cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwing all of my inventory away

I wish there was a way to know how many sellers throw away/donate their inventory.  Do you throw yours away ever?  Donate it?

I have donated some of mine but if I can't give away my inventory in front of the worlds largest audience here on eBay,  there is absolutely no point in donating what no one wants.  It's a sinking feeling but I've made my profit and what remains is garbage.

Opinions?

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: Throwing all of my inventory away

@bartermaniac wrote:

If you decide to donate, please do not use Goodwill. If you research, you will be shocked at how much profit that "charity" pulls in and how much their  top people make is appalling. Please consider AmVets who will pick the items up from your porch, Salvation Army or another true charitable organization. 

100% agree. Goodwill is not a charity at all. I donate clothes to a women's shelter. The rest of my stuff just stays with me until I sell it.

Message 61 of 92
latest reply

KirstenRaye

Here is what is happening on my end of your items for sale...

I love that Hermes blouse and think its worth the asking price.

but since I have not sold one thing here in MONTHS...(except for something I sold for someone else)

I have no money in my paypal account to purchase it...

trickle down economics...

stupid 1% ers can't seem to figure that out....

don't pay the protelariat enough and they have no money to spend...

economy goes in the tank.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

<dapi>

previously know as def.a.posting id

Message 62 of 92
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

Yes... and that's the way it is.  I took a couple of days and sorted thru 200 items of clothing.  Sorted them into - "I'm keeping for my use",  "donate" and "resell locally".

Then I got an education.  The higher end clothing hadn't just fallen of the ebay radar but I couldn't sell them locally for 1 dollar each.  This Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne, Chico's etc.  These people have storage facilities full of clothing because their clothing's not selling.  They're stuck too.  This ties back into the beginning of the topic where someone said "those thrift stores are only keeping "trendy item" and trashing the rest.....  What sells, sells and what's not moving after 90 days does not sell. 

I've got a friend that sells clothing on ebay and will list things when she gets them and after 3 months will pull them and pur them in her garage sale to sell them for a buck.  In theory it's a good idea, but she will list the stuff when she gets it and most of the time it's late or in the wrong season.  So I hit up her garage sale and buy up her gorgous name brand cashmere sweaters for a buck each on the hottest day of the year, that she laments that she can't sell and wait 3 months and list them in Sept and sell them for what she wouldn't get for them.

Culling merchandise is always a great idea, but knowing the best time to do so is the trick to real success.  I have a couple of autographed items that I have held for years because I know that someday soon the person will die and I can make 25 times then what I can make for it now.

(*Bleep*)
Message 63 of 92
latest reply

thanks for the helpful usmc...

sometimes I think my thoughts on this are off the mark..... in my heart I know 

they are not...but it seems like people don't care.

Message 64 of 92
latest reply

I read many threads about people getting "lowball" offers but sometimes if you throw stuff out there with best offer and are willing to take whatever someone will give you will move ALOT of merchandise!  I do about 2/3 of my sales with best offer anyway and I am never disappointed.  I dont get super "lowball" offers and the item does sell so its all good.

Message 65 of 92
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

I read many threads about people getting "lowball" offers but sometimes if you throw stuff out there with best offer and are willing to take whatever someone will give you will move ALOT of merchandise!  I do about 2/3 of my sales with best offer anyway and I am never disappointed.  I dont get super "lowball" offers and the item does sell so its all good.

Yeah.  I'm trying to figure out what to do for Friday (tomorrow).  I was thinking of running the old inventory with the new inventory in auction format, starting at $9.99.  It's still more than I paid and I know some items will be bid higher to round out the totals.

I am sitting on a few Spring items and honestly I do think it's a little early for them.  I think Easter is better for Spring items but to keep the ball rollingand  in my limited space, I'll let em go.

@retrose1you might want to get your bidding finger ready LOL

Message 66 of 92
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

KirstenRaye

Here is what is happening on my end of your items for sale...

I love that Hermes blouse and think its worth the asking price.

but since I have not sold one thing here in MONTHS...(except for something I sold for someone else)

I have no money in my paypal account to purchase it...

trickle down economics...

stupid 1% ers can't seem to figure that out....

don't pay the protelariat enough and they have no money to spend...

economy goes in the tank.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

<dapi>

previously know as def.a.posting id

I'm in full agreement and have been known to say these exact same words.

Message 67 of 92
latest reply

Easter isnt far away and it takes time for folks to find the item, buy it, get it shipped etc.  So I would start listing spring/summer and Easter NOW.  And cold as it is, sweaters and coats are probably done for the year.

Message 68 of 92
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

Easter isnt far away and it takes time for folks to find the item, buy it, get it shipped etc.  So I would start listing spring/summer and Easter NOW.  And cold as it is, sweaters and coats are probably done for the year.

I actually passed up a Tom Ford cashmere today.  It had a hole in it but I didn't feel like it was worth mending. 

@rixstuffhow do you decide to put in your inventory?  Is it based on magazines, in-store field trips, runway pics, personal taste, luck of the draw?

Message 69 of 92
latest reply

I GET my inventory from whatever folks give me or whatever is laying around the house.  I LIST my inventory based on trends I see in ads on TV or seasons or whats in stores at the mall.  If I get something I dont recognize (or know what it is) I do some homework and find out what it is or who would buy it then try to figure out when folks are most likely to be interested.  I also target things for holidays - I sold tons of red, purple, and pink stuff for Valentines and of course tons of things with cupids or hearts.  Those red flip flops were perfect for Christmas because I SAID SO and they sold right away.  Just make your case as to why your item is awesome and price so folks wont think to hard before buying.

Message 70 of 92
latest reply

@haute_again wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

I actually passed up a Tom Ford cashmere today.  It had a hole in it but I didn't feel like it was worth mending. 

@rixstuffhow do you decide to put in your inventory?  Is it based on magazines, in-store field trips, runway pics, personal taste, luck of the draw?

I won't list something on ebay that has status that I have to do any more mending than a button replacement or seam repair.  Now As Is can do well, but not on ebay.

I watch commercials on tv.  If a department store, like Target is willing to spend money to lure people into their store, they will include images of stuff that people want.

As far as bidding goes, ship cost is usually more than I will pay.  Every time I pay actualy dent in the lunch money for some name brand, looks easy to flip piece, it never moves and I am stuck with it.  I don't like that.

Last weekend I hit an annual fundraiser sale.  I spent $20 there in two visits and got 82 items.    First day I spent $13 and got 10 items, the name brand stuff that I figured wouldn't be there the last couple of hours.  I went back and filled up at the bag sale, 7 bags.  It is now less than a week and I have made over $80 already and about half of the stuff isn't listed yet, the cashmere sweaters ect, and I have items that are auction listed that will roll off with bids.  Some of it will end up in my garage sale, but for the most part, I am really cheap when I aquire my resale stuff.

(*Bleep*)
Message 71 of 92
latest reply

@sbmonroe wrote:
Your political views and name calling (stupid 1% era) have no place here and are offensive. You should have learned from your mother that you may say 1% ers do stupid (in your view - and never really an appropriate word) things, but not that they are, as a group, stupid.
Good luck to you.

Seriously?...wow.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 72 of 92
latest reply

I just put 4 huge garbage bags of Christmas ornaments out to the curb after I picked off the good ones. I don't want to run into them at the local thrifts I shop. 

Message 73 of 92
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I just put 4 huge garbage bags of Christmas ornaments out to the curb after I picked off the good ones. I don't want to run into them at the local thrifts I shop. 

I ended up keeping and wearing a lot of it.  The things that didn't fit I ended up giving to neighbors and friends.  One woman's son helped me when I locked my keys in my car so I gave her the hunting jacket which made me feel so good.  She started crying (we were in the thrift parking lot) and that's what she had come there for.  I had gone there to donate and it's nice to know it went to the right person!

As far as the newer things, it's being stored for better days, especially the vintage items.

Message 74 of 92
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

I can't give St John or Escada away.  I have some nice vintage and they barely get a look.  And I don't really like trying to list Chicos because about half the buyers omplain about the size because Chicos size structure is different.

Right now I am doing well with lower priced products because I think that people are a little insecure.

@retrose1  I was just searching St. John because I have the opportunity at a mass influx of inventory.  I stopped selling St. John, which at one time was my anchor, around early 2007 when I saw it starting to decline.  I did see it bounce back sometime between 2011 and 2015 but it seems to be on the decline again.  I think in part because it's main following is now reaching retirement.  The younger buyers never seemed to jump on the bandwagon the company hoped for.

Message 75 of 92
latest reply