cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected charge in Managed Payments

I’m new to MP and wasn’t thrilled about it or using Seller Hub. But I have adjusted and it’s fine. But I discovered an unexpected charge on a domestic sale. A buyer made an offer on an item I have had listed a long time.

I was good with the price but noticed the buyer was listed in a foreign country. I questioned them about that.  The buyer said he had a U.S. address and that’s where I sent the item. I didn’t do the offer process back and forth. I just changed the listing price to the offer price and let him know.

But the account is registered in a foreign country and I was charged a 1.65% International fee. It’s not a huge deal to me dollar wise in this case. But I won’t accept offers anymore from foreign registered accounts. I wondered why the buyer was able to buy from me anyway since they are registered in a country I don’t ship to. 

Is there a setting or option in Seller Hub I have missed? Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

They were able to buy from you because they had a US address for shipping.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

That is the same fee that PP has been charging here on ebay since PP took over payments. It just wasn't on a line item that stuck out like a sore thumb. 

International buyers use Freight Forwarders, or Aunt Suzie to ship to in the US, but the transaction is a 'foreign' transaction' and will be charged the additional fee. 

Probably still worth it in the long run depending on $ amount of sale 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yes sorry.

It was pointed out on the board that an international fee will be charged based on the buyers address even if they ship to a US address..

Seems very unfair to me.. Sorry.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I wondered why the buyer was able to buy from me anyway since they are registered in a country I don’t ship to.

The eBay block is for shipping addresses, not buyer locations. So you answered your own question - because you didn't ship to his country.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

EBay even charges the extra 1.65% for buyers in Puerto Rico, which, unless Denmark bought it 😆, is a part of the United States, whose residents are US citizens, and for which payments are in US dollars.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I appreciate all of your responses. It’s not a huge deal and I’m not upset. I was actually glad to make the sale and, yes, it’s worth it. This is just my learning curve I suppose after avoiding Seller Hub for so long. Thank you all!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

"...the buyer was listed in a foreign country..."

In about 20 years of selling on eBay, every single time a buyer was from a foreign country but wanted an item to be shipped to the USA they would up claiming they never received the item and forced a refund.

Maybe you will have better luck.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@oleander1993 wrote:

I’m new to MP and wasn’t thrilled about it or using Seller Hub. But I have adjusted and it’s fine.

You don't know how refreshing it was to read your opening line.  I wish more of the whiners were like you.  You mean it didn't kill you?    😉    Good luck and stay safe. 

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It used to be a common practice for Canadians who lived in Vacouver to have a address verified mailbox in places like Blaine, Washington. It allowed US  sellers to ship heavy UPS items. It also let them avoid customs processing...... It is not always a scam.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Lagarto - If you shipped to the address you were given by eBay and you had tracking that showed delivery the buyer should not have been able to get a refund.  There is something you are not telling us, or else something you are not doing correctly about handling the claim process.

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply