cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold an item on eBay a week ago, but still don't see the money?

I sold a camera for a grand on eBay on May 29th, but I still have not seen any pending payments in my PayPal for it. I received a confirmation email saying the following:

"(Title: You've been paid!) "Good news, your item has been paid for. Now that you've received your payment of $xxxx, it's time to pack up your item and ship it out. Make sure you send it within 3 days, the handling option you selected in your listing."

I also contacted the buyer and they told me that they did make the payment. They said they are also willing to help look into why it isn't appearing. I am not sure if it is due to the amount of the sale being a larger number, and eBay is holding it to ensure that the buyer received the package (it arrived yesterday to the customer according to tracking), but it hasn't appeared in my PayPal. 

On a side note, I sold something after this for a few hundred dollars less, and the payment was received instantly and appeared in my PayPal (eBay is of course holding that too, but at least I can see it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Sold an item on eBay a week ago, but still don't see the money?

@luckythewinner  All good advice, but can you explain the feedback?  Scam payments do not show up on eBay's radar or allow a seller to leave feedback.  Something is wrong.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

@luckythewinner  All good advice, but can you explain the feedback?  Scam payments do not show up on eBay's radar or allow a seller to leave feedback.  Something is wrong.

Payment isn't required before a seller can leave feedback. If the listing did not require immediate payment, the scammer can click "Buy It Now", and then try to convince the seller that they've paid.

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

2) Email notifications are a convenience, but they are not reliable. Return addresses on emails mean nothing - even a novice scammer can "spoof" an email to make it look like it came from anyone they want. This is why eBay has its own internal messaging system that it controls - so buyers can't fake messages to make them look official. 

The unanswered question, if the OP received a spoof email, is how the scammer got their email address, when the OP insists they didn't reveal it to anyone.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

It's just all out of the ordinary for me. 

@beazachowsk-0 

Sorry the suggestion did not help.   Something is indeed 'out of the ordinary' if you sold items on this ID and there are NOT any visible in sold or completed.  If you have items for sale now, there are not any we can view either.  I was just checking to see if you were moved to Managed Payments, for that would be a reason nothing was showing in PayPal.  Back to the proverbial "drawing board"???????

You can see the two items from the feedback they give the buyers.

The buyer feedback is private.

Have a great day
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

@beazachowsk-0 wrote:

That is a good question...I used eBay a few times in the past, but its been a while. How can I find my way to my Managed Payments? I believe I only have PayPal set up, but I guess I never checked. I figure the only other thing I might have set up is my banking, but I doubt I do. Still, there COULD be a chance, but I feel like in that case I'd see it in my checking. 

The camera was sold using Pay Pal.

Did you receive an email from Pay Pal, saying you were paid?

Have a great day
Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@dryophelia wrote:

It could be helpful to those of us trying to help, if you provided an item number for this transaction. 

Check their feedback given to the buyers.

Have a great day
Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@beazachowsk-0 wrote:

Also, I have no idea why nothing is showing up for what I have sold...

I've been having that problem for a few years now.

None of my single items show up under solds.

Have a great day
Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Make sure tracking info is being uploaded to each transaction. They want to confirm the package is being delivered to the address.

I haven't scrolled through every response on here, but if you haven't sold very many items on your account, paypal possibly is holding funds until they confirm delivery via tracking. This happened to roughly my first 20 or so transactions years ago when I started selling. It's normal for new sellers.

In response to the first reply; it's not a "scam" to receive an email saying something like "you've been paid!" or "notification of payment received". Typically the email will come from paypal and of course you can just log into your paypal account if you absolutely feel you need to, the transaction always shows up there.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

It is odd that neither show up in "solds" or "competed".

For the last couple years, none of my single items show up under solds or completed.

Have a great day
Message 39 of 39
latest reply