cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something has changed here

I'm trying very hard to find out what it is. My sales have dropped to almost nothing. Could it be all the changes ebay is making? Everyone says clothing is a saturated market, but it's not more saturated now than it was a few months ago. Something else is wrong. Offering free returns, 3 day guarantee deliver and free shipping does not make any difference.  Things weren't that bad until a few months ago, now no sales. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the UPC codes. I've called ebay a few times, and they don't even know how anything is suppose to work, how are we suppose to figure it out? I guess I'll sell this inventory and move on.      

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: Something has changed here

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Hi, @turquoisetulips, always enjoy reading your posts. 

I just had a quick thought—eBayers who sell internationally know that countries in the southern hemisphere are now experiencing spring, followed quickly by summer in December.

If the OP is open to foreign markets, warm-weather items might still be pertinent.

Unless it is a hard to find designer items, why would people in the southern hemisphere pay high shipping charges for common clothes that they can buy in their own countries.

And for some like australia, well they have their own ebay to buy from.

As for the cities experiencing hot weather, here in RI temps are supposed to get summer like for a few days.  That means I will keep some of my summer outfits out of the cedar chest until it gets cooler.  I am not going to go out and buy more (unless stores are practically giving them way) when summer is pretty much down for the count.

I lived in Australia for two years. The United States has far more merchandise than what is available there. And i found the prices there to be far more expensive for both staple and designer goods as compared to the States. Those two factors could possibly tip the scales in favor of shopping on ebay.com.

We live in a global community now. I have sold all kinds of things, incuding clothing, to international buyers. They bought items from me they couldn't find in their home countries. As a seller, i dont want to overlook international buyers and the potential in those markets.

I have sold diamond jewelry to Australia in the past, and while I understand my item is valued at thousands of dollars, it was very expensive to ship there.  This was years ago when I still sold Internationally and I believe it was between $125 and $150.  But diamond jewelry is prohibitive in cost there so they did not mind at all.

So yes with certain things I can understand, but with common clothing, what would it cost to ship it there.  Is it worth it for most buyers when I am sure they have clothing stores down under and unless it is a designer item they can manage to clothe themselves.

So yes I can understand the potential for International markets, a risk I no longer take, but it would have to depend on the item in question and if the cost to ship makes it no longer a sound purchase.

Message 31 of 84
latest reply

@sicario_soldado wrote:

Thanks for asking, people like you, buyers and sellers, many here have good ideas. The location is not the same, its become autocratic at the very least. We're selling to strong demand, we're doing just fine Thank You. So we base it on performance, other venues are performing better. We never said we did badly while we were here, we just have a bigger demand elsewhere. And your right, things have changed, its not just Location, Location, Location anymore more...Venue, Venue, Venue. sunglasses

I tried the other E.  I hated it as both a buyer and a seller.  There you cannot filter out words.  So a buyer looking for diamonds has to scroll past all the moissanite and cz because you cannot filter it out.

Also as a buyer everytime you put in a search it goes back to the default.  So if you are like me and do multiple ones in several categories, it is a pita.

The river is not the place for the merchandise I sell.  I looked at the other venues and very little in my categories.

For me there is no competition unless I could design my own site.  First, absolutely no ability, seecond I am sure I am not a household name.

So unless there is some magic oasis out there I do not know about, for many ebay is still our best choice or even only one.

Yes, there are a lot of problems on ebay.  In my category, the biggest problem is the drop shipper.  Second it is all those keyword spamming and listing in the wrong categories hoping to get better views.

If ebay eliminated just those two areas, I bet my sales would improve.

But I also understand people are not coming on and spending thousands on a ring.  They have to think about it, save for it.  Also many wait for an occassion.  I do well at certain times of the year - Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Engagement and anniversary jewelry.  I do not expect sales 24/7.  I am a want, not a need.

And imo I see the problem with clothes sellers.  I remember when used clothes first became a thing.  It was high priced, designer items, lightly worn  What ruined that category was all the Salvation Army, Goodwill, Walmart used clothes.  I can catch a sale at Macy's and often buy new for cheaper.  If ebay had minimum standards as to what was allowed to be listed like Pos*, the rest of you would do a lot better.

And there is no denying that clothing stores are running constant sales.  Flea markets and yard sales are everywhere.  So unless you are selling something really interesting and exclusive, buyers are going to click right past you.

Now you say other venues are doing better.  Is it because they are much smaller so you have less competition?  Because that is the problem I see with ebay.  Way too many listings.  Too many that will be parked there for eternity because they are not sellable.  Way too many duplicates.  Too much overpriced merchandise.  Too much junk.

And yes, they are probably taking a toll on ebay's system causing all these glitches.  It is also turning off buyers who just do not want to have to wade through it.

As far as ebay's rules, you have to have rules to survive, but I do agree some are not well thought out.  And throw in inept ebay cs, and I see why sellers are frustrated.

Ebay imo needs a revamp.  They need to totally shut down and fix things, not just put temporary band aids on them.  They need imput from knowledgable sellers and buyers.

But you cannot blame this all on ebay.  Sellers are complicit as well with their work arounds and their dishonest listings, and their me me me attitude.  We are all paying a price for them.

Message 32 of 84
latest reply

Wouldn't it be discouraging if you seen another seller with worse listings, higher prices, selling rapidly? While your better offering is not even getting impressions? And then to have people say "People just don't want your item"... what would your reaction be?  

I see it all the time with enhanced diamonds.  People buying them because they are cheaper.  That is until the filling falls out and they are stuck with that drill bit.  

I know you and I talked and I explained I did not understand all the techical stuff like impressions.  I am a very small seller who still does it old school.

But I have also been around the block.  I have 3 kids who have a lot of friends.  I have a lot of friends of my own.

It is the same story.  I  wanted to hand down my hummels to my children and they just looked at me.  I offered my own children my late mother's capidimonte and I got the same weird look.  My own kids do not want these items.

I am not saying it to be mean.  But times have changed, mcmansions have gone away, kids interests are different and collectors are a dying breed.

And yes I have looked at some seller's listings and it is just honesty.  I see things and scratch my head as to why they would think they are sellable items.

And yet for others I see some of the listings as an insult to buyers when I see dirty stained clothes on bathroom floors or common toys that are clearly broken and dolls missing legs and arms where sellers think just because it is from the 1950s then it must be worth alot.

And I see foolish sellers in my own dime store toys categories.  There is a well known wholesaler who sells to the public.  We all get the on line catelog.  They copy verbatim from their descriptions and their pictures making it obvious where they purchased it, mark it up 10X and wonder why buyers are not running over themselves to purchase.

Message 33 of 84
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Wouldn't it be discouraging if you seen another seller with worse listings, higher prices, selling rapidly? While your better offering is not even getting impressions? And then to have people say "People just don't want your item"... what would your reaction be?  

I see it all the time with enhanced diamonds.  People buying them because they are cheaper.  That is until the filling falls out and they are stuck with that drill bit.  

I know you and I talked and I explained I did not understand all the techical stuff like impressions.  I am a very small seller who still does it old school.

But I have also been around the block.  I have 3 kids who have a lot of friends.  I have a lot of friends of my own.

It is the same story.  I  wanted to hand down my hummels to my children and they just looked at me.  I offered my own children my late mother's capidimonte and I got the same weird look.  My own kids do not want these items.

I am not saying it to be mean.  But times have changed, mcmansions have gone away, kids interests are different and collectors are a dying breed.

And yes I have looked at some seller's listings and it is just honesty.  I see things and scratch my head as to why they would think they are sellable items.

And yet for others I see some of the listings as an insult to buyers when I see dirty stained clothes on bathroom floors or common toys that are clearly broken and dolls missing legs and arms where sellers think just because it is from the 1950s then it must be worth alot.

And I see foolish sellers in my own dime store toys categories.  There is a well known wholesaler who sells to the public.  We all get the on line catelog.  They copy verbatim from their descriptions and their pictures making it obvious where they purchased it, mark it up 10X and wonder why buyers are not running over themselves to purchase.

Yeah, I know it is honesty. I don't think it's with ill motives, or to be "mean". But even the best motives can inadvertently cause distress. I'm just trying to look out for the OP here - who is already in a stressful situation.

One of the other sellers on here recently used to have the same perspective as you, but yesterday or today was also saying she did not believe it until it happened to her.

I don't necessarily think it's a problem with the OP's items. Of course, some are going out of season, but not all. I've compared some of them to other sellers, and other sellers are actually having better performance despite higher prices, etc. I've looked for any sort of trend, and it doesn't seem any sort of trend that the other sellers have compared to her items.

One thing I have not seen yet, is that it's simply competition. Being completely honest, testing if it's competition is one of the easiest thing to test for. You make your listing more competitive, it moves up the list. Very straight forward. So far, she has not had that outcome. So it seems more likely that this is -not- a simple competitive issue.

On our own store we witnessed the same thing. We drastically outpaced our competitors offerings, yet plummetted more than 50% each month on a single listing. Once eBay fixed the statistics not adding up on our readout, suddenly the changes we make DID have a huge affect.

With our same marketing strategies, I have results from the middle, and after our issues.

During: https://www.screencast.com/t/CKBZ0BZisGiv

After: https://www.screencast.com/t/mzKBYHYJh

This is a VERY VERY drastic difference. In the first screenshot, we were at our all-time lowest prices, and actually taking a bit of a loss on our top items to see if we can get them to improve. We were not able to keep our items from dropping, no matter how appealing we made our listings.

After eBay fixed that issue on our sheets, everything suddenly shot up like a rocket, and is STILL rising.

You can see in the "After" shot, that our marketing strategies DO work. But during our issues, it was all for naught. We are still not even at the point we were at before our issues started, but our marketing team is working very hard to try to get us back to where we were. 

So I'm just trying to figure out "what" exactly is making the difference here for the OP? Is it any certain little option she can add to her listings that may resolve it? Or might it actually be a tech issue? I'm not too sure as of yet, but I'll continue giving suggestions to try to figure it out.

I think if we can help the OP by figuring that out, it would be the most constructive outcome. Certainly more so than if the OP just gave up and left - that's the outcome I'm trying to avoid.

Message 34 of 84
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Yeah, I know it is honesty. I don't think it's with ill motives, or to be "mean". But even the best motives can inadvertently cause distress. I'm just trying to look out for the OP here - who is already in a stressful situation.

One of the other sellers on here recently used to have the same perspective as you, but yesterday or today was also saying she did not believe it until it happened to her.

I don't necessarily think it's a problem with the OP's items. Of course, some are going out of season, but not all. I've compared some of them to other sellers, and other sellers are actually having better performance despite higher prices, etc. I've looked for any sort of trend, and it doesn't seem any sort of trend that the other sellers have compared to her items.

One thing I have not seen yet, is that it's simply competition. Being completely honest, testing if it's competition is one of the easiest thing to test for. You make your listing more competitive, it moves up the list. Very straight forward. So far, she has not had that outcome. So it seems more likely that this is -not- a simple competitive issue.

On our own store we witnessed the same thing. We drastically outpaced our competitors offerings, yet plummetted more than 50% each month on a single listing. Once eBay fixed the statistics not adding up on our readout, suddenly the changes we make DID have a huge affect.

With our same marketing strategies, I have results from the middle, and after our issues.

During: https://www.screencast.com/t/CKBZ0BZisGiv

After: https://www.screencast.com/t/mzKBYHYJh

This is a VERY VERY drastic difference. In the first screenshot, we were at our all-time lowest prices, and actually taking a bit of a loss on our top items to see if we can get them to improve. We were not able to keep our items from dropping, no matter how appealing we made our listings.

After eBay fixed that issue on our sheets, everything suddenly shot up like a rocket, and is STILL rising.

You can see in the "After" shot, that our marketing strategies DO work. But during our issues, it was all for naught. We are still not even at the point we were at before our issues started, but our marketing team is working very hard to try to get us back to where we were. 

