cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAX DEDUCTION

ARE THEY GOING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL STATUS WHERE YOU CAN MAKE UP TO 20,000?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

TAX DEDUCTION

1009Ks will not be issued for 2023 unless you exceed $20k or your state has a lower limit.

You are still required to report the income to the IRS.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

Wait....What?

From $600 to $20K? 

Is there a link? I wanna read it for myself?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

You do understand that all this uproar is over at what point --  that is, at what dollar amount -- eBay is required to issue a 1099K.  That's it.  It's just a form.  It has nothing to do with your tax liability. 

Whether or not your must file a federal or state income tax return and, if you do file, what tax you may owe on the income is unaffected by getting a 1099 form, whether the form is issued at $2 or at $2K or at $20K or at $200K.

There are various 1099s -- 1099K, 1099-MSC, 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-NEC, etc. -- and getting any one of them, at any dollar level, for any reason, does not affect your tax liability. 

-

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

That's just when Ebay has to report your income.

You having to report your income hasn't changed., so you still have to report it.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

Looks like you are pushing $20k in just the past 3 months of sales; did you just start selling about 90 days ago? (otherwise looks like you'll get one anyway)

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

@kensgiftshop wrote:

That's just when Ebay has to report your income.

You having to report your income hasn't changed., so you still have to report it.

These threads certainly do make it clear why the 1099K threshold is being lowered, though.  Gosh!  (And I wish they'd just set it at one dollar.)

-

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

All the 1099 is a form sent if you go over X amount, it has NOTHING to do with what taxes you owe even if the amount of money that passes to you is far less. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Looks like you are pushing $20k in just the past 3 months of sales; did you just start selling about 90 days ago? (otherwise looks like you'll get one anyway)

Member since 2002.  Over 18,000 items sold.

-

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

Thanks for the Link. But this looks like a temporary reprieve. Unless something radically changes, with which the IRS is more than unlikely, this will be re-visited and enforced starting next year. No way Uncle Sticky Fingers is going to walk away from digging their grubby paws ever deeper into the Middle Class's pockets. 

Now if you're making 7 figures or more a year, living in your own little Ivory Tower, able to buy yourself a decent Tax Attorney, that's a different story..

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

I'm started to get an inkling that the scofflaws won't pay up until they're caught by the IRS or compelled by a 1099.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

I'm started to get an inkling that the scofflaws won't pay up until they're caught by the IRS or compelled by a 1099.

Of course they will not. And they will continue to have an unfair advantage over sellers who play it straight, too.

My take on the whole thing is that when the government moves to do something about a huge underground economy of tax dodgers, sellers of stolen merchandise, money launderers, drug dealers, human traffickers, foreign nationals working unlawfully, terrorist cells, and general scofflaws, that's okay by me and to my overall benefit.

-

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

@baptized_by_fire wrote:

Thanks for the Link. But this looks like a temporary reprieve. Unless something radically changes, with which the IRS is more than unlikely, this will be re-visited and enforced starting next year. No way Uncle Sticky Fingers is going to walk away from digging their grubby paws ever deeper into the Middle Class's pockets. 

Now if you're making 7 figures or more a year, living in your own little Ivory Tower, able to buy yourself a decent Tax Attorney, that's a different story..

So... your ok with tax evasion as long as you make less than $1,000,000 a year? 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

TAX DEDUCTION

eBay has made a formal announcement:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/IRS-announces-another-delay-of-the-600-reporting-thresho...

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply