cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched two packages and cannot get hold of one customer. Okay to use phone number?

I switched two boxes by mistake and sent them to the wrong customers. They were the same size. One customer has reached out and really wants her purchased item. I cannot get a hold of the other customer by email. Is it okay to use the phone number that they supply?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switched two packages and cannot get hold of one customer. Okay to use phone number?

@milkweed wrote:

I switched two boxes by mistake and sent them to the wrong customers. They were the same size. One customer has reached out and really wants her purchased item. I cannot get a hold of the other customer by email. Is it okay to use the phone number that they supply?

I assume that one buyer has already contacted you, I would send a message to the other buyer and if you do not hear from them I would call them, acting proactively will help mitigate the damage and there is something about a phone call and the buyer might possibly realizing that they are dealing with a human that made a mistake and is trying to fix it.

WE have had the exact same thing happen and we ended up calling one of them, it all worked out but ended up mailing a return label to one who did not have a printer.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Switched two packages and cannot get hold of one customer. Okay to use phone number?

You can but they are not obligated to return the item.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@milkweed wrote:

I assume that one buyer has already contacted you, I would send a message to the other buyer and if you do not hear from them I would call them, acting proactively will help mitigate the damage and there is something about a phone call and the buyer might possibly realizing that they are dealing with a human that made a mistake and is trying to fix it.

WE have had the exact same thing happen and we ended up calling one of them, it all worked out but ended up mailing a return label to one who did not have a printer.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

correct, they are not but many will

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Contacting the shipper to intercept the package could be an option.    USPS has this service.   From Google, it appears so does UPS and FedEx has redirecting the package (if shipped this way, maybe it is possible to redirect to the correct buyer.)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

Sure but in most cases they want the item they ordered instead of something some other person ordered.

In any event it's Spring Break for a lot of people so calling might be the best way to contact them and it's quite possible they don't even know they have received the wrong item because they are not home to open it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@abethkap wrote:

Contacting the shipper to intercept the package could be an option.    USPS has this service.   From Google, it appears so does UPS and FedEx has redirecting the package (if shipped this way, maybe it is possible to redirect to the correct buyer.)

It's only an option if the package hasn't been delivered yet. But it sounds like the seller sent both items at the same time so both were likely delivered. 

FWiW, I've attempted package recalls on 2 different occasions and neither was returned. I don't think USPS puts  a lot of effort into finding and returning an item.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Use ebay messages. I haven't been given my  buyers email address managed payments took over years ago. Yes, of course you can call them. That's why they give you the phone number. I think this has probably happened to all of us. Since I made this costly mistake, I only pack and print labels one item at a time.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much for your help!! I did end up calling the second customer. Turns out she prefers talking on the phone. I had them send the packages to each other and refunded their shipping cost. I am waiting for the packages to arrive. I refunded the shipping costs because one did not have a printer.

I am still nervous about the whole situation. And I am hoping it will be ending soon!!

Thanks!!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply