cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise, surprise, surprise! eBay comes through on a damaged return.

I'm positive I am the only seller here who didn't know this, as many will chime in and tell me after my posting this.

Recently I had a return on a 24k GP Badge($84) that I had sold. I mailed it to the buyer in a padded envelope placed inside a small box. Yet the buyer returned it only in the padded envelope. I received it yesterday and it had a USPS sticker alerting the package had been damaged. Sure enough, the badge was now bent. I figured, Oh, great here we go. I chatted with eBay on what were my options as I do not get many returns. Could I hold back $20 to take it to a jeweler to have straightened out, etc? To my surprise, the CS agent stated that since the item was returned via an eBay-provided label we were both covered. He provided the full refund to the buyer and I would not have to refund. He closed the case, all in about 30 seconds on chat. He also stated I could keep the item and even resell it if I wanted to. Dang, I guess as my wife claims, I don't know everything - including this eBay benefit. I just won't tell her about this though. Have a good weekend people!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Surprise, surprise, surprise! eBay comes through on a damaged return.

It boils down to eBay protection for the buyer in returns when you purchase their label.  I know in the past I have had to mail an item back as it was not as I expected. I questioned the insurance thing with an eBay Rep several times. Each time, I was told any loss or damage that occurs during transit is covered under their buyer protection only if eBay provides the return label.  This is the first time I have tested this, and they were correct.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You are Right. This Has Never Been an eBay Policy as far as I can Recall.

Sellers Pay for Buyer Returns and Need to Refund Buyers for Any Reason.

Only Top Rated Sellers with Free Returns may Deduct an Amount from the Refund if an Item

is Returned in Condition Different from How it Was Sent. eBay has Never Paid

Me for Any Buyer Returns in the 24 Years I have been a Member. But I guess Anything

is Possible.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Well now, that's great.  As long as you didn't earn yourself a defect in the process.  
Maybe just me, but I don't believe one word that comes out of the standard CS rep's mouth....or typing fingers.  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

We always say eBay phone reps tell you what you want to hear and it sounds like you hit the jackpot.  I’ve never heard of the protection as you described above.  You would have qualified for the limited partial refund for a faulty return, since you are a TRS and offer a 30 day refund policy, but lucky you got everything back.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Nope, no defect was received. eBay rep even stated so.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It boils down to eBay protection for the buyer in returns when you purchase their label.  I know in the past I have had to mail an item back as it was not as I expected. I questioned the insurance thing with an eBay Rep several times. Each time, I was told any loss or damage that occurs during transit is covered under their buyer protection only if eBay provides the return label.  This is the first time I have tested this, and they were correct.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@oldwestgold wrote:

Recently I had a return on a 24k GP Badge($84) that I had sold. I mailed it to the buyer in a padded envelope placed inside a small box. Yet the buyer returned it only in the padded envelope. I received it yesterday and it had a USPS sticker alerting the package had been damaged. Sure enough, the badge was now bent.

To my surprise, the CS agent stated that since the item was returned via an eBay-provided label we were both covered. He provided the full refund to the buyer and I would not have to refund.

The part I bolded above is key. If buyer paid for return ship and it was an eBay-generated label, eBay will often cover loss or damage in shipping, if damage is confirmed by USPS.

Generally speaking, if USPS had not confirmed damage in transit, then any damage would be attributed to the buyer's packing and not the carrier, in which case the seller would (if covered by seller protections for TRS) be able to withhold part of the refund.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Sometimes, the pure uneducated aspect of ebay customer service actually works in your favor.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Excellent to know. Thank You.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It's good to see a positive post!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

How can a seller speak with an eBay rep. now? When I call eBay's telephone number I am always referred to their website. Would appreciate your help.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

This wasn't a phone conversation but an online chat.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Best to chat with them usually, as you then have a transcript to prove what was said (though whether even that matters is often up for debate). If you really want to speak to them on the phone for some reason still, just type "agent" in the chat and if they have phone support available at that time it'll be an option offered to you.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply