cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starts dinged on shipping time

I thought buyers were not allowed to leave a star rating on shipping time if your tracking information proves you shipped next day?  I sold many items in Nov/Dec.  Every single one of them was shipped same or next business day with shipping info automatically recorded since the labels were printed directly through ebay/paypal.

I have gotten 8 positive feedback so far out of 19 sales and one or more of them rated me low on shipping time.

There have been many times I have left FB for a seller where there was not even an option to rate the shipping time.  Why does this apply to some but not all?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Starts dinged on shipping time

"automatic 5 requirement for delivery within 4 business days of payment"?  I shipped everything that was paid for Friday morning.  I still made a few more sales on Friday and Saturday.  I have until Thursday the 28th to get them as well as anything else that sells today or tomorrow shipped.  I have a 3 day handling time.  What you are saying is that I won't get automatic 5 stars on shipping unless these items are RECEIVED by Friday--the 4th business day from payment even though I'm not required to ship until Thursday?  What about 1st class packages?  Even if I shipped next day they wouldn't be delivered on the 4th business day after payment. 

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

You won't get the auto-5 because you don't have 1-day handling.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

If I did and I sold an item on Monday I would have to have it shipped Tuesday.  Mail doesn't leave my post office in WI. until 5:00 PM Tuesday.  It usually doesn't get scanned into the sorting center until early morning Wednesday and usually leaves the sorting center that night.  We are already out 2 days since payment.  It has to be through the sorting centers and to the buyers post office sorted & scanned as DELIVERED in Ca. or Fl. or wherever by Friday.  Even with 1 day handling I wouldn't get automatic 5 stars if this is the case.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:
 ... shipped Tuesday.  Mail doesn't leave my post office in WI. until 5:00 PM Tuesday.  It usually doesn't get scanned into the sorting center until early morning Wednesday and usually leaves the sorting center that night.  We are already out 2 days since payment.  ....

That is a distinct disadvantage of your location.  I live near a major city and if I drop off a package at my local PO any time before closing (6 PM),  it will be at the sorting center by 8 PM that night and on its way to its next destination before midnight.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

That on top of the fact that for the last month packages are going from my post office to the sorting center in Oak Creek and then to ANOTHER sorting center in Cudahy before even leaving the state.  I still wouldn't want the convenience of a big city~~I like my little town of 500 in the middle of "nowhere".  We're so backwoods we only have one stoplight in the whole county and 2 fast food joints~~a Burger King & McDonalds across the street from each other in the one town.  That's it.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

All of my items have free shipping, so that's also puzzling.  Nobody should have been able to rate my shipping time but they did.

I don't state anything in my listing about shipping time but I always send the buyer a message after the purchase stating that it will be shipped same day or next day.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@zeedeejay wrote:

All of my items have free shipping, so that's also puzzling.  Nobody should have been able to rate my shipping time but they did.

I don't state anything in my listing about shipping time but I always send the buyer a message after the purchase stating that it will be shipped same day or next day.

Free shipping and shipping time have nothing to do with each other.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@zeedeejay wrote:

I made a mistake last night with my initail post which was #6 in this thread.

I then attempted to clarify my mistake that I made in post #6 by making another post #10 which states:

"I apologize zeedeejay part of my statement in post #6 was incorrect.

"You have to offer FREE SHIPPING to remove the buyers ability to rate your shipping time." cost

And shipping cost FREE or otherwise is not relevant to your original question or this conversation, I apologize for the bad information, or for any confusion that this may have caused you."

I realized  my mistake once I had read partial*eclipse's response in post #8, which is the correct answer. Thank you partial*eclipse.

@ partial*eclipse posted the correct information in post #8. 

@zeedeejay wrote:

I thought buyers were not allowed to leave a star rating on shipping time if your tracking information proves you shipped next day? ....

That is required but not sufficient.  In order to get the automatic "5" for shipping time, your tracking must also show delivery within 4 business days.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 3.30.14 AM.png

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

Delivery does have to be made within 4 buisness days for a seller to receive the automatic "5" star rating for shipping time. Once again I do apologozize for iniatialy giving you the incorrect information. 

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

OP's concern was that he printed his labels and the tracking numbers were entered on the same or next day.  That doesn't prove shipping as ebay requires a acceptance scan within his stated shipping/handling time.  I purchased an item not long ago where the seller printed the label on Friday~~the same day I purchased BUT tracking showed it as picked up by USPS the following Friday and I finally received it the following Wednesday.  Did he think that printing the label would save him from getting a late shipping defect?

If you read my original post, I ship all packages same or next business day. Not just create the label but actually ship. 

I checked my listings and 2 day handling time is selected.  I assume that is the default because I don't recall ever changing it.

I did have one package that took 2 weeks to get to the buyer.  Of the 21 items I sold, this was the ONLY ONE where the buyer needed it in 5 business days before leaving for a vacation and it was the ONLY ONE that did not get to its destination in 4 days or less.  Don't it figure?  It was shipped in Nov, not even during the holiday rush.  That is probably the buyer that dinged my stars, even though she knew I shipped it the following morning and tracking showed as such.

Dashboard:

Untitled-1.jpg

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

There's really no point in sweating an imperfect SHIPPING TIME rate.  Even if you upload 100% of your tracking number in time and 100% of them get acceptance scanned, you can't control the actual IN TRANSIT time - which, remember, includes the amount of time a package may sit unclaimed at the post office because the buyer doesn't go to get it.  Or any other delay in getting a DELIVERY scan.   PLUS the fact that some of your sales may show an expected delivery date that is physically impossible  because it's based on your past practice and not on the actual method of shipping offered (e.g. a media mail sale may show an expected delivery date that isn't practical but what selected because you usually ship by Priority and don't normally sell books - just an example)

My own account shows 100% uploaded on time and .23% late shipping.  Yet I have shipped 100% of my items on time.

Since its outside of my control, I'm not going to sweat it any more.  

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 25 of 25
latest reply