cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a scam

Someone just offered me 80 above asking price on an auction sale of a purse. Is it a scam?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Is it a scam

It depends. If you where holding a "real" auction (meaning you started the bidding at $80 below the market value), the person offering $80 could be legit. If you are holding a "pretend" auction (meaning the starting price is at the market value), the person offering $80 above the opening bid would probably be a scammer. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

It could be.

Better to let them bid, best offers are generally for a lesser amounts, not more.

If you were to accept, the buyer may then ask you to text them to arrange payment, then you would know for sure it is a scam. They may also introduce a gift card scam.

They could send a spoofed email saying that they paid.

You are new, there are many predators and scams for new sellers. Generally, an offer over the asking price is a red flag, the only exception is if they thought the item was hot or underpriced and it would be bid up over the amount they offer.

Be careful and never respond to texting or email requests to take communications off ebay.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

What the going rate of that item?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

What is the real value of that item?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

Not sure on exact value, but it originally sold for around 300 and is in new condition. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

@sietho_83 No it's not always a scam. I detest waiting for an auction to end. I have many times sent a higher offer to a seller because #1- That is how much I am willing to pay, plus a tad higher to incite them to accept my offer; #2- I really want that item and do not have the desire to wait a week for the auction to end; #3- Sometimes I am simply not available at the time the auction will end so I send what is my highest amount and hope they will accept. 

About 60% of the times they do accept, I get my item, seller gets a sale with a good price, win/win for both of us. Of the others, they either flat out decline or ignore and it times out. Occasionally I will receive a message back calling me a scammer and saying they are going to report me for offering them money....

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

Replying with $170 does not give anyone an idea if the buyer is a scammer. Are you saying the starting bid is $170 and the buyer is willing to pay $80 above that for a total of $250 ? If the answer is yes, then the buyer is probably legit since you said a new one cost $300.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

Yeah that’s what I’m saying

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Is it a scam

OP lists auction style listings with best offer, which is the issue. I never liked this format and it makes no sense to me why eBay allows this as opposed to auction with BIN, which makes a lot more sense.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 11 of 11
latest reply