So I'm just trying to figure out "what" exactly is making the difference here for the OP? Is it any certain little option she can add to her listings that may resolve it? Or might it actually be a tech issue? I'm not too sure as of yet, but I'll continue giving suggestions to try to figure it out.

I think if we can help the OP by figuring that out, it would be the most constructive outcome. Certainly more so than if the OP just gave up and left - that's the outcome I'm trying to avoid.

It is not just a simple matter of having competitive prices.  For many buyers, myself included, it is also loyalty.  I have a few sellers I buy from out of loyalty, out of trust.  I stay with them because I know I do not have to stress when I buy from them, so even paying a few extra dollars, it is worth it to me.

And if it was only tweety that had the problem, then I would say yes, her account has become corrupted through no fault of her own.  But it is many sellers across the board which makes me think that the bottom has just fallen out of the clothing market on ebay.  Buyers are going elsewhere and they have more and more venues from which to choose.  But then again, all the changes in the clothing categories probably did not help either.

I applaud your trying to help this OP figure it out.  But ebay may not necssarily be the lone culprit behind it.  It could just be a myriad of changes taking place in the clothing categories, people's changing tastes, other venues, etc. where there is just no definitive answer.

It may simply be the fact that tweety might want to consider adding in a few other types of items to see if it brings buyers in.

I used to only sell diamond and fine jewelry.  I told my self it was all I knew.  But even I have opened another ebay seller account and am trying to diversify a bit.

Message 35 of 84
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

It is not just a simple matter of having competitive prices.  For many buyers, myself included, it is also loyalty.  I have a few sellers I buy from out of loyalty, out of trust.  I stay with them because I know I do not have to stress when I buy from them, so even paying a few extra dollars, it is worth it to me.

And if it was only tweety that had the problem, then I would say yes, her account has become corrupted through no fault of her own.  But it is many sellers across the board which makes me think that the bottom has just fallen out of the clothing market on ebay.  Buyers are going elsewhere and they have more and more venues from which to choose.  But then again, all the changes in the clothing categories probably did not help either.

I applaud your trying to help this OP figure it out.  But ebay may not necssarily be the lone culprit behind it.  It could just be a myriad of changes taking place in the clothing categories, people's changing tastes, other venues, etc. where there is just no definitive answer.

It may simply be the fact that tweety might want to consider adding in a few other types of items to see if it brings buyers in.

I used to only sell diamond and fine jewelry.  I told my self it was all I knew.  But even I have opened another ebay seller account and am trying to diversify a bit.

About loyalty - Agreed. Actually that's how we first realized our issues. Some of our regulars & locals were not able to find our items & contacted us about it. From that point, we made it a regular duty to search our own items & find any that have this issue, if we have it, we update listing. 

Regarding only Tweety having the prob or not, you see both sides of that coin on here honestly. Some say it not happening to many people is an indicator of an actual issue. Some will use it as evidence that there's NOT an issue because it's not happening to everyone.

But I am helping one other clothes seller (in completely different sub-categories) on here as well who is experiencing very similar issues.

There's not significantly less buyers, we can confirm that with Terapeak or the market indicator on seller hub. We can see if these similar items are still selling as well - which they are.

There's definitely something strange happening in the category, as the #1 seller in the category is not even visible in search all day for me. About 50% of that stores offerings are auctions, and I can't find those either. Never had this happen, but definitely strange.

I don't know if eBay is the culprit or not. I'm trying to figure that out though. I don't want to presume anything, for or against eBay. If these items themselves are still selling, just not for this store specifically, there has to be some variable somewhere in the formula that is causing the problem. Have to try to narrow that down & figure out what.

Diversifying is honestly a great idea for everyone on eBay atm. Many differnet things could happen to suddenly hurt your stores. 

I just hope this forum is a source of constructive positivity for the OP, rather than a source of frustration. Suggestions are great, and it would be best for OP if we keep all options open. Rather than presuming it's competitors & lack of buyers, that's something we can test & confirm. In the end, it would be a good thing if it's just competitors, as competition gives a clear path to a solution. If it's not, then we have a bigger problem on our hands.

Message 36 of 84
latest reply

Totally agree with you.  I sell clothing in a so-called "saturated market".  Sales plummeting for the last couple of months.   Have reduced my presence on ebay, and have moved 75% of my listings to another site.  Not the other "E" site.   Doing GANGBUSTERS there, crickets here.  It is the location (venue).  It is not competition, or people "not wanting what you are selling".  People love my items on the other site, not so here.  So easy to sell over there.  No foreign sellers allowed.  Buyers have 3 days, yes that's THREE DAYS to return items.  Items are not allowed to be returned for fit issues (that's a biggie in the clothing business).  The whole atmosphere there is pro buyer AND pro seller, it's great.  It's so nice to make regular sales again, and not have to beat my head against a wall trying to figure out why this "location/venue" isn't working any longer.   I am so happy over there, and will be steadily reducing my inventory here until it's gone and I close my store.   Ebay is a dinosaur, the other site is a vital, youthful, energetic place to shop... a FUN PLACE to shop and sell, and people love it.  So, if it's not working for you here, it might not be you, it might be the location/venue.   Why not give another one a try?   You might like it and find yourself a new home, like I did Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 84
latest reply

@27flamingolane wrote:

Totally agree with you.  I sell clothing in a so-called "saturated market".  Sales plummeting for the last couple of months.   Have reduced my presence on ebay, and have moved 75% of my listings to another site.  Not the other "E" site.   Doing GANGBUSTERS there, crickets here.  It is the location (venue).  It is not competition, or people "not wanting what you are selling".  People love my items on the other site, not so here.  So easy to sell over there.  No foreign sellers allowed.  Buyers have 3 days, yes that's THREE DAYS to return items.  Items are not allowed to be returned for fit issues (that's a biggie in the clothing business).  The whole atmosphere there is pro buyer AND pro seller, it's great.  It's so nice to make regular sales again, and not have to beat my head against a wall trying to figure out why this "location/venue" isn't working any longer.   I am so happy over there, and will be steadily reducing my inventory here until it's gone and I close my store.   Ebay is a dinosaur, the other site is a vital, youthful, energetic place to shop... a FUN PLACE to shop and sell, and people love it.  So, if it's not working for you here, it might not be you, it might be the location/venue.   Why not give another one a try?   You might like it and find yourself a new home, like I did Smiley Wink

Not sure where you are talking about but it sounds like a more intimate venue which may appeal to a lot of buyers.  Also small venue means less competition.  I could go to the ranch and be a total standout there because there are very few listings.  But much less traffic.  So it is a tradeoff.

But yes I do agree about ebay being a dinosaur.  That is what my daughter told me when she was looking to furnish her apartment.  That was what my son told me when he was looking for items for his house.  Both told me, mom, there are so many other better places to shop.  I know my son logged on looking for something, did a search, made a groan, and quickly logged out.  My daughter was not even interested in looking here.

I am glad you were able to find an alternative, so far for me and what I sell nothing compares to ebay.  For what I sell I do tend to attract an older clientel which is what my jewelry is actually targeted to.

My jewely is more expensive and traditional (my daughter calls it fuddy duddy).  So ebay is where I belong, at least for now.

Message 38 of 84
latest reply

Boy, our kids really tell it like it is, don't they?  lol.

I'm glad it's working out for you here, and if it ain't broke, well you know the rest.

I tried so hard, to no avail and am glad I made the choice to move on.  Ebay has been very good to me in the past, but those days are past.  It was a hard decision, I loved it here.   But sometimes we just have do what's best for us.  I know others have great success here, or moderate success.  I wish them all the luck in the world.

Meanwhile, I'll keep a small footprint here for a few more months.  I love to check in on the boards here.  I wish you great success, sounds like you have a niche and are doing very well.  Continued success to you!

Message 39 of 84
latest reply

I need to clarify.

We all have different definitions of success.

For me my husband holds down a good full time job.

I have a part time job and do a seasonal job every year.

For me, I am making a proft.  Enough to support a family on.  No way.  But enough for the extras to make life more pleasurable.

