

Quick Lister - AI generated descriptionQuick Lister - AI generated description

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 15 of 46
latest reply