cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers must upload tracking BEFORE Estimated Delivery Date to be covered for INR

Since other threads regarding this have gone off track, I just want to make sure everyone takes note of the Fall Update:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-fall/service-metrics-and-shipping.html#m17-...

Starting September 10, 2018, you will be required to upload tracking in the structured data field before the estimated delivery date has passed in order to appeal an "item not received" claim. eBay will not protect you from a claim if you send the tracking number to the buyer via email.

Long story short: if you fail to upload tracking before the Estimated Delivery Date passes and buyer insists he did not receive your order, you will lose the claim no matter what your tracking says.

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: Sellers must upload tracking BEFORE Estimated Delivery Date to be covered for INR

" ...our mailbox is clustered away from the house...   '

If that were my mailbox it would absolutely require a key to get into.

Well, actually, that is exactly what I have.

Message 91 of 135
latest reply

Re: Sellers must upload tracking BEFORE Estimated Delivery Date to be covered for INR

@emerald40 wrote:

Again why are you assuming uploading tracking is for your benefit.

As a buyer I want it.  I find it helpful.  I find it reassuring.  And I doubt I am the only one.

Again, if you are getting the item before it is supposed to be delivered - why do you need a security blanket to cover you in the hours that it doesn't matter?

As a buyer I find the notices clogging up my email that sellers send me about a package that I am told has been shipped when in reality it is sitting on the dining room table because there is no postal service on Sunday to be tantamount to fraud.

(*Bleep*)
Message 92 of 135
latest reply

I'm sure someone explained why uploading the tracking before the estimated delivery date, rather than after, helps eliminate fraud.   I just can't think like a criminal, so it escapes me.   I know I used to never upload tracking when I first started selling (before switching to online) and I never thought anything about it.

Message 93 of 135
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I'm sure someone explained why uploading the tracking before the estimated delivery date, rather than after, helps eliminate fraud.   I just can't think like a criminal, so it escapes me.   I know I used to never upload tracking when I first started selling (before switching to online) and I never thought anything about it.

Actually no one has explained how any fraud can be stopped by uploading tracking showing shipped within handling time before estimated delivery date than after.

The fraud is always postng the wrong tracking at any time.....Not when the tracking is uploaded.  The wrong tracking can be posted just as easily before EDD than after.

(*Bleep*)
Message 94 of 135
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Sellers who are OOS wait until after the buyer files a UID, then they either 1. upload tracking for the actual item that they finally have in stock or 2. upload a fake tracking number because they don't have the stuff to begin with, I am assuming to try to draw the buyer  into running out their MBG.

1. is a bad seller with inventory problems and bad service trying to dodge an OOS defect and 2. is a scamming idiot.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 95 of 135
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Postal worker told me it is all based on your neighborhood, whether it is considered safe or crime ridden.

The Post Office shouldn't be leaving mail sitting out in the open, particularly parcels with big branded logos on them screaming "merchandise inside!".  I don't see how Sellers... or eBay... can be responsible for "Porch Pirates".  That's like trying to hold the seller responsible for a car sold on eBay motors that got stolen from the buyer's driveway.

Lack of a delivery scan (or a tracking #) proves the item wasn't delivered, yet "proof of delivery" doesn't necessarily prove the item was delivered?  I may not know anything about ecommerce, but that is setting off my common sense alarm. 

I have explained my mailbox set up.  And I am sure I am not alone.

New plats no longer have door to door service.

For efficiency, unless you are grandfathered in, the postal service wants the postman to be able to sit in his truck, stick out his hand, and deliver to boxes that are clustered down the street.

In my state if you go to a lot of the coastal towns, their boxes are on main roads where you have to drive down a private street to retrieve your mail.

So what should the postal worker do, take all of them back to their truck?

Message 96 of 135
latest reply

@paulhua3 wrote:

" ...our mailbox is clustered away from the house...   '

If that were my mailbox it would absolutely require a key to get into.

Well, actually, that is exactly what I have.

Yes, my mailbox is locked.

But when the package is too big, it does not fit in.

That accounts for most of my ebay, etsy, and amazon packages.

Message 97 of 135
latest reply

a

@retrose1 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Again why are you assuming uploading tracking is for your benefit.

As a buyer I want it.  I find it helpful.  I find it reassuring.  And I doubt I am the only one.

Again, if you are getting the item before it is supposed to be delivered - why do you need a security blanket to cover you in the hours that it doesn't matter?

As a buyer I find the notices clogging up my email that sellers send me about a package that I am told has been shipped when in reality it is sitting on the dining room table because there is no postal service on Sunday to be tantamount to fraud.

Rose, woke up to this message this morning after I made a purchase last night.

And this is why for some of us it answers the question - why did you buy from him and not me when my prices are lower, I have better pictures, yap yap yap.

Because I as a buyer do not find this annoying or useless.  And especially this weeek when we will be having torrential rain most days.  I get an alert, take my coffee break, go home and retrieve my package.

Do you buy here as well as sell?  Maybe you should look at it from the buyer's point of view.  Because this seller is now in my favorites.  

Good morning Paula;
Thank you for your bid and your very prompt payment. I'll be sending your package out tomorrow, Monday, August 13th. You should receive it at your home in 4-5 days. You will receive an e-mail from e-bay when I print your postage. This e-mail contains the delivery conformation number for your package. The number is also available on the E-Bay Order details page.
Positive Feedback for your item will be left within 48 hours.
If there is any way I can further assist you, please don't hesitate to drop me a note in e-bay messages. Your satisfaction is very important to me.
Again, Thank you for your business and I hope you have a wonderful day.
Chris

Message 98 of 135
latest reply

And while you may like that email, there are buyers out there who would slam you into the middle of next week for what they consider "extraneous garbage" in their inboxes.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 99 of 135
latest reply

i simply don't understand why anyone wouldn't couldn't do this already..WHY is anyone NOT uploading the tracking and/or using labels that ebter it automatically....

a seller who is so lazy, and can't see why a buyer want to see and use the tracking, why ebay expects the tracking..Deserves not to win a case.....

I almost can't believe ebay has to state it....

Message 100 of 135
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
And while you may like that email, there are buyers out there who would slam you into the middle of next week for what they consider "extraneous garbage" in their inboxes.

Thanking me for my purchase and updating me as to when I can expect my package is "extraneous garbage?" 

Message 101 of 135
latest reply

To some.

All that type want or need to know is that it shipped and when to expect it.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 102 of 135
latest reply

To some.

Newbies do not always know where to find that information.  And then some panic when they think their money just went down a hole.

Older folks like me love the personalized service.  That is why we shop Nordstrom.

As for the rest, do they buy that much on here that their boxes are cluttered with a simple friendly email updating them on their packageand it will send them into a tizzy?

I have worked retail.  I have sold here 19 years.  I have bought a lot over those years.  JMO, but buyers would rather the information come to then then having to seek it out.  And most buyers do want to feel a little appreciated for their business, whether they admit it or not.

Message 103 of 135
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Thanking me for my purchase and updating me as to when I can expect my package is "extraneous garbage?" 

While I don’t like getting the extra messages like the reason I don’t is because when the seller uploads tracking I already get that information.  But if the seller isn’t uploading tracking it wouldn’t annoy me as much but I would prefer just a simple upload of the tracking so I can just follow and know what to expect on my own 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 104 of 135
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

To some.

Newbies do not always know where to find that information.  And then some panic when they think their money just went down a hole.

Older folks like me love the personalized service.  That is why we shop Nordstrom.

As for the rest, do they buy that much on here that their boxes are cluttered with a simple friendly email updating them on their packageand it will send them into a tizzy?

I have worked retail.  I have sold here 19 years.  I have bought a lot over those years.  JMO, but buyers would rather the information come to then then having to seek it out.  And most buyers do want to feel a little appreciated for their business, whether they admit it or not.

There shouldn’t be any finding that information I automatically get an email when my item ships.  I also get an email when my item shows delivered.  As long as tracking is uploaded eBay makes sure to send all the notices I need 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 105 of 135
latest reply