cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS refusal to scan in items

Who has the issue with their local post office refusing to scan in items and making you drop them in a box? I have tried multiple times to have the clerk scan in my items and they get snippy and state that because "we" (USPS) give you (eBay sellers) discount shipping you need to drop off without scanning in. Mind you, they have no idea who I am, what I do, or what type of pricing I pay. I am trying to find the policy within the USPS that corroborates this and haven't found anything. This issue has led to multiple items being considered late shipment and I am just about fed up with having to defend myself for something that shouldn't even be an issue. If I didn't print my label and used the QR code... they would have no choice but to accept the package, thus I am being penalized for making their job easier. Someone shed some light on this without telling me to use the QR code. 

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Is there another post office near by? 

Message 2 of 81
latest reply

I suggest you speak to the Post Master regarding your issue. 

Message 3 of 81
latest reply

@bluekrystal1987   ask to speak to a supervisor

tell them u need the receipt showing the acceptance scan

the USPS clerks HAVE to scan in prepaid shipping label packages as 'accepted' and give u a receipt if requested

Message 4 of 81
latest reply

Clerk is wrong.........ask to speak to the postmaster and if that doesn't work, go to the USPS online site and make a report of the PO...........that REALLY gets their attention.

Message 5 of 81
latest reply

Highly recommend you call the 800 number for the USPS. You will have to go through a lot of prompts, but you will get a person. Then explain what the problem it, and file a complaint. They will give you a case number. Tell them you want to be contacted by phone. Keep that case number, and your post office will have to respond to you. Trust me..sometimes you have to push the envelope with them. It does work. If they continue to not take care of the problem, just call back and open another case. 

they will get the message. 

Message 6 of 81
latest reply

My local PO says the same thing, so on the rare occasion that I go to the PO, I go to a different one.  My PO gives some excuse of 'not getting credit for it'.  Isn't the USPS one team--who is the 'we'?  I ship a package and the USPS as a whole gets credit.

This attitude made me buy a really big mailbox and now I just put everything in there and my carrier scans. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 81
latest reply

Shouldn't the employees at the OP's post office be doing their jobs, so that it's not necessary to go to another location? 

Message 8 of 81
latest reply

I have been dropping off packages in the drop boxes forever and never had a problem.  With the one small post office I use without a drop box I just leave the packages on the counter and again never had a problem.  I can understand when an USPS employee gets frustrated when they are busy and an Ebay seller is unwilling to just use the drop box like everyone else who has a pre-printed label.

Message 9 of 81
latest reply

"Mind you, they have no idea who I am, what I do, or what type of pricing I pay."

They know exactly the price you paid even if you don't include it on the label.  

Message 10 of 81
latest reply

Might consider going at an earlier time or later time to avoid that clerk or as one suggested going to another USPS location if possible.

Sounds like they are very lazy. Canning packages and giving a receipt has to be easiest process / service a clerk can perform.

I always get a receipt. Getting that receipt will show the package is now in USPS possession. I have that kind of luck that if I didn't, the packages would never get scanned until delivered and until then, I would probably get complaints from the buyer and possible open cases.  

If you have the time and a little extra money, maybe remind the clerk some day of the old days when we sellers would take several packages in and the clerk had to weigh, give option shipping costs, and print the labels for each one.  

Message 11 of 81
latest reply

Maybe the next time you are at the post office, why not use your phone to document (video your transaction)? As long as you are in the public lobby or publicly accessible areas, you can do that. Sometimes video can change how people act. Asking to speak with your local postmaster is also a good route as others suggested.

-Good Luck

Message 12 of 81
latest reply

It generally slows down the service of customers buying stamps, money orders, sending packages that need to be weigh and such by customers.

People drop off packages on the counter of my post office all the time.

If an eBay shipping label of weight and size is incorrect and gets scanned in...who faults is that and who pays for the mistake? I guess the customer gets an additional cost sent to them or getting package scanned means it got accepted at that price of shipping?

My understanding is when I get a postmark on my certified or registered, etc. package it is considered accepted and will not incur an additional charge.

Message 13 of 81
latest reply

After having one package go missing before a scan, after dropping it in our very small, and good, dedicated staff PO, we began getting receipts.  Anyone can make a mistake and/or someone can snatch a package when a clerk's back is turned. Being proactive and getting the scan just makes sense to us.

Message 14 of 81
latest reply

I have had to drop off a few packages at my local post office.  The package drop vault bin is often jammed or full, so I stood in line to get my package scanned in & the person at the counter told me to use the machine and actually stopped everything she was doing - and showed me how to use the machine located in the lobby that scans in the package and gives you a receipt. Then you either leave the package on the counter or in an open package collection cage. I had the impression that there is a push by some entity to get people to use the machine to scan -vs- waiting in line. I find the idea of leaving a package on a open counter / bin to be somewhat risky but there is no other option if the collection vault is full or jammed. I'm not sure if the package scan machine is available at all post offices but if it is it's an option. That said, if a customer is willing to wait in line, then I think that USPS should be able willing and obligated to scan the packages. 

Normally, I do an online package pick-up request and have the packages picked up. For about 8 months last year I went thru a big mess with a mail carrier with a grudge against package pick-ups. He deliberately failed to pick up the packages that were front door pick-up over and over and even did not pick up locked mailbox scheduled pickups despite a large written reminder taped to the inside front of the box.  I complained to everyone up and down the chain of command - then a package was never scanned and went "missing". Finally, something happened, and we now have a new mail carrier who is a gem - always picks up packages and scans right away. I really appreciate mail carriers who are dedicated customer service. 

Message 15 of 81
latest reply