cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a valuable item with repairs or let the buyer repair?

An older relative gave me a potentially very valuable bird bath. The only other one like it ANYWHERE online is being sold by a bonafide antique shop for almost $2000. While I don't expect to get that much I will ask for about 1/3 of that. 

While moving it I caused a piece to break off.  I have the piece and with the right glue it can be repaired. Is it better to sell it as is and let the buyer repair? Or should I repair it myself? I would think a repaired item would attract more buyers? Any advice?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Selling a valuable item with repairs or let the buyer repair?

If you think you can make a nice clean repair, I would do it.  However, you should definitely mention it in the description and provide a picture of the repaired area.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I would not sell anything broken if I could sell it not broken. 

Posting ID
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Absolutely I'll mention it and include clear photos. Thanks!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I am assuming this bird bath is rather large and heavy and this would make shipping a problem for both cost and possible damage. I would recommend trying to sell it locally on CL or FB. This also could help with your repair quandary because selling it locally allows the buyer to personally inspect the item.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sounds like something that can be broken during shipping- are you doing just 'local pickup' (not to mention sounds heavy, check weight, size and know how you plan to 'ship it'  (could be too big/heavy)

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Sounds like something that can be broken during shipping- are you doing just 'local pickup' (not to mention sounds heavy, check weight, size and know how you plan to 'ship it'  (could be too big/heavy)

Yes, sounds like something you could put 5 inches of tight bubblewrap around and double box it though it still might re-crack where the repair is. 

Posting ID
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you- all very helpful. Let me clarify- it will be sold LOCAL PICK UP ONLY- yes, it's very heavy. Second, it's a small piece that broken off and even with the broken off piece is probably worth something. It doesn't totally detract from the overall look or beauty and it's still functional as a bird bath. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

There are some items that are more suitable for local pickup than shipping.  And the fact that it's been broken, even if you can repair it successfully, makes it more susceptible to further damage.  Are you prepared to pay for the return shipping if that happens?  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

You are likely vastly overestimating the value of your item. A single store with an asking price of $2000 does not make it worth $2000.

To compare, only 3 birdbaths have sold on ebay for more than $300 in the past 3 months. Local pickup only eliminates 98 percent of potential customers. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Ok now you got me curious.

Can we see a picture(s) of this bird bath?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@tabitha1944 

This is not an item that should be sold on eBay.  Sell it locally.  You can post needs repair and the customer can turn around and state item was not described.  Not worth the hassle.  Just my opinion and out look. 

Happy Selling. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@tabitha1944 

This is not an item that should be sold on eBay.  Sell it locally.  You can post needs repair and the customer can turn around and state item was not described.  Not worth the hassle.  Just my opinion and out look. 

Happy Selling. 

This above is EXACTLY what should be. 

People don't come to ebay to shop things they have to 'pick up'. Better off using CL OU or something like that

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Well, it seems like the option to sell it "not broken" is not available for the OP.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply