cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible glitch with eBay's Local Pickup?

Good day,

I live in a college town, so i  am experimenting and adding the Allow Local Pickup" option on all of my listings.

Now, I was under the impression that "Local Pickup" was merely an option for potential buyers to pick up heavier items locally?

Yet, because i wanted to give my buyers the option to pick up their item locally regardless of the weight, I make it available for each of my listings.

The problem I am having is, I have had two buyers bid, win and pay for their items, but for some reason, it's classified as local pickup, when one buyer was in Michigan and the other was actually in Puerto Rico, yet I live in North Florida?

Has anyone else experienced this?

How is it that people not in my local area are allowed to buy under "local pickup?"

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's because some people will travel to pick up a large item.

If I bought an expensive desk, I might rent a Uhaul and go get it..

Perhaps your buyers are inexperienced & selecting the wrong shipping choice?

Perhaps they're trying to avoid paying shipping? 

I'm not sure that you can block local pick-up for those outside your area.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

So they paid and were not charged shipping, right? I think you had better remove the Local Pickup from you auctions otherwise eBay will never charge buyers for shipping.   Looking at your sold items, I see several with free shipping and free local pickup. If those are the ones, I don't see a problem with out of state buyers. I don't see any with Local Pickup Only.

Anyone can buy a local pickup item, so long as they meet any other restrictions you have. 

It should bill them for the appropriate shipping if you have that info in the listing.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply