cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They Broke eBay - How Sad

Although I realize that titles like this will inevitably draw out those who feel that it's their duty to not only defend eBay, but even blame sellers for doing something wrong, then so be it. We know who you are due to your condescending consistency. 

Yet, this year is shaping up to be the beginning of the end for eBay. What caused them to try to change so many aspects of eBay's front-end and back-end systems? Greed perhaps. Or maybe desperation, in an attempt to stop the bleeding of lost year-over-year market share. Their motivation to add PL coupled with a revised definition of impressions shows that they no longer care about sustainable sellers, let alone the overall effect on fair market values of resold goods.

This current system has only one outcome, which is to drive sales by price competition. This includes parading identical items with lower prices in front of buyers AFTER they made their purchase. It's no wonder why cancelations are up and sales are down. All of this ocurring during a time when eBay is losing over a million sellers each year since 2018, all the while it's competitors are gaining sellers and market share. The writing is on the wall.

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: They Broke eBay - How Sad

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

I would have to disagree after being on eBay for over 23 years. My sales under my primary ID show my best year yet. It's all about adapting, being creative, great customer service, and value. So sorry I couldn't agree. Well, not really.  Have a good one!

Thank you for that post.

A nice break from the doom and gloom so prevalent on these boards.

Part time seller here but 'm also in line to have my best year in 24 years.

I guess ebay isn't such a miserable place for all sellers.

I wish you continued success.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 76 of 109
latest reply

You are so correct! I see the same people year after year say they are quitting eBay!

Message 77 of 109
latest reply

That's odd, I'm doing great this year but I also changed up a lot of what I was doing previously that wasn't working.

I have no issues or complaints. It all comes down to one that thing that most people just don't want to oblige with and that's what you are selling. You can have the biggest store on eBay but if you don't have good, desirable items with high sell thru rates then expect to wait a while for those to sell. Then toss in all of the other factors like price, accepting/no accepting returns, shipping, best offer etc... All of those will also have an effect on how quick the item will move.

You're selling items that not only require a specific niche audience but take a while to move. I'd suggest sourcing items with only a 100% sell thru rate and you'll get sales all the time skippy. If not then keep doing what your doing!

Message 78 of 109
latest reply

Yeah. Paypal must be the culprit.

2020 Gross Merchandise Volume: 100 Billion
2022 Gross Merchandise Volume:  73.9 Billion
That's a 26% loss in TWO YEARS!!!
Active users? Oh yeah...we got those too:
2018 Active Users: 175 Million
2022 Active Users: 138 Million
Yeah...that's only a "paltry" loss of 22% of their active users. In 3 YEARS!!
Let's put this in simple terms for people to understand.
In 3 short years,  1 out of every 5 ebay users quit the platform. Gone. Poof.

Message 79 of 109
latest reply

All I know is when I have stuff my customers want they sell.   

The difficult thing is ebay is no longer a yard sale - there can be no casual sellers here thanks to the tyranny of the tax State.  Also, Ebay has to push off criminals selling the fruits of the organized shoplifting devastating many retail areas.  

Message 80 of 109
latest reply

I researched this and what you stated is incorrect.  You can cross-post.  Besides, how in the world would Ebay, or any other platform monitor this.  Its a moot point, as there's no platform that had ToS against cross-listing. 

Why wouldn't you want your items in front of more eye balls.  More eyes equal more sales.  

Message 81 of 109
latest reply

I agree with you.

But with my luck if I had the same item listed on platform A and platform B, they would sell at the exact same time.   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 82 of 109
latest reply

@pereirahawk wrote:

I researched this and what you stated is incorrect.  You can cross-post.  Besides, how in the world would Ebay, or any other platform monitor this.  Its a moot point, as there's no platform that had ToS against cross-listing. 

Why wouldn't you want your items in front of more eye balls.  More eyes equal more sales.  

I can tell you Amazon can readily tend find cross posters if they use any external applications that make calls to the AWS commerce interface.  Amazon for years has kept a balance of how many third party vendors stay shall we say, salable and also why they strictly control the Buy Box.  They do this in order to control the amount of revenues that come in via third parties as too much revenue can afford loss of control extending too much power and more so too much risk placed into third party sales.  Back some 15 years ago Amazon's "sweet spot" was around 35-40% and that's changed now, its been in the 50-60% range in hard goods for many reasons.  Amazon's FBA program, the massive increase in Amazon's reliance on digital assets, streaming and AWS services.  Amazon has enjoyed a favored status within governmental powers that be as well as they are able to exercise more control over external sellers/suppliers than most every other venue short of Walmart.

The Safe Shopping Act which was shot down yet far from dead would have literally handed the entire third party marketplace to the likes of Amazon and Walmart.  Government(s) feel the best way to stop countless problems is to put control of said sellers/markets into the hands of the giants who they then can control accordingly.  Many reasons for that sort of mindset both valid and not so much.

As one poster in the thread noted the recent attacks and theft in retail resulting in subsequent sales online and into varied shops (pawn/consign etc) is yet another plate atop an already significant stack of plates.

Problems on the Internet be they commerce, social media, gaming on and on are simply not solvable short of regulatory measures as folks will do as they do.  Make no mistake about it, Governments across the world have become ever so much more aware of that fact pre/post covid.  Venues no matter the venues focus are becoming less and less able to control the environments no matter how hard they try.  AI among "Powers that be" is actually being deemed a "hopeful" in constraining human beings activities and conducts online and there are just heaps and heaps and heaps of problems with human activities and conducts online.

The safe shopping act sought to make usage of any trademarked term to be a fineable offence to the point of sale by law!  So if you happen to use a trademark term such as "onesies" or "Ford" or "Pokemon" in a listing no matter where the point of sale get fined.  That essentially kill third party commerce EXCEPT for the big guys, Amazon and Walmart who MAKE DEALS, have CLOUT and can CONTROL over such matters.  Then if governments care to, they could strangle cottage sellers per se.

You might say eBay *IS* the bastion and company that keeps the ability for third party sellers to be able to even sell online.  eBay *IS* the wall that is and HAS kept third party online commerce from being smashed by the powers that be for a good twenty years anyway.  Governments around the globe are not fond of third party commerce and have not been for quite sometime for many valid and many invalid reasons.

I'm not an eBay cheerleader but I'm also not daft to the hordes of problems that surround third party eCommerce at all levels, seller, consumer, point of sale, retailers, manufacturers, distributors, authorities, governments and then some.  You dont see me attacking eBay as I realize the external forces at play are just so much more gigantic its literally one David versus thousands of Goliaths.  I very much doubt that in the literal history of mankind there is any commercial entity that's had so many killer wolves at their doors and staved them off.  Not to mention those wolves have the power! 

Thus, I am grateful to eBay not only due to them allowing me peddle items but because they are the leading entity in commerce online that has KEPT the wolves from destroying significant freedom et el.  I mean even in my home community the powers that be restrict yard sales, three a season, thats it or you're fined.

Message 83 of 109
latest reply

Excellent point, that eBay is pitting sellers against each other.

That's always evident here, anyway, on the discussion boards, with some sellers blaming other sellers when the latter post to say that they feel a practice is not quite fair. 

Reminds me, too, of a cartoon I once cut out.

A boss has assembled some employees in his office and says about one standing in front of his desk, that she won the contest of who would be willing work for the lowest wage.  Everyone else is fired.

Message 84 of 109
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Ebay hasn't raised the FVF since 2020. 

@mam98031  in addition to several FVF increases in specific categories over the last few years, eBay has also increased FVF across most categories multiple times since 2020.

Just a few examples:

Spring 2021 Update - https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2021-spring/financials

Winter 2022 Update - https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2022-winter/financials

Winter 2023 Update - https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-winter/financials 

Message 85 of 109
latest reply

Is it your expectation that each year the numbers should be relatively the same?  If so, I'm confident you will always be concerned as I'm not sure any company actually does that.

The loss of sellers doesn't concern me as much as the loss of buyers.  I expected a downturn in the numbers after the Pandemic, but this has been going on longer than that.  The downturn in sellers also is partly due to the Pandemic times.

Seem you relish the idea of Ebay doing badly due to your personal opinion of the site.  I sure don't.  Not only is it not good for me financially, it would negatively impact millions of others.  I would never and could never be happy or satisfied with that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 86 of 109
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Don't confuse Cross Posting with double posting on the Ebay site.  The two are not the same.

Good grief.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 87 of 109
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Don't confuse Cross Posting with double posting on the Ebay site.  The two are not the same.

Good grief.

Sorry, clearly I misread your post.

@chapeau-noir 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 88 of 109
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Just because younger generations don't like collectibles doesn't make them inferior people. I'm really sick and tired of this gross and untrue generalization. Sorry if they don't like knickknacks, neither do I.

And that's just it-- they DO collect, just not the same things that the older generation collects. I sell collectibles aimed at younger people. I go to conventions and see people there spending hundreds of dollars on collectibles. What they DON'T collect is stuff like Precious Moments or Hummel figurines, Thomas Kincade plates, etc.

Yes.  I know that I'm generalizing, but: 

Many younger people today live in small spaces and in shared spaces, are likely to be urban-dwellers, and expect to move around for employment.  They often work long hours.

They don't want heavy,  glass-fronted corner cabinets filled with "collectible" plates or figurines.  They don't want silverware, gold-rimmed china, crystal glasses, or other fussy dinnerware that can't be put into a dishwasher.  They want furniture that is multifunctional and easy to break down to move.  And so on.  They're realistic and practical.  They just don't want the stuff that the older generation is trying to get rid of as it "downsizes."

-

Message 89 of 109
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Just because younger generations don't like collectibles doesn't make them inferior people. I'm really sick and tired of this gross and untrue generalization. Sorry if they don't like knickknacks, neither do I.

And that's just it-- they DO collect, just not the same things that the older generation collects. I sell collectibles aimed at younger people. I go to conventions and see people there spending hundreds of dollars on collectibles. What they DON'T collect is stuff like Precious Moments or Hummel figurines, Thomas Kincade plates, etc.

Yes.  I know that I'm generalizing, but: 

Many younger people today live in small spaces and in shared spaces, are likely to be urban-dwellers, and expect to move around for employment.  They often work long hours.

They don't want heavy,  glass-fronted corner cabinets filled with "collectible" plates or figurines.  They don't want silverware, gold-rimmed china, crystal glasses, or other fussy dinnerware that can't be put into a dishwasher.  They want furniture that is multifunctional and easy to break down to move.  And so on.  They're realistic and practical.  They just don't want the stuff that the older generation is trying to get rid of as it "downsizes."

-

TBH, this describes how a lot of humanity has lived down through a hundred generations. And to be honest, a lot of we olde fartes didn't want much, or any, of the fragile or specific collectibles, either, or like having just a few items that mean something to us, or might have 'the family china'. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 90 of 109
latest reply