cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The USPS ".99" program for 3 oz or less sports cards is DEEPLY FLAWED...eBay please HELP!

I've been using the cheap .99 (although it's 1.11 now) program since it's inception a few years ago.  Its deeply flawed on several levels, and eBay needs to revisit the agreement w the USPS ASAP...here's what's been happening:

-USPS tracking info, generated directly fr ebay site, is almost always inaccurate and misleading.  For whatever reason usps is not required to do scans at each hop, so they dont.

-USPS routinely returns items for "insuffucient postage", even though my parcels 100% comply w the program.

-USPS randomly takes upwards of 45+ DAYS!! to deliver.  Can't for the life of me understand why it takes significantly longer than sending an envelope via good old snail mail!

-That leads to refund requests, even though my item description explains everything and tells the buyer they need to be patient and give it 45 days. 

-To make it more fun, when claims are filed, eBay sides w buyer, takes my money away because of USPS incompetence and the brokenness of this program...and then they have the nerve to tell me it's because the tracking info i provided isnt valid..it's YOUR SYSTEM GENERATED tracking info?

-So, I've made no money, lost money of time and labor, paid for worthless shipping, and no longer have the item.  The buyer I'm sure eventually receives, but guess how many times they've contacted me to make me whole on payment...if you guessed zero good job.

Something needs to be done about the issues with this program, it's just getting worse while at the same time randomly and without notice going up in price as well.

Unfortunately the concept is great and is helpful for selling smaller ticket items and keeping buyer costs down...but that doesn't do much good with all of the above constantly happening and destroying my margins.

eBay, I IMPLORE you to read this and offer explanation, or actually do something about these unacceptable issues.

And for the rest of the Selling community, please share your thoughts and experiences with this program on this thread as well, I'd love to hear from you!

Chris

BarDownCards

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: The USPS ".99" program for 3 oz or less sports cards is DEEPLY FLAWED...eBay please HE

How many times have you had 30 to 45 days? What percentage of shipments are you talking about?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 19 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: The USPS ".99" program for 3 oz or less sports cards is DEEPLY FLAWED...eBay please HE

Ebay does not monitor these boards.. These boards are strictly for members to communicate and discuss issues.. Nobody from ebay is in here, and no changes are being made by anything anyone is doing in here.. Hope you get the issue resolved at some point, but things on this site are steadily getting worse by the day. I pray myself it starts to get better, but i see a ton of sellers that have been on this site for multipule years with huge issues, and to sum that up, its not a good thing at all. 

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Hello!

Thanks for the reply and info thay ebay doesn't monitor....while I suspected as much I'd bet ya 2 to 1 that if someone says something out of line, a moderator swoops in...some of em may be community members but i betcha some are ebay employees too...so I think they do monitor to some level, just not in any way that is remotely helpful to us ( their customers) struggling w issues.

I find it very strange that they only seem to care about buyers...that's where the focus is and where the money is spent...do the suits over there seriously not understand that, without sellers...THERE ARE NO BUYERS?  Sad but true.

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

What do you expect for a buck?

From what I hear about it, I thinks it's more problems then it's worth.

I'd rather spend a little more and get better service.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 60
latest reply

Yeah I get that, and agree in principal...problem is that most of what I'm selling is 20 or less....so it's about keeping the cost down for the seller...who wants to pay 4 buck to have a 1 buck card shipped...that's why the service is a great idea...just very poorly implemented 

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

The barcode is different than a tracking number. It's an Intelligent Mail® Barcode:

https://postalpro.usps.com/mailing/intelligent-mail-barcode

It's only scanned by automated sorting equipment. That's not going to change.

They are handled like any other letter because that's what the service is: Lettermail postage with the added benefits of the Intelligent Mail® Barcode and ability to purchase online as opposed to putting a stamp on it.

Ebay should do a better job of explaining how it works so everyone knows what to expect.

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

Thanks for the info! 

All makes sense, except....

Why does it take upwards of 30 to 45 days when the same distance on a snail mail makes it in a week tops?

I wouldn't mind if it took as long as snail mail, what i can't grasp is how the F it takes 4 times longer?  Any insight?

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

Also doesn't explain why eBay turns around and tries to say the tracking number is invalid,  when it's their freakin system (or pass through to USPS, not sure exactly how that works) that is generating it?  Just the CS people not being familiar w the program and/or not knowing how to do their jobs I guess??

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

I don't know why they would be taking that long. There was another discussion recently where an ebay seller gave a link to a video he made with some tips on how he mails them.

Here's a link to that discussion:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-Standard-Envelope-has-to-be-non-machinable/m-p/33875767#M...

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

Is it ever getting a scan? I think once it gets scanned, you're covered by the insurance the program has.

Beyond that. How are you packaging it? Myself, I use these cardboard sleeves and stick it in a white envelope. Usually less than an ounce. Outside of a couple times it taking 4 days for the initial scan at a sorting facility. I haven't had any issues with ESE. At the same time. I've only used it 50 or 60 times. And I know my area is better than others for some reason.

As for delivery time. I think I've had a few take a couple weeks. But if you're getting a lot at 45 days. It sounds more like they're getting lost for some reason.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

My Ebay Standard Envelope (ESE) experience has been completely opposite of yours.  

I'm not boasting either: but my acceptance and delivery scan rate is 100%  The key part of this service is the envelope you use.  Too rigid and you end up with non-scans, up rated packages, and postage due deliveries...with no final delivery scan.  Too flimsy and you get damaged/torn envelopes.

I see you're shipping sports cards.

What type of envelope are you using?

Are you using top loaders?

One more thing.  Are you aware that ESE comes with $20 insurance for single item orders and $50 for multi-item orders?

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

I filed a claim on one of those once about 6 months ago...literally nothing ever happened.

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

I hate using pwe so i use flat semi rigid, but all dimensions and the ratio is within the standards for the program...I was actually kinda wondering if the machines were were somehow chewing them up or making the labels illegible due to it not being pwe...but i should be able to use anything that is within the parameters...

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

I'm aware of the insurance, but the 1 claim i filed went literally nowhere and its been ages...got an email confirmation, but nothing after and there's no way to actually track claims because of course there isnt.

As for the mailer itself...7 x 5 semi rigid cardboard mailers...ironically i received a "test" shipment fr ebay not too long ago where they were apparently testing literally the exact kind of mailer I use.

They're heavier and more expensive, but i take pride in delivering undamaged cards

..every card is also in a top loader and a team bag.  You may be on to something though..maybe mine are a bit too rigid and it messes up the scanning and/or causes them to get lost.  The tracking is extremely Inconsistent...never shows all the hops, but sometimes has some of them...oh and for added fun..quite often the tracking will tell the buyer that the item is DELIVERED, the day before it actually gets delivered.  Getting marked as delivered when it reaches final hope, no idea how or why.

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

Would you be so kind as to share a link to the mailer you use??? Much appreciated!

Message 15 of 60
latest reply