So for me yes that is successful.

Message 40 of 84
latest reply

Seems the "new user experience" is not working too well for your family at the moment. That has been similar to our own feedback on it as well.

Question regarding jewelery, I would be scared to sell jewelery on here honestly. With it being expensive, the occasional scam would probably set back the margin quite a bit.

Is there anything you do to make it a bit more "safe" from fraud for that type of item? 

Message 41 of 84
latest reply

Thank You for that, we actually agree on way more than not. We certainly agree on the idea of a revamp. We also agree on the other online choices, not for us either. All real world venues for now, that's what we do best. sunglasses

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Message 42 of 84
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

Seems the "new user experience" is not working too well for your family at the moment. That has been similar to our own feedback on it as well.

Question regarding jewelery, I would be scared to sell jewelery on here honestly. With it being expensive, the occasional scam would probably set back the margin quite a bit.

Is there anything you do to make it a bit more "safe" from fraud for that type of item? 

I am a bit left brained, and I have read this highlighted part more than once.  I am just not following.

As far as the jewelry, I am sure you have read that my family owns a jewelry store in New York.  So I do get good deals from my connections over there.   So for any item I sell, I am making a good profit.  If I lose one to a scammer, the overall  profit still outweighs the loss.

So far I have been lucky.  I could puff up and tell you it is skill, but I am just as vulnerable as everyone else.  So far my biggest scam was the woman who ran over a $1,000 platinum wedding band.   But I learned from it.  I now accept returns for any reason.  What I face mostly is confused husbands getting jewelry not to their wives tastes and them wanting to return it.  Everything that comes back is checked by my gemologist and so far none of the stones have been switched - yet.  I also let people know this in my description.

I think my biggest asset is my confidence in the way I write my listings.  Until recently I have only sold in one category but it is one I know inside and out thanks to my family and recently passing the gia certification.  The biggest mistake sellers make imo is that they hem and haw making buyers think they may have an opening to exploit.  

I have professional photos taken.  So buyers would have a hard time saying I tried to hide something.  Everything I sell has a 3rd party independent appraisal which is shown in photos.  I am wordy.  I describe in great detail.

I let buyers know I love questions.  I rather you ask a lot of questions and be sure rather than guess.

In other words I portray myself as a tough cookie so if you are looking to scam someone you might have an easier tie moving on down the road to someone else.

I am also past the rookie mistakes.  My feedback lets people know I am not a rookie.

I pay for shipping.  I only use fed ex with all the bells and whistles.  Online tracking and signature confirmation.  Nothing left on porches or in open mailboxes.  It is in dark black letters in my description that this is a requirement.  A couple have tried to talk me out of it saying it made the transaction difficult because they were not home.  I apologized but did not budge.

I have been asked to send as gifts to different addresses.  Nope sorry.  You want it sent to a different address, we start again from scratch.

Since I pay for shipping I pack like 007.  Small box taped into bigger box, a ton of peanuts and paper so it does not budge.  I want it to look like pajamas from grandma, not jewelry.  Small boxes are a dead giveaway.

And if all that fails I have a very Italian last name.innocent

Message 43 of 84
latest reply

My wife and I always laugh when we go through a dry sales spell- we always joke, "Thats it, looks like we will never sell anything again, good run while it lasted"... because we know in a day or so we will sell a bunch of stuff. If your prices, pictures and products are good- relax.  If you are really bothered- put some stuff on sale. If all that doesn't help,  here is a magic spell guaranteed to restart your sales... Pufff! 

I am who I am- those who matter don't mind. Those who mind, don't matter.
Message 44 of 84
latest reply

I lived in Australia for two years. The United States has far more merchandise than what is available there. And i found the prices there to be far more expensive for both staple and designer goods as compared to the States. 

She gave the answer ^^^ to your question below in her original post.

So yes with certain things I can understand, but with common clothing, what would it cost to ship it there.  Is it worth it for most buyers when I am sure they have clothing stores down under and unless it is a designer item they can manage to clothe themselves.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 45 of 84
latest reply