cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding returns using eBay International Shipping

I apologize if this question has been answered, but I couldn't see an easy way to browse for it.

If I understand the explanation, with eBay International Shipping, the seller is no longer on the hook for elective returns, is that correct?  That is, can I offer elective domestic returns without that also extending to international?  What about for-cause returns?

If not, is there a way to turn off eBay International Shipping for individual listings, not just for the program as a whole?  I could not see a way to specify domestic-only shipping for a listing I was just composing.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Understanding returns using eBay International Shipping

I read that before, and still have the questions I posted, which it doesn't answer unambiguously.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@spoolin01 wrote:

I apologize if this question has been answered, but I couldn't see an easy way to browse for it.

If I understand the explanation, with eBay International Shipping, the seller is no longer on the hook for elective returns, is that correct? 

Correct.  Sellers are not required to refund for any international returns if they are using eBay International Shipping.  

That is, can I offer elective domestic returns without that also extending to international?  What about for-cause returns?

Yes, you have always been able to offer domestic returns but have a no return policy for international.   Not as described returns go through ebay's MBG policy so that isn't anything that you can set up on the listing page.  If you use the EIS program, then ebay does arrange for all returns to be sent back to them and they then  refund  the buyer. They do that whether the return is a buyers remorse 'elective' returns or a MBG "for cause" returns. 

If not, is there a way to turn off eBay International Shipping for individual listings, not just for the program as a whole?  I could not see a way to specify domestic-only shipping for a listing I was just composing.

I'm not certain but I think that the only way to specify no international shipping on a specific listing if you are using EIS is to use your exclude country blocks for that listing.

If you want to opt out of ebay international shipping altogether, you can do that on your preferences page.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification.  I've generally had good luck with international sales, aside from a couple of possible con jobs, but now and then I just don't want to take the risk.  Guess I'll opt out entirely.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Reread the terms and tried to edit prior post.  It says I'd be absolved of MBG claims too but that seems like an odd risk for eBay to take on.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@spoolin01 wrote:

Reread the terms and tried to edit prior post.  It says I'd be absolved of MBG claims too but that seems like an odd risk for eBay to take on.

That's it..............after you get the item to the US terminal.........no risk for you.........it's unambiguous to me. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Don't opt out. It's risk free. If the buyer wants to return an item, ebay will take care of it.  Ebay refunds.  From what I read, ebay might get the item back to resell or they just might tell the buyer to toss. You are paid in full.  You do have to be cautious because some items do not qualify like an item with a battery .  But if you get paid, the money is yours.  No risk to you.  Stay in the program. I had 4 sales and that was almost $200.oo in the 2 months.  All of the buyers were very happy.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

We usually get quite a few buyers from Canada and the UK on a regular basis, but since this EIS went into the system they stopped. I think the price is too high for customers, am I wrong? It just looks like its much more than ebay standard intl ever was, and ebay standard they always seemed happy with. If it is higher its driving away those international buyers.  I cant tell for sure I have only done some estimates for the UK, but other countries are outrageously high under EIS. So were torn on staying enrolled or not but so far it sure isn't helping business. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Yes, one of the buyers in Canada said it was much more expensive and it took longer.  HIs order took almost a month to arrive after it got to Illinois.  He was very happy because I combined 8 listings into one for him so it was cheaper than buying the item individually.   I can imagine it being more money since Ebay has to pay for the expenses at that hub in Illinois and then ebay is guaranteeing all sellers that they will keep their money regardless of what the buyer states.

I do hope that the program works.   I had stopped shipping internationally years ago.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I had heard about the expense concern some time ago.  I think it will work better for me to opt out but to keep deciding case by case which listings to offer internationally.  That's worked pretty well in the past.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@spoolin01 wrote:

I had heard about the expense concern some time ago.  I think it will work better for me to opt out but to keep deciding case by case which listings to offer internationally.  That's worked pretty well in the past.

I think it comes down to what is being sold, or to be more precise the weights involved when it comes to the shipping.  

Where it sits with a seller not in EIS, as another poster has pointed out on some threads, 1st Class International can be used if shipping (up to 4 lb.) directly to the customer. Once in EIS, when the item exceeds 15.99 ounces the cost, just for the domestic leg of the shipment, jumps up out of 1st Class.(possible increase cost buyer/seller) Next thing is, as far as I know, the shipping from the hub with EIS is Priority International, so again the buyer gets banged with a more costly shipping service.

If eBay eventually goes to a "listing by listing" choice for EIS, then the lighter weight items could be left out of the program at the sellers choosing for direct international selling.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

too late to edit/add:

Time will tell if the "listing by listing" happens. eBay thought may be, "everything possible", going into the EIS, thereby offering things to many more international buyers will increase sales, and eBay's bottom line, but that may prove faulty as sales drop because of the increased shipping costs presented to the buyers.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Weight is a big part of it, though with the current $20 or so minimum, any international package involves considerable loss if returned.  Most of what I have left to sell these days is low cost.  Expensive items also are more likely to interest a fraudster.  As well, certain categories seem more plagued by low integrity buyers.  Restricting international sales to those countries offering to-the-door tracking cut back significantly on problems, when I was getting more international sales 10 years ago.  Most of my listings still offer international, but I expect the shipping cost keeps the likelihood of that sale pretty low.

Now that I understand the program better, I'd probably be in it if I did a lot of international sales and those sales made a difference overall in sales volume.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

so if we opt out of EIS, what do all the listings revert to in terms of intl shipping options? I'm getting nowhere with ebay support on this but figured you all would know for sure. We pretty much had everything set up under ebay standard intl, but now that its all automatically EIS, it we opt out what happens? 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply