cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waiting..

Actually, I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years through two accounts. Over this time eBay has continued to take advantage, drip-drip.. The last-straw for us was the eBay PL Pay-to-Play scam, not a drip-drip, more like wave-wave.

eBay has lost (half) of it's market value this year, in turn, this platform is covering the core growth losses by going after sellers with said Pay-to-Play. All of this while selling expenses are already at their highest for sellers. 

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away. Good luck fellow sellers.   

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: (Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waitin

I hadn't spent much time in the community here lately... The way some people here are allowed to treat others in this thread is a great reminder of why. Rather than contributing anything constructive, the efforts are instead spent on chasing sellers away from eBay.

Priorities.

Message 121 of 135
latest reply

Re: (Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waitin

@zamo-zuan wrote:

Rather than contributing anything constructive, the efforts are instead spent on chasing sellers away from eBay.

I admit that I did not read this whole topic but that I believe no one chased this seller away. They voluntarily came here to tell everyone they are leaving.

Message 122 of 135
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

Rather than contributing anything constructive, the efforts are instead spent on chasing sellers away from eBay.

I admit that I did not read this whole topic but that I believe no one chased this seller away. They voluntarily came here to tell everyone they are leaving.

And how many people were "friendly" enough to remind him to leave? 

Let's be honest, the goal was obviously just to mock him for still being here. Either there was an attempt to rush him out the door, or there was an attempt to mock him. You could call it what you like, but that doesn't serve any constructive purpose. 

Nobody needs to be rushed to leave or else face being mocked.

And that's exactly the point of my post. It's not a healthy environment here, not for readers, and especially not healthy for the posters. The OP has already shared difficulties, so to be treated the way he has been, is just icing on the cake.

Which is worse, having to leave as a long time seller, or being disrespected by others in the community and eBay allowing it?

Message 123 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb   ahh, yes, i read your post, nowhere does it say you have an end of the year exit plan.

that's why we are saying what we are saying about you still having over 2K listings up almost 3 months since your post saying 'you r one of the lucky ones who can afford to walk away' and wishing us Good Luck.

speaking for myself, i was interested to know what changed your mind about leaving, perhaps helping others who feel the same way.

Good Luck to u 2 !!

Message 124 of 135
latest reply

It's all over the thread just read the first two pages, ( yet, you already knew that ).. Fine

More importantly I wanted to express my reasons for leaving. So to shed light on what eBay has become.     

Good day

Message 125 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb   I apologize, but I am going by your post>

"Actually, I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years through two accounts. Over this time eBay has continued to take advantage, drip-drip.. The last-straw for us was the eBay PL Pay-to-Play scam, not a drip-drip, more like wave-wave.

eBay has lost (half) of it's market value this year, in turn, this platform is covering the core growth losses by going after sellers with said Pay-to-Play. All of this while selling expenses are already at their highest for sellers. 

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away. Good luck fellow sellers."

______________----------____________-----_______________---------------______________--------------_________

I don't know about any other pages

Message 126 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

You could empty out your store, wait until the break-even point (a year subscription usually saves about three months' store fee - that's the reason for the early termination fee) and then pull the plug.  I sure wouldn't be giving eBay the early termination fee if it was more than a few bucks - that's like getting mad at someone, handing them $100 or whatever and storming off. 

Indeed valid point, only my time is worth more to me than a $200 termination fee. Looking forward, they'll need all the free money they can get. We put the 12/31 exit date in the place after they went nuclear with the Pay-to-Play scams.   

This was mentioned on page 2. 

But taking a moment to look where the OP had mentioned wouldn't allow people to try to make him look like a liar for any readers... So I guess it's accuse first, regardless of what false interpretations it might give members of the community.

Message 127 of 135
latest reply

ebay would be in a better position to sell more if they would keep their fees down.

What eBay sells is eyeballs, payment processing,and some mediation services.

Only the sellers do any selling.

While some sellers constantly drop out,more join.

EBay's business is profitable, and those profits are distributed by dividends to shareholders. About 88c per share so far this year.

It may be that the best way to make money on eBay would be to buy eBay stock, and collect those dividends.

I think many get very discouraged nowadays trying to sell with such incredible expenses to buy merch, pay for higher and higher shipping, pay more taxes and whatever get’s thrown in the sellers way.

• such incredible expenses to buy merch,--not under eBay control
  • pay for higher and higher shipping-- not under eBay control
  • pay more taxes-- not under eBay control

The rise in the US dollar and the subsequent fall in the loonie, means that as a Canadian seller I am paying less for my (thrifted) products.  That has more to do with Biden and Trudeau than eBay.

I control my shipping costs by using cheap untracked services, because the cheapest tracked service to the USA would be$12.56 for an item under 200gr/~3oz.  That has more to do with my own decision to trust that most people are honest than eBay.

Death and taxes. I can't control either, nor can eBay.

Message 128 of 135
latest reply

@gamersbaystore getting people to leave feedback that's a pain. You dont get paid until they rate you

NO.

New, occasional, and questionable sellers have  a  30 day Hold on customer payments, but that wears off with time and successfully completed transactions.

Sellers can choose to have daily or monthly payouts, but most go with the default weekly payout on Tuesdays.

Its true you can bid on anything on the platform, that doesn't means sellers have to accept them though.

I think you mean that buyers can make a Best Offer on any listing, even if the seller did not add that option.

Which is true, a recent change  and annoys the heck out of some sellers.

As you say, sellers can accept,refuse, counter-offer or ignore any BO.

Message 129 of 135
latest reply

This isn't an airport.

You don't have to announce your departure.

Message 130 of 135
latest reply

I agree with everything you stated with one exception. At least in the category that I sell in, US Coins, Mercari will never surpass eBay. At the moment Mercari shows 3,800 listings in the US Coin category. eBay shows almost 1.4 million listings presently.  And leafing through some of the Mercari listings, I see mostly junk and counterfeit coins. Clearly, anyone doing serious business in coins would not migrate to Mercari as they just don't have the buyer protections set up that eBay has over the years. Other than that, you hit the nail on the head. I recently sold a $200 token and ended up with $160 after fees and Priority shipping. Also, I am fortunate to use a third-party insurance company which saves a ton compared to USPS insurance - probably 90%. I would agree eBay continues to be late out of the gate with innovations.  As a retired IT Mgr of one of the largest companies in the world, it boggles my mind to see a lot of their programming failures. Absolutely no excuse for them. Thanks for the post and good luck!

Message 131 of 135
latest reply

Promoted listings actually work, at least for me.  They have their up and down periods during the month, but I find they generally sell more for me.  And most of my listings are only 2.4% PL. I jack the price up a few bucks to compensate for it. Exposure - it's all about exposure.  Good luck, but I have a feeling you won't be going anywhere. Have a good one!

Message 132 of 135
latest reply

I've been selling for 22yrs. eBay has run its course. It's become more of a burden for me. No sales or extremely low sales. Cutting my ties now. Marking down all items. Plenty of other places to sell. To be honest I would rather donate my items to someone who can use them. Adios, eBay

Message 133 of 135
latest reply

Yes it’s too bad, now it’s all just cheap Chinese junk and re sellers of broken goods. 

Message 134 of 135
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 135 of 135
latest reply