cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. To Pull Out Of Cheap Shippeng Treaty

Looks like the flood of Chinese made goods on Ebay and other platforms may take a major hit if Trump follows thru. Not good for them but good for US sellers and manufacturers.

Yes folks it's true!

It's Ebay....so they CAN and DO make this stuff up!
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: U.S. To Pull Out Of Cheap Shippeng Treaty

@binderzz

The issue isn't 144 years old and it predates 2008 but the current director of the UN UPU is a Kenyan named "Bishar Abdirahman Hussein".

http://www.upu.int/en/the-upu/director-general/about-the-director-general.html

What is the point of this post? What are you trying to say?

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

That he is Kenyan and has the last name Hussein I don't see as relevant information and would like an explanation of what that has to do with this thread? 

What I am concerned with is that the USPS loses approximately $1 on every single e-packet from China, and that the USPS operates in the red every year. Granted, their congressional forced retirement savings plan also needs to be revamped. 

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Thanks for posting......hope it goes thru...........

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

ebay stands to lose millions if not billions. I wonder when the disingenuous rhetoric will begin praising American sellers. "You spoke we listened. We are bringing ebay back home." LOL. So many American sellers have left out of disgust,  without their coveted China this could put ebay's stock in the single digits by 2020 if  not sooner. 

ebay jobs will probably be lost too. The ones in constant contact with communist China making orders for counterfeit goods to flood the market.

This is just a win win all around. I am literally giddy over this.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

“These disparities have introduced a massive distortion in the eCommerce market,” Mr. Navarro wrote in a Financial Times op-ed last month. “It is often possible for a Chinese company to sell ‘knockoff’ products through online vendors, such as Amazon or Alibaba, to U.S. consumers for less than it costs for American mailers to ship authentic goods. Moreover, while USPS loses an estimated $1 on every small package that arrives from China, outbound mail of American exporters is charged at well above cost.”

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Only pointing out the oddity of a Kenyan directing the UN body that sets money losing international postal rates for the USPS.

It's about like putting Saudi Arabia on the UN Human Rights Council.

People look out for their narrow, parochial best interests in spite of all the feel good "can't we all just get along - we are the world" nonsense.

USA politicians and bureacrats haven't pushed back in a long time.  It's good to see Trump finally pushing back.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

That he is Kenyan and has the last name Hussein I don't see as relevant information and would like an explanation of what that has to do with this thread? 

Agreed. That's why I asked, too. 

@binderzz

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@lightwing_studios wrote:

Looks like the flood of Chinese made goods on Ebay and other platforms may take a major hit if Trump follows thru. Not good for them but good for US sellers and manufacturers.

I hope he follow through on it as the UPU was given notice and even called a special meeting, only the second in their history in September. 

The results?? :

The normal wasted time discussing things and then tabling them until 2020 so that China still gets the same pricing as Gabon does.  Technically i had read an article that the EPackets actually pay slightly more than the Chinese are required to pay under the terms set by the UPU so they could revoke it and get even lower prices.  But it is long past time for China to pay their fair share of shipping their items to the US but then if we want to return an item its over $10 to start, which gives China a clear advantage over the US sellers and buyers.  Its time to even the playing field.  

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

I'm surprised China, Gabon and Kenya can't mail into the USA for free.

The UN should be all over this.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

>The issue isn't 144 years old and it predates 2008 but the current director of the UN UPU is a Kenyan named "Bishar Abdirahman Hussein".<

What are you inferring?

Yes folks it's true!

It's Ebay....so they CAN and DO make this stuff up!
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

I guess that they will have to go to Dollar Tree although I do believe that if Trump goes through with more tariffs against China Dollar Tree might have to rename itself " Two Dollar Tree."
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@3brothersdeals wrote:

ebay stands to lose millions if not billions. I wonder when the disingenuous rhetoric will begin praising American sellers. "You spoke we listened. We are bringing ebay back home." LOL. So many American sellers have left out of disgust,  without their coveted China this could put ebay's stock in the single digits by 2020 if  not sooner. 

ebay jobs will probably be lost too. The ones in constant contact with communist China making orders for counterfeit goods to flood the market.

This is just a win win all around. I am literally giddy over this.

Well yes and no.  While many things from Asian sellers may no longer look as attractive to buyers if the shipping rates are more in line with reality, US sellers sales will increase.  Only time and implementation of the changes will tell the true story of how this would end up for Ebay as a company.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:
I guess that they will have to go to Dollar Tree although I do believe that if Trump goes through with more tariffs against China Dollar Tree might have to rename itself " Two Dollar Tree."

That could be the case if Dollar Tree gets all their inventory via USPS (highly doubtful at all); and if everything they stocked was cheap China junk.

Their bread and butter seems to be munchies, assorted snax, and various "base" grocery items; with a lot of those being major name brands repackaged for smaller portions and $1 or lower pricing.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

I can deal with having to order things from US sellers, and paying S/H.

I'm nervous about the Chinese sellers realizing they are getting screwed by the USA, so they could keep taking orders but not ship them, blaming it on increased postage rates. Then they ask for more money for shipping, and still do not ship anything. It's not like they value the US market any longer.

I am NOT ordering from Chinese vendors until all this is sorted out.

eBay may have A LOT of claims in the near future. Ditto for PayPal.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I just want to play devils advocate here ...

Throwing the whole UPU agreement out is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater 😞

That same agreement controls the terminal dues system for ALL member countries.

Without the agreement in place, U.S. sellers will probably be charged MORE to ship to places like Canada, Australia and the UK. 

It also affects eDELCON agreements. Class I Postal Systems agree to track each other's inbound packets.

What happens to tracking on First Class International packages if there is no agreement?

(Priority and EMS are covered under a different agreement)

The last UPU Session agreed to start raising terminal dues for China at 17% a year for the next 4 years. There was progress being made. Why was it necessary to trash the whole agreement?

The problem is the UN's seeming unwillingness to categorize China as a Class I economy ... they are still ranked as Class III while, for example, the Bahamas is ranked Class II.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 30 of 37
latest reply