cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievable Refund!

In all the years of selling I thought I have seen it all. But after this past weekend I just shake my head. I sold a CD  (5 oz) to a buyer and I always ship First Class now Ground Advantage instead of Media Mail. The buyer was upset because I overcharged for this service by 25 cents. Yes 25 CENTS!!! And they wanted a refund for it. They actually said however if I needed the money that badly they would let me have it. I tried refunding the quarter but the system wouldn't allow it so I gave them a dollar back as that was the smallest amount the system would take.  I have dealt with a lot after 8 thousand sales but sometimes you just wonder. I will just move on and wait for the next crazy buyer to top this. By the way I gave refund so I would not get bad feedback. Buyer now on BBL. Thank you for reading!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Unbelievable Refund!

It’s called shipping and handling-no refund needed-they agreed to the cost when purchased

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

3.99 is too cheap

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Honestly... it doesn't surprise me. I've seen some really outrageous stuff on here. 

It's actually smart NOT to use media mail during holiday season... for me, around holidays, media mail tends to  gets lost or be pushed to the back of the pile. I'm dealing with 2 lost media mail  shipments now! 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Not for the majority of the products I ship from here. But yet they still leave less than 5 stars for it!!

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

No I have my label printing set at not showing postage paid on the label.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

I have my label printing set at not showing postage paid on the label.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@gooseislandcollectibles wrote:

I have my label printing set at not showing postage paid on the label.

@gooseislandcollectibles 

So how did the buyer arrive at this ridiculous accusation anyway? 🤔

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

My listing says $4.75 for shipping Ground Advantage. I invoiced him for that amount but he says shipping should only be about $4.50 based on his zip code from my zip code. Like all of us wanting every little sale I wasn't expecting any issue until after he received the invoice and complained.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@gooseislandcollectibles wrote:

My listing says $4.75 for shipping Ground Advantage. I invoiced him for that amount but he says shipping should only be about $4.50 based on his zip code from my zip code. Like all of us wanting every little sale I wasn't expecting any issue until after he received the invoice and complained.

@gooseislandcollectibles 

Gotcha. Your buyer saw your s&h on the listing and was fine with it then, so... Note to self: No longer invoice. 🤣

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

I'm curious on this and the OP comments on not using Media Mail.  Genuinly curious....is the thought that the postal worker actually sees that something is media mail and kicks it to the side?  I've got buyers that sometimes ask to not use Media Mail to avoid damage...again, is the thought that the postal worker sees that its Media Mail and treats the package differently/worse?  Maybe I can understand if it's a heavy box, but sending 1 or a handful of CDs I don't see any difference in using Media Mail vs any other service.  That's my experience anyway..knock on wood.

As to the .25 refund...yeah, I'd let them know that it took you a computer, label machine, time, gas, etc to get that package to the.....25cents seems like a bargain.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I sell primarily media(records, tapes, CDs. etc). I use media for 1 pound or more and in all my years only lost maybe 2 items. In fact I am in Pennsylvania and have had records reach San Diego in just three days using media. Most of my media items are received in less than 5 days. But for small items like CD's or even a 45 rpm record I ship First Class. I never have issues with media mail. Just a personal preference to ship First Class(Ground Advatage) for small items like Cd's.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Why not just be upfront and respond back with

Hello- the PRICE of 'shipping' is MUCH MORE than just the COST of a Label. 

eBay charges me 15% on the Shipping Amount plus add in the costs of the box/envelope, bubble wrap/packing supplies, paper & ink not to mention the 'sale price' of an item does NOT cover the labor to 'pack up & label'

Therefore, We charge a 'bit' over the PRICE of a label to simply BREAK EVEN on Shipping.

I made $0 on this. 

Thanks

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Genuinly curious....is the thought that the postal worker actually sees that something is media mail and kicks it to the side?  I've got buyers that sometimes ask to not use Media Mail to avoid damage...again, is the thought that the postal worker sees that its Media Mail and treats the package differently/worse? 

@electricrecords6 

My understanding is that the postal worker is within his/her rights to (at least) inspect the contents.

Since that requires (at least) a partial repackaging, I'd say "kicks it to the side" might be a reasonable assessment. After that, the job of forwarding to the buyer (if okay'd) or returning it to the seller (if it didn't qualify) would be SOP.

To your second point, while I think that MM could be treated "differently", I don't think it would necessarily be "worse". The 'repackaging' is the only thing I'd be worried about, regarding the integrity of the delivered item.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel any better I have a 4.9 for my shipping feedback. I mostly charge $3.99 for ground shipping with the USPS and quite often it just about covers shipping and sometimes it doesn't by 50 cents or so. I see what my competitors charge and frankly I don't think I'm overcharging on it. At all. 

I have a 4.9 also, and I only charge what I pay - even the discount. 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply