cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold an item on eBay a week ago, but still don't see the money?

I sold a camera for a grand on eBay on May 29th, but I still have not seen any pending payments in my PayPal for it. I received a confirmation email saying the following:

"(Title: You've been paid!) "Good news, your item has been paid for. Now that you've received your payment of $xxxx, it's time to pack up your item and ship it out. Make sure you send it within 3 days, the handling option you selected in your listing."

I also contacted the buyer and they told me that they did make the payment. They said they are also willing to help look into why it isn't appearing. I am not sure if it is due to the amount of the sale being a larger number, and eBay is holding it to ensure that the buyer received the package (it arrived yesterday to the customer according to tracking), but it hasn't appeared in my PayPal. 

On a side note, I sold something after this for a few hundred dollars less, and the payment was received instantly and appeared in my PayPal (eBay is of course holding that too, but at least I can see it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Sold an item on eBay a week ago, but still don't see the money?

It could be a scam.  Where did you receive that message saying payment has been made?  Was it in ebay messages or a private e mail?

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@beazachowsk-0 

I don't see anything being sold on this account, do you have another one your using?

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

It was for sure an email from eBay, because the email address is the exact same address I received an email from for the sale I made right after the camera, and that second transaction I was paid for. The email address is ebay@ebay.com. Both of the emails for both sales, this one and the one that was successful, both came from this email address. 

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Nope, this is my only eBay account I have ever had. I only had two things up for sale (that camera, and a lens) but sold the camera (the one I am having an issue with) on Apr 29th, and the other item (a lens) on May 4th, so I'm not sure they would pop up in my public queue anymore. 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

I sold a camera for a grand on eBay on May 29th, but I still have not seen any pending payments in my PayPal

@beazachowsk-0 

I am sure you meant APRIL 29th?  If you are sure you didn't fall for some "text me" scammer, and your ID has not been moved to "Managed Payments", here is something you can check:

Go to your original listing and "pretend" you are going to relist.  Scroll down to see what email address was used for payment in that section.  If it is misspelled or incorrect, that is where the payment was sent.  Adding that (incorrect)  email addy to your PayPal account typically will allow the payment to show up.  

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Yes, you are correct, my mistake on the date. And I took your advice and tried that, but unfortunately the email is correct. I am hoping that maybe eBay or PayPal is just "holding" the funds behind the scenes due to the amount of money being much higher than normal, but I figured that I would at least see that money come through on a hold. The only confirmation I have is from eBay saying that I was "for sure" paid the money. I am unable to file any claims as well because eBay says I have already 100% been paid for that item. So I'm not sure if its something on PayPal's end? It's just all out of the ordinary for me. 

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

It's just all out of the ordinary for me. 

@beazachowsk-0 

Sorry the suggestion did not help.   Something is indeed 'out of the ordinary' if you sold items on this ID and there are NOT any visible in sold or completed.  If you have items for sale now, there are not any we can view either.  I was just checking to see if you were moved to Managed Payments, for that would be a reason nothing was showing in PayPal.  Back to the proverbial "drawing board"???????

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

I see 0 sold items for you.  Are you sure you have the money from the second sale?  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Yes, I am positive. I am in my PayPal account now and the money is currently in there from the second sale ($332.65 Money on Hold), but I can at least see it in there. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

That is a good question...I used eBay a few times in the past, but its been a while. How can I find my way to my Managed Payments? I believe I only have PayPal set up, but I guess I never checked. I figure the only other thing I might have set up is my banking, but I doubt I do. Still, there COULD be a chance, but I feel like in that case I'd see it in my checking. 

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

@beazachowsk-0   Something is a little (or a lot) off on this so do NOT ship that camera until you get it straightened out.  Here are a few notes.

1.  You said the sales are under this ID but your ID is showing NO active listings, NO sold listings, NO unsold auction listings.  Items are usually visible to see for 90 days after a sale so I can't understand why neither sale is showing.

2.  Most sellers have been moved to Managed Payments but there are probably a few infrequent sellers that are still on Paypal.  This may not be the case, particularly since you say you see the other payment in your Paypal account, but check your "Payments" tab in the Seller Hub to see if there is money in your Managed Payments account.  We can usually tell if a seller is in Managed Payments by looking at one of your listings but since none are appearing under your ID I can't do that.

3.  There are SO many scams out there, particularly for newer sellers selling expensive equipment, so do NOT trust an email that may have been spoofed to make it look very real that you received payment.  If you were ever contacted by a potential buyer asking you to text them or send them your email address, then this could very well be a scam claiming that payment was sent when it wasn't.

4.  Try contacting eBay support.  These days it's a "contact me" button but I've used that and had a call back within 2 minutes.  They should be able to tell you if the sale and payment really happened from the buyer's end.  

5.  Again, DO NOT ship that camera until you find where your pending or available payment is!

Good luck and let us know what happens. 

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Thank you very much, I think I might try to use the "contact me" button. Could you link me to that? 

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

@beazachowsk-0 

Payments are held for 21 days when the item sells for $1000 or more. 
When you log in to PayPal, what does it say about this transaction?

Did you give your email address to the buyer? Thieves will ask for the sellers for the email address do they can send a FAKE message, making it look like payment has been paid. 

It could be helpful to those of us trying to help, if you provided an item number for this transaction. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Also, I have no idea why nothing is showing up for what I have sold...that's really weird. I just sold that lens a few days ago, so I wonder how I can make that info public so that you can see it. 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply