cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label.

I shipped several items, and needed to void and create 2 of them. Now when I go to ship, I get this error.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label.

I'm just trying to ship one item, and the automatic "print label" always works fine. Except for today. I get the same message with no explanation or link to learn more.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

There has been a lot of seller hub problems today, that may have extended into the shipping program.  Try again later or go to PP and generate your shipping label.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

I'm having the exact same issue.  I'm thinking their system is down... I will try again in the morning.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

It's April 2, 2020.  Still broken 3 days after the first seller reported this.

Come on eBay - get this fixed.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

Had this issue, went to PayPal transaction to print the label. Paypal informed me the Name was messed up. I then noticed the ship to name had a Number/letter sequence after it.
I went back to ebay, dropped that sequence to the second line of the ship to (Business), and it allowed me to print the label.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

So what is the outcome of this error? 

I still am getting the same error, Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Now I'm getting it too. 

Did anyone verify a fix?  Or is "try it again tomorrow" the fix?

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Edit:  It was an APO address and the customer selected FedEx, which will not deliver to an APO.  It must be USPS for APO addresses.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

me too come on ebay get it together its hard enough to sell on your site.  WHy in the @!#$$#  does ebay always have to change something that is working just fine i think they want to implode.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

As of October 11th 2020 I'm having the same problem - trying to print international label to china using Ebay shipping method (not usps) and when I click purchase label it gives me this:

Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label.

No further explanation... So frustrating.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

Hey there @nexpolaris , I have had this same problem. I even lost a $100 international sale because of it. I talked with them on the phone and that was a big waste of time. Today it was happening again. But I realized it was because I was changing the dimensions and weight around. I think that the eBay Standard Delivery will not work if a seller changes anything, or if the international buyer chose a different shipping method on their end. If they choose eBay Standard Shipping, and all the weight/dimensions don't need adjusting, then the label prints fine. 

If I am correct for this being the cause of the error, eBay needs to change this in a quickness. It is basically impossible to expect a seller to have the exact weight/dimensions on a piece, or to expect a seller to stick to the very first option provided at the time of creating the listing. Sometimes I can get things in a smaller package than I thought, and I can save the buyer some money by changing the shipping method. That is what happened with my first sale when I changed the dimensions so I could have the piece go eBay Standard. Then I canceled the sold transaction to start over, so they could choose eBay Standard Shipping, and the buyer just went ghost on me. Lost $100. Thanks eBay!  

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@nexpolaris 

@urbanrummage 

I sold a $300 item to China a couple weeks ago, using the same service, eBay International Standard Delivery. I got exactly the same problem: "Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label."

I went to the "Contact eBay" page and requested a call-back. Five minutes later eBay called me. The Rep didn't believe it and asked me to try the shipping label again while we were on the call. I did, and it did the same thing. 

The Rep suggested sending via USPS. I said OK, but it had to be tracked to the buyer's address and in my experience that meant USPS Priority Express. The Rep said OK and that I would be refunded the extra $43 that would cost.

The Reb was good to their word, and 2 days later I got a $43 credit to my eBay account. So maybe sometimes you get a good rep, but it sure would be better if eBay International Standard to China worked.

At least the label app should give you some feedback on the problem "Something went wrong" is a dead end. The old app used to highlight the problematic field in red.  In many cases with that hint you could resolve issues yourself.  The current situation is bad for buyer and seller, not to mention eBay's shareholders.

Mike

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

I got the "something went wrong" message, called ebay and they said since it's an APO address (military overseas but a US address) I have to bring it to the Post Office and do a Customs Declaration there in person. I went on Pirate Ship and they allow you to do a customs declaration, and it prints out with your shipping label. 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@burpystreasurechest wrote:

I got the "something went wrong" message, called ebay and they said since it's an APO address (military overseas but a US address) I have to bring it to the Post Office and do a Customs Declaration there in person. I went on Pirate Ship and they allow you to do a customs declaration, and it prints out with your shipping label. 

@burpystreasurechest 

It is unfortunate but happens all the time.  You got some very bad advice from the person you talked to.  These labels can be printed on Ebay.  There may have been some temporary problem, but normally we can print them here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 45
latest reply