cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Metrics & Buyer Error

I cannot help but feel that the "Service Metrics" are the biggest and most costly scam I've ever seen on eBay.

Twice now - I've been hit with this...and each time it's been buyer error! Not seller error - BUYER ERROR!

At this moment I have 22 hits on over a 1,000 sales...and at least 16 are provably not my fault, but buyer error and there is nothing I can do about it! I literally have messages where buyers apologize for opening returns for the wrong reason...and yet I will pay thousands in extra fees!

Is anyone working to fix this? Can eBay be sued for unfair business practices? It's insane!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Service Metrics & Buyer Error

oh...and as a seller that sells a seasonal item...I'm being judged against my high season and against sellers that sell without seasons....so literally, this will happen to me every single fall & winter...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The best way we defend our selves is MICRO manage your store. eBay wants to be the manager so we are the micromanagers. I send verification pictures and statements before I even bill or ship an item. If they do not like my rules/statements and verify actual pictures of the item ordered or if they do not reply to my picture verification I cancel the order (and they are blocked) it has save me lots of headaches and returns.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Aren't you receiving defects for cancelling orders from buyers that fail to comply with your verification rules ?

How are you avoiding receiving defects & paying fees when a buyer submits payment but doesn't acknowledge & accept the rules you impose ?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@whiteyswrecking wrote:

The best way we defend our selves is MICRO manage your store. eBay wants to be the manager so we are the micromanagers. I send verification pictures and statements before I even bill or ship an item. If they do not like my rules/statements and verify actual pictures of the item ordered or if they do not reply to my picture verification I cancel the order (and they are blocked) it has save me lots of headaches and returns.

You realize that none of that is enforceable, right?

How are you canceling those orders? If you are doing it as buyer requested, I hope those buyers are filing reports on you for dodging non-performance defects.

What does your seller dashboard look like?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Actually 99% of my buyers are great about it, it gives them a chance to get a really good look at the part, make sure they want it and chance to back out, and returns have been way down my metric are great. 

YES i do loose fees,  but the cost of shipping bogus NAD claims, it has saved us a lot of money 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Also realize I sell used auto parts and 70% of the people have NO idea what they are ordering, let alone how to open there hoods. 

((  OH my mechanic says !!!! )))  guess what, it is wrong and I get a bogus NAD. So I do everything to protect myself and my customers from ordering the wrong parts 

Win Win 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@whiteyswrecking wrote:

Actually 99% of my buyers are great about it, it gives them a chance to get a really good look at the part, make sure they want it and chance to back out, and returns have been way down my metric are great. 

YES i do loose fees,  but the cost of shipping bogus NAD claims, it has saved us a lot of money 

How do you cancel when you haven't heard back from them?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@whiteyswrecking wrote:

Also realize I sell used auto parts and 70% of the people have NO idea what they are ordering, let alone how to open there hoods. 

((  OH my mechanic says !!!! )))  guess what, it is wrong and I get a bogus NAD. So I do everything to protect myself and my customers from ordering the wrong parts 

Win Win 

LOL, at first I thought you were being sarcastic an joking. If you don't mind me asking... how many bogus SNADs do you expect if you didn't do your routine?

From what you are describing, it's obvious I'm totally not cut out to be a used auto parts seller.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I have noticed that if I do  not hear back from them they do not want the part or it is the wrong part, and they just choose to run and hide hoping I will go away! And I do ! 

I do  not harass them, just let it go, (cancel and refund) pay my lost fees and move on 

So I let them know that the order will be canceled and give them a day or 2 to get back to me. 

I roll the dice, use buyer wants to cancel, because I have picture proof I have the part in stock and it is ready to be shipped so I do not use out of stock reason. 

All I can say it has been working great returns are down, have not had a return for a NAD/wrong item sent for a while and customers are glad for the verification, 1 last time to make the decision, and if it is the wrong part guess what i find out what they are really looking for, FIND that part, list it and make the deal. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I used to have a 50% + Return rate on used auto parts due to people not reading the listing correct, wrong year, make , model. ect. 

And they always return under NAD or wrong part,  even though they are the ones that ordered it. 

So to protect me and my buyers, this is what we do. 

As you can see from my feed back I do take care of my customers, Always will ,we take pride in our company and customer service 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I'm sorry, but that is simply impossible when dealing with my volume and type of merchandise.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

It's the e-bay way....accept it or leave.  I chose to leave and couldn't be happier!  A total scam!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply