cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They Pulled The Plug on Net Neutrality. Now What?

It happened.  Net Neutrality is being pulled starting next month.

How will that affect us here?  I can see where ppl who have their own sites might be in real trouble, but how about us selling and buying on eBay?

I remember eBay asking us to write or sign a petition against that last year, but forgot the reasons they gave.  Who has a good memory or better info?

Thanks!

P.S. David Lazerous (spelling?) is the source I have. Credible?  I think so...  The news just broke (it's 12:30pm now, Tues. the 22nd.)

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: They Pulled The Plug on Net Neutrality. Now What?

Afternoon,

Those willing to spend the most money will control more of it.

Ebay is typically only generous with sellers money...not their own.

If they choose to spend what is necessary to stay afloat expect sellers fees to rise accordingly and it being blamed on this change.

Mr C

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

slight_frown  ::sigh::   slight_frown

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

You know, that's really not what this is about.  The whole concept came up out of fears that companies like AT&T (who owns Direct TV) and Comcast that have their own video streaming service might limit access to competing streaming services.

Or G limiting access to this site because they want people to use their own shopping services.

This is about the big guys limiting access to their competition.

This really isn't about the little guys from anything I've seen.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

I wish I could agree with you Chrysylys but I can see higher fees for all of us in the comming years (Ebay saying they can't get fast access unless they pay more money so they raise out fees, your internet provider , if not one of the major ones, raising fees to keep high speed access etc. I hope I'm wrong 

BUT it is not a done deal so email the Fcc before next week

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I'd actually be fine with that! Good investment since this may be a new reality. If they really invest in making us all ok during all this, then I vote yes.
Thanks for giving me hope!
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Oh, yes...yes...yes! That'd be great! Makes sense and is what the article ( Trump administration, in a gift to telecom firms, is pulling the plug on net neutrality) said.
I think I'll go to a nearby park for a little break. Or a beer.... (Smiles!)
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Expect both a rise in fees because Ebay will have to start payoff the ISPs AND your ISPs will begin charging you a fee to access the internet and then make you buy a tier of products like cable to access groups of chosen sites.  Look at Portugal.  They have not had Net Neutrality for a while and they get charged for access and then have to pay to reach certain websites or groups of websites.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

I agree. If they can keep it under some kind of do-able level, I won't mind a hike.
And check out the article: "Trump administration, in a gift to telecom firms, is pulling the plug on net neutrality") and see if it's not already passed.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

I didn't know that! Thanks for the good info.
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

You may not be so happy when your internet provider starts charging for all the popular websites. Like Hulu? That will be 5.00 a month more. Like youtube? That will be an extra 5.00 please. They will be charging like the cable companies do now. You won't be able to just click on any website, you will need a paid subscription.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Elections have consequences.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Prices will go up, ad/spam content will be increased and your bandwidth will be throttled back. Other that all that it's a great idea.

Yes folks it's true!

It's Ebay....so they CAN and DO make this stuff up!
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Don't worry, things were fine before net neutrality, so things will be fine without it again.
This will just create more competition and better services. Just like the deregulation of the telephone industry and the airline industry.
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

The biggest losers will probably be streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, etc., and those who use them. These services will be charged exhorbitant fees, and will pass it on to the subscriber.

On the upside, expect to see more small America towns setting up their own WI-FI services as "utilities". 

Message 15 of 46
latest reply