cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To List 'Promoted' or Not To List 'Promoted', That is the Question.

Just food for thought. If enough sellers with stores agree to these new 'promoted' listings, it will only be a matter of time before you will see the actual percentages we are now paying in the differnt catagories raised to these new projected levels.  Promoted listings was simply a way for them to see just how much more the sellers are willing to pay to sell their items here.  Smart.  Devin Wenig obviously knows what he's doing, and now you do too.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: To List 'Promoted' or Not To List 'Promoted', That is the Question.

Y

@calistas_closet33 wrote:

It’s insanity. Definitely we are a byproduct of a bigger issue. I was just pinning some of my listings and kept looking at the big Honda advertisement banner in my way..ugh 

Yes.. they definitely need to feature eBay and Amazon on that TV show.. American Greed.

Not that these companies are involved in illegal activity.. but they are definitely 2 of the biggest examples of the growing problem of AMERICAN GREED.. $$$$$.

No amount of money is ever enough.  They have to have it ALL.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

I have tried them and so far have not even been able to get more views let alone a sale. Hope this is helpful to you.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

I have been making some sales without them, plus I sell on 3 other sites with a lot less fees. That would be my suggestion on making more sales instead of paying extra for promoted.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Amazon stocks its own product, buys other web based operations..such as shopbop.com, wag.com, and I think possibly Zappos/6pm.com not sure in the last one. They purchased Whole Foods and I am sure a ton more Im not referencing..so they have skin in the game, and also screw sellers by copying/ stocking anything that sells well from outside sellers. I do not sell in Amazon, I had sold a small amount but it’s not worth the time consuming process. Ebay has a platform, that is glitchy and policies that are amazon like now without having to live by the service they advertise. If they did, they’d lead by example in how they have glitches and rarely acknowledge and to my knowledge, not compensate sellers for losses incurred by their issues, however they are quick to rate sellers based on arbitrary metrics that include fraudulent use of SNAD returns. So eBay has earned a special place in my heart. 😉
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

In addition, until ebay negotiates far better shipping rates for sellers, those sellers who use their shipping rates, not those who are so high volume they do better, they will not be able to compete with Amazon or Walmart. I just had my prime pantry order delivered and it weighs over 20lbs and I pay $4 a month for free shipping over $40 in an order. And the prices of the products I buy beat many grocery store prices. There is no way ebay can compete with Prime, Prime Pantry, Walmart 2-Day free shipping, including heavy oversized items unless they either take over all fulfillment or provide sellers with better shipping rates.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@essencehomedecor wrote:

Amazon started doing this.. so now eBay, of course, has decided to follow suit.  Just another way to gouge sellers for even more $$$.

On-line, I think it actually started many years ago with Google.  It is simply a characteristic of the internet ... not much different than a retailer paying extra money for higher traffic spots in malls, at a trade show, flea markets, etc.

Not suprisingly, eBay is simply the last to catch on.

This is an optional fee.  You don't have to pay for it, but I think it is a great way to get items in front of buyers that are normally buried in eBay searches.

I could see paying a bit extra to be above the rest of the listings.. but I have seen listings that say "Sponsored" and they are buried in the 11th and 12 rows of products.

I don't think I would care to waste my money in the hopes someone might scroll through 11 rows without finding what they are looking for and maybe spot my sponsored listing in the 12th row.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I also refuse to pay ebay to promote my listings.

However, my sales have really tanked the past several months, so when Volume Pricing came along I decided to try it.  Didn't want to spend time with copy/paste listing numbers, so I selected to use it on all my listings at the time, with an expiration date of 12/1/18.

To my surprise, I started getting sales!  None from the multiple items that had a discount for multiple items, but sales none-the-less.  I'm a happy camper.  When 12/1/18 comes around, I'm going to do it again to all my listings.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I’ve had a lot of problems with eBay, but I try to keep the faith that things are going to get better. I was so upset over Black Friday not showing lowest price that I crowed and crowed. So, what I did was put it on AGAIN for only 2 days. I will compare sales versus not promoted. We will see. I don’t care about views, I care about purchases. I have a store in addition to eBay, so I’m working with Pinterest for advertising and so far it’s going well. I’m making some sales on Amazon too. At this point, Amazon is not the highest price commission. So, if I’m going to pay more then they need to get busy and get my products moving. I’m worn out from trying the discussion boards and it is taking away from my goal and that is to sell. Whatever it takes is what I will be doing. I will check back and let you know about promoted versus not promoted. Otherwise, I need to hush and get busy for the Christmas season. 

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

I’m on day 2 and no sales with promoted listings. I think if you complain or make true statements on the boards you get punished. I talked again to eBay yesterday and they said the search has a glitch!! It is what it is. I need to quiet down. It takes away from my focus and that is to move my products. Amazon is beating them in sales. I have two accounts with them. The one I sell on is a separate computer. I have other type of products on my other account. I also added to Pinterest ads and that is going well. I have a Shopify store that I love. The support is remarkable.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply