cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangest sale I have ever made following other weirdness

OK, just a brief summary, I had a non-paying bidder followed by a flake sending me emails (in hard to read english) trying to low ball the price.  I block this buyer,  relist as a BIN with IPR and it finally sold and is paid for.  Now here's the kicker, after all the previous weirdness, get this, it's being shipped to Houston, Texas, yup right where the storm is right now where they are predicting 24 inches of rain over the next several days   open_mouth

So I hope the guy is safe and has no damage to his home and belonings but I guess this will be a delayed shipment.  Course not being able to ship within three days having recently started selling with this account will screw up my rating on ebay, affect how fast the money will be released, (provided the buyer will be able to go through with the sale) and it looks like it affects seller protection through PayPal.  

All I can say is it's been interesting so far.  Think I might take a break in ebay selling for a short while after this one.  zipper_mouth

Message 1 of 100
latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

Re: Strangest sale I have ever made following other weirdness

@scottlmusic wrote:
 ... I guess this will be a delayed shipment.  Course not being able to ship within three days having recently started selling with this account will screw up my rating on ebay ...

Are you sure it's set up for 3-day handdling?  As one of the other posters advised: Ship it as planned and let UPS worry about any potential delivery complications.

Message 16 of 100
latest reply

For what it's worth, the USPS website says they're keeping close watch on the storm.  What that means as far as delivery of items, I don't know, but I doubt they'd deliver during hurricane-force winds.  Rain, sleet, and snow are all covered in their creedo, but not hurricanes.  😉

Message 17 of 100
latest reply

@scottlmusic wrote:

OK, just a brief summary, I had a non-paying bidder followed by a flake sending me emails (in hard to read english) trying to low ball the price.  I block this buyer,  relist as a BIN with IPR and it finally sold and is paid for.  Now here's the kicker, after all the previous weirdness, get this, it's being shipped to Houston, Texas, yup right where the storm is right now where they are predicting 24 inches of rain over the next several days   open_mouth

So I hope the guy is safe and has no damage to his home and belonings but I guess this will be a delayed shipment.  Course not being able to ship within three days having recently started selling with this account will screw up my rating on ebay, affect how fast the money will be released, (provided the buyer will be able to go through with the sale) and it looks like it affects seller protection through PayPal.  

All I can say is it's been interesting so far.  Think I might take a break in ebay selling for a short while after this one.  zipper_mouth

No worries. Ebay is giving leniency due to the storms in our area due to Harvey. To buyers or sellers. You won't get a ding. 

RRR
Message 18 of 100
latest reply

@scottlmusic wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I understand that Texas is fairly large. Your buyers may not be in the hurricane -hit region.

He's in the thick of it at the moment in Houston

And to be honest with you, his order is the last thing on his mind right now. 

RRR
Message 19 of 100
latest reply

you have Internet! 😄
Message 20 of 100
latest reply

Be safe.  And that goes for all of you in the thick of it.

Message 21 of 100
latest reply

Not everyone in Houston is flooded. Parts of the city are notorious for flooding but not everyone floods.
This is a historic flood but if it's not flooded, the mail man will deliver no matter how hard it is raining. I would mail his package. If it gets delayed, it won't be your mistake and he will surely get it. If it's flooded at his residence, the post office will hold it for him.
Message 22 of 100
latest reply

Not all of the houses are flooded.  You should send his package so it is scanned. The opost office will do everything they can to make sure he gets it. If you are not flooded there is no reason why you can't ship his package.

Message 23 of 100
latest reply

I live in Houston and my neighborhood is not flooded at all

Message 24 of 100
latest reply

Same with me. No flooding, lots of rain. My local Randalls is still open and if my mailman can get here tomorrow he will be here. What you see on the news are either the areas that always flood or homes that got destroyed by isolated tornadoes
Message 25 of 100
latest reply

There are no hurricane force winds in Houston. The Hurricane made landfall in Corpus. We are getting the outer bands of rain and some areas are flooded and there is lots of rain and there have been a few tornadoes. If the mailman can deliver his package, he will They won't just close because it's raining.

Message 26 of 100
latest reply

If he does not ship the package he will get a ding. He's not in Texas. He's shipping to Texas. Unless he can't ship because the storm is affecting his ability to do so, he will get a ding.

If the buyer is flooded and the post office can't get his package to him, he will not get a ding because he did his part. He need to upload tracking and get the package scanned. It's his obligation.  Every house in Houston is not flooded.

Message 27 of 100
latest reply

Luckily, yes. Constant rain for 3 days, but I am fortunate. I am far enough from the coast not to get the brunt of it. I live near Austin.

Message 28 of 100
latest reply

so, i was planning on shipping it out in the next couple of days with no signature confirmation and this pops into my head: what if this guy evacuated and it is good enough to deliver and nobody is home.
Message 29 of 100
latest reply

I would get Signature Confirmation for sure.

it is high ticket, it is electronics which is a sometimes problem area, and you don't want a postal clerk leaving it in the rain. If no one is home to sign for it, they'll hold it at the post office till the person picks it up

Get a range of responses and suggestions on this board, because there is some very unhelpful and even completely false 'advice' given here sometimes

Message 30 of 100
latest